Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy cruze, Saturn astra, Chevy c10
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm wondering if anyone else is considering getting the 2.3 with an automatic. Im leaning towards black diamond with 2.3 auto. I don't think I need the extra power and cost of the 2.7, same with the sasquatch package. Also, I fear time will catch up to me, and make me regret the manual. Trying to be smart about a vehicle I plan to own for a long time, and then pass on to the next generation.
Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
2.3 with the auto will cover the majority of bronco's. That's the volume moving combo

2.7 is only 40 hp extra, it won't be much faster at all.

It's actually kinda disappointing how close the motors are. Ford probably has something in the cards to bypass the 2.7

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The GF has the 2.3 with 10-speed automatic in her 2019 Ranger (same engine/trans you are referencing). She doesn't find anything wrong with the transmission.

Bronco would not be a vehicle I buy if the 10-speed auto was the only transmission offering because of personal preference. I went into greater detail as to the experience driving that engine/transmission at the link below:

Is this partly why the Manual is not available for the 2.7L Engine?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
2.3 with the auto will cover the majority of bronco's. That's the volume moving combo

It's actually kinda disappointing how close the motors are. Ford probably has something in the cards to bypass the 2.7
PS: Look at the torque difference, if all you want to do is go off of HP/TQ as your only data points........ Since i'm assuming you also glossed over the difference between their fuel injection methodologies.

Also, the 2.7 will be in the Ranger Raptor. It's an incredibly potent motor.

That being said, i'll take my Bronco with 2.3 and manual.

OP
OP
Brandong1981

Brandong1981

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't see 2.3 auto mentioned or debated much on this site though. Seems everyone's is either 2.3 manual or 2.7 auto.

Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will definitely be going with the 2.7 if I go with the auto. I feel like it will have better resale if it's paired with the bigger engine because in my mind it's a decent trade off for no manual and more power, but I know I am more in line with the niche market than I am with the average consumer. For me, the only reason to go with the 2.3 is actually for the manual.

I plan to test drive a Ranger before ordering to see how I feel about the 2.3. If I like it, I may stick with that and a manual and the 33's that come with the badlands will be fine until they wear out. I just don't want it to feel gutless after I inevitably throw 35's on there whether it's through the Sasquatch package (auto required) or not.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't see 2.3 auto mentioned or debated much on this site though. Seems everyone's is either 2.3 manual or 2.7 auto.
I think this is because a lot of people on this forum think like me in the sense that it's a reasonable trade off to lose the manual for more power. We will have to see when all the reservations that aren't accounted for by forum members start rolling in.

OP
OP
Brandong1981

Brandong1981

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I will definitely be going with the 2.7 if I go with the auto. I feel like it will have better resale if it's paired with the bigger engine because in my mind it's a decent trade off for no manual and more power, but I know I am more in line with the niche market than I am with the average consumer. For me, the only reason to go with the 2.3 is actually for the manual.

I plan to test drive a Ranger before ordering to see how I feel about the 2.3. If I like it, I may stick with that and a manual and the 33's that come with the badlands will be fine until they wear out. I just don't want it to feel gutless after I inevitably throw 35's on there whether it's through the Sasquatch package (auto required) or not.

Ive been considering the resale value of the 4 vs 6. I agree that the 6 will probably be the easier sell down the road. But, I may be 6 feet deep when that happens.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's because this place is hardcore

Regular people will all require automatics and they'll take the small motor because it's $XXXX tba cheaper

It all really will depend on how much ford charges for the 6, if it's something like $4k then the auto 4 may be 75% of sales. If it's $1k the auto 4 may be much less popular

Sponsored

SoccerDude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I may go with 2.3L and 10 Speed, it all depends on the price.......

On the table: :p
2.3L w/manual (Default Option)
2.3L w/Auto ( if < 1500 )
2.7L w.Auto ( if < 3000 )

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm thinking 2.3 with auto...
The 10 speed is fine in 150's that I've driven, I'm just worried it's gonna make that poor 4 pot lug and shudder. Inline 4's really don't like spinning under 1500 rpm like a V6 or 8 can.

OP
OP
Brandong1981

Brandong1981

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm thinking 2.3 with auto...
The 10 speed is fine in 150's that I've driven, I'm just worried it's gonna make that poor 4 pot lug and shudder. Inline 4's really don't like spinning under 1500 rpm like a V6 or 8 can.

That's 1 of my concerns. Will pairing the 2.3 with the 10 speed make it a dog and take all the fun out of it.?
I have had several samari's over the years and part of the enjoyment with those is ringing every bit of power out of that little 4 banger as you can with the manual transmission. And that's the way I'm leaning. I'd prefer the 4 banger to the limits feeling over a 6 thats not working hard.

Decisions decisions.

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs