First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC Canyon SLT Mini-Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think most of you will be pleasantly surprised with the performance and probably somewhat disappointed with the economy. We have both a Ranger Super Crew 4x4 2.3L and Super Crew F150 4x4 2.7L in our family stable. Drag race isn't as lopsided as I expected, maybe 1 car length at 60, 2 at 1/4 mile?. Driven on similar loops, economy is roughly 10% better on 2.3 w/less weight and smaller tires. Probably smaller margin in the Bronco/same to same model and features. I happened to get exposure to the 2.3 4DR SQ and it was 100% good to go in normal street driving, reinforcing my expectation that the gearing and 10sp would make the 2.3 adequate. I ordered a 2.7, but will move to 2.3 with no hesitation, depending on constraints and timing of delivery.
That's good to hear. I had a 2016 F150 supercab with the 2.7, rated for 325hp/375tq in that year. I loved the 2.7 in there, it was faster than the 5.0s I test drove. Downsized to a 2016 GMC Canyon with the 2.8L duramax with 181hp and 369 tq, which is my current vehicle. I keep telling myself that it will feel like a huge jump to go to the 2.3 with all that extra horsepower and that I don't need the 2.7 after getting used to only 181hp. The duramax is a nice little truck but man do you have to punch it to pass on the highway.
Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Guess the biggest thing was what I project to be about 120-150 pound weight savings over the 2.7. Little more room in the engine compartment (maybe?). The $2K savings helped, but wasn't a big factor.

As for a sweet spot in value, for my use a Big Bend with locker and mid package is probably the best value. I still think the 2.3 will be fine, just not "super".

I have been having second thoughts on going Sasquatch! I don't need any of it, just want it. I may end up dumping Sasquatch and going up to a Big Bend. Still have a couple of months til I really need to decide.

Where those weight savings numbers from? I see 22 pounds difference between the 2.3 and 2.7, that's nothing. 418lbs vs 440lbs.

Plus the 2.3 has direct injection while the 2.7 features direct and port injection. Having port injection also is going to be better for long term use and life of the engine.

Laddyaddy19

Black Diamond
First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Evo X, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here is my build:
4 door Black Diamond Sasquatch 2.3
Carbonized Gray
Standard package
Hard top
Tow package

It was a difficult decision between the 2.3 and 2.7 but I needed to keep it under 50k and really wanted the MGV seats and washout floors. When the 2.7 first came out for the f150 most people cringed, but now it is a proven motor. I have a gut feeling that the 2.3 will be a good power plant , especially with the gearing and some weight savings. Love the 2.7 in my wife’s f150 though. It is very quick!!

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Where those weight savings numbers from? I see 22 pounds difference between the 2.3 and 2.7, that's nothing. 418lbs vs 440lbs.

Plus the 2.3 has direct injection while the 2.7 features direct and port injection. Having port injection also is going to be better for long term use and life of the engine.
i was looking at the vehicle weight charts that were posted a while back. They showed weight ranges between trims and engine transmission combos.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm hoping the 2.3 will be plenty. Gearing and tranny should make it plenty usable!
If it was a manual, then you would have a Granny and a tranny. I think there's a joke in there somewhere, but don't want to get banned for making it.

Anyway, this is an interesting club! Your numbers may be small, but it's a fun build. 2.3 is more than enough engine for what this vehicle is built to do and you avoid rowing your own gears. I'm guessing once the build numbers start coming out officially that these builds end up being on the lower end of the scale and incredibly rare once pre-orders are over. These could end up as quite the odd little optioned Broncos!

Sponsored

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The spec. sheet I have access to through work lists a dry weight of 338lbs for the 2.3 and 440lbs for the 2.7. I believe the weight for the 2.3 you are quoting is fully dressed and filled.

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The spec. sheet I have access to through work lists a dry weight of 338lbs for the 2.3 and 440lbs for the 2.7. I believe the weight for the 2.3 you are quoting is fully dressed and filled.

You are very likely correct. I have access to Google only and spent under a minute researching it.

That being said, I wouldn't worry about gaining or losing 100 to 150 pounds on a truck.

Also in a few years there will be lots of broncos on the road so why all these clubs? 2.3 auto sas, BL sas, mansqatch. They are all broncos and soon there will many examples of each.

Lai

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 F100, '70 F250, '08 Durango
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Calling my dealer to Squatch my OBX on Monday :love:

sasbend2

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Fox body, 2014 Mustang GT, 2006 F150 SC
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Big Bend
2 door
10 spd auto
mid
sas
aux switces
carbonized gray
Should be all I need.

Sponsored

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I originally ordered a 4 door BB 2.3 with 7MT and rear locker, but decided to switch to 4 door base sasquatch to get the front locker too. It's about $2000 more with the base sasquatch. I debated for a few days about spending that money(mainly whether I need the front locker enough to justify the cost, not whether sasquatch is a good deal or not). If Ford allows for base 4 door with the 7MT(and sasquatch, late availability or not), that will drop the price to a few hundred of the BB with just the rear locker. THAT would be my preferred build, by a huge margin.

Peter

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As I'm sure there will be a ManSquatch Club, I figured I'd start one for the 2.3 Auto Sasquatch crew. I also figure that this will be a small group....some might say "select". So let me know what you have ordered! Going to keep it to those that have put the order in...have to see the dedication!

Emailed order on 1/19/21, confirmed on 1/20/21. Here it is:

Base
4 Door
2.3 Auto
Sasquatch
Aux Switches
Floor Liners
Velocity Blue
Soft Top

I have a VIN and build date of the week of June 28th!!!!!!!!

NoDoorsNoProblem

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC Canyon SLT Mini-Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a VIN and build date of the week of June 28th!!!!!!!!
You better let us know how the 2.3/sas combo feels!! Probably one of the first to recieve that combo. I’m a September reservation so I have plenty of time to mull it over, and change my order if need be.

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You better let us know how the 2.3/sas combo feels!! Probably one of the first to recieve that combo. I’m a September reservation so I have plenty of time to mull it over, and change my order if need be.
No problem on that.....I just hope it actually gets built that week and I get it by the end of July. Like to have a little summer left with it!!!
Sponsored