Sponsored

2.3 Auto w/ 3.73 Gears on 35's Impression - improved driving experience over stock 32's

e90steve

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The first drive I had with the 4/door Bronco in stock form w/ 3.73 gearing, I immediately felt the truck was a bit spastic. To me it feels like it makes a lot of noise and does a lot of shifting. The throttle response was also a bit finicky/overly sensitive at times. With that said, in stock 32" on 18's you could certainly make the car go quickly, but there is a lot of racket going along with it.

Recently I went and put some Sasquatch takeoffs on the Bronco. I chose to go with the factory setup to try and retain as much stock ride quality as possible. I was initially concerned with the 3.73 gearing that I might lose some power. I would say overall I am pleasantly surprised with the outcome. Did the truck lose some power? I'm not sure if I would say it feels like it lost power, but I would say I feel like around town drives much more consistent. The throttle is no longer as finicky that's for sure and the car doesn't shift as often and sporadically. Instead power delivery is more linear and less sensitive. Overall I like the around town driving experience much better. The truck doesn't feel as much like a high revving snappy 4-Cylinder turbo, it feels more like a standard V-6. It still has good power, but has less of a boost hit at higher revs if that makes sense.

I haven't put the Bronco on the highway yet so it is still to be seen how it cruises at 70+, but for most of my around town driving I like the experience much better with the larger heavier setup. I'm sure gas mileage will take a hit but overall I feel the driving experience is improved w/ the 35's. Not sure if anyone has had a similar experience yet.

Ford Bronco 2.3 Auto w/ 3.73 Gears on 35's Impression - improved driving experience over stock 32's IMG_4177
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
e90steve

e90steve

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A small update, I finally got the Bronco on the highway and it def changes the driving dynamics at higher speeds. There is still plenty of power, but I would say natural cruising speed where the car wants to stay has dropped a few MPH. Also gas mileage has dropped around 1 MPG to around 17.8.

The slightly slower highway cruising sweet spot won't have too much of a negative effect on me personally, but I could see how it would make long trip highway warriors upset. There is still plenty of passing power when you need it, it's just now the natural spot the Bronco wants to live is maybe 65mph vs 70mph previously. I'm mostly an around town driver so really no negative for me.

Last edited:

Moose84

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I ordered the OBX with the 2.7, but I'm regretting not getting the rear locker and the 4.27. I would like to put new wheels with bigger tires on it eventually, but I'm concerned about losing power. I'm glad it hear it didn't affect your vehicle as much.

OP
OP
e90steve

e90steve

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I ordered the OBX with the 2.7, but I'm regretting not getting the rear locker and the 4.27. I would like to put new wheels with bigger tires on it eventually, but I'm concerned about losing power. I'm glad it hear it didn't affect your vehicle as much.
It’s not bad around town but the highway is a little bit less enjoyable. If it’s not your highway cruiser I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Sponsored

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The higher gearing is my main regret 9n my OBX build. Didn't realize I'd want some bigger feet on her this soon. This is at least a little encouraging.

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So you put Sasquatch tires and wheels on a stock OBX? Did you do any lift/level or is it the stock ride height? And is there any rubbing at all? We need more pics, i'd love to see a front, and front 3/4 angle seeing the tire poke with the smaller flares. I wanted to do the OBX with SAS, but I was looking to find a set of the painted flares to replace the SAS flares.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is hope... So while not a true locker, you probably could drop a very effective TrueTrac LSD in there and get closer to the functionality of a locker than you might expect. It would have been better to get the locker for the money, but TrueTrac LSD could be a good answer for you in the future (it's a helical geared differential like a Torsen, the differential runs around $500 or so). I am going to run this style of limited slip on the front axle of my OBX (if I ever get my Bronco), as I do have the rear locker.

Moose84

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is hope... So while not a true locker, you probably could drop a very effective TrueTrac LSD in there and get closer to the functionality of a locker than you might expect. It would have been better to get the locker for the money, but TrueTrac LSD could be a good answer for you in the future (it's a helical geared differential like a Torsen, the differential runs around $500 or so). I am going to run this style of limited slip on the front axle of my OBX (if I ever get my Bronco), as I do have the rear locker.
Thanks for the information! To be honest, I'm more interested in the higher gear ratio that comes with the rear locker. I'm concerned with a drop in performance if I go to bigger tires.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the information! To be honest, I'm more interested in the higher gear ratio that comes with the rear locker. I'm concerned with a drop in performance if I go to bigger tires.
Just remember, if you change the rear gears, you have to change the front too. They should have a 4.70 gear set for the M190 later this year. Alternatively you can install the M220 with the 4.7 and locker, but it requires new axles too.

Sponsored
OP
OP
e90steve

e90steve

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So you put Sasquatch tires and wheels on a stock OBX? Did you do any lift/level or is it the stock ride height? And is there any rubbing at all? We need more pics, i'd love to see a front, and front 3/4 angle seeing the tire poke with the smaller flares. I wanted to do the OBX with SAS, but I was looking to find a set of the painted flares to replace the SAS flares.
Yes they fit no problem. No rubbing at all. Stock height for now, but I'm putting a zone 2" lift on next week.

The driving experience isn't bad at all. The car isn't as snappy as it used to be, but still has plenty of power when you gas it. Gas mileage is down about 1MPG and highway cruising sweet spot is about 2-3mph less than before.

Ford Bronco 2.3 Auto w/ 3.73 Gears on 35's Impression - improved driving experience over stock 32's IMG_4164
Ford Bronco 2.3 Auto w/ 3.73 Gears on 35's Impression - improved driving experience over stock 32's IMG_4167
Ford Bronco 2.3 Auto w/ 3.73 Gears on 35's Impression - improved driving experience over stock 32's IMG_4165

savethewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd Gen Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Regear (as others stated). Problem solved (y)
4.7 is fairly impressive for a stock offering from Ford , but on 35's many drivers could probably benefit from being a smidge higher. Still somewhat dependent on your usage.

OP
OP
e90steve

e90steve

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

35’s on the standard gears isn’t bad at all. Yes it isn’t as peppy, but I prefer it vs the spastic original setup.

Bronco Boater

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford f 150 2.7 Echo boost
Your Bronco Model
Base
E90steve
I love the look of your truck. I am getting a 2 door base and I just bought used a set of the Sasquatch wheels and tires to put on. So with no mods at all they fit on your truck with no rubbing? Did u remove crash bars?

OP
OP
e90steve

e90steve

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

E90steve
I love the look of your truck. I am getting a 2 door base and I just bought used a set of the Sasquatch wheels and tires to put on. So with no mods at all they fit on your truck with no rubbing? Did u remove crash bars?
Thank you! Yes they fit fine no issues. Only modification is removing the crash bars.
Sponsored