NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
These engines sound like we’re going back to the days of adjusting points and adjusting the carb.

Maintenance beyond an oil change&air filter in under 100k is crazy talk in 2020.
Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
These engines sound like we’re going back to the days of adjusting points and adjusting the carb.

Maintenance beyond an oil change&air filter in under 100k is crazy talk in 2020.
Yeah, is this a ford specific problem?
Seems like this is a big issue with ranger, but there's a lot of cars using direct injection today and I haven't heard this much fuss from any of them

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, is this a ford specific problem?
Seems like this is a big issue with ranger, but there's a lot of cars using direct injection today and I haven't heard this much fuss from any of them
Hyundai has similar issues, in fact if your behind one and it gives it decent throttle it essentially “rolls coal”.
VW/Audi has (had?) similar issues as well.

Plenty of examples of building the engine correctly so that this does not happen, why in 2020 this is still an issue? Can’t tell you that. Frankly it makes more sense to go back to pre-DI engines rather than putting out a half baked engine.

buildbigboats

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, it happened to my Toyota Tacoma. That thing is sooooo reliable. Its a keeper.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base

Most of this is completely overblown. A 2.3 ecoboost is easily going to get you to 200k with minimal problems. As much as people say that “it has to work harder, heavier vehicle etc” the gearing is also VERY favorable so the 2.3 should be fine within reason. Also, maintaining the 2.3 will be easier for spark plugs etc. I actually just made a profile at the Mustang6G forum and I’m going to start a thread specifically about higher mileage ecoboost engines since there hasn’t been one in over a year. Just to get some better opinions.

The 2.7 is easily a 300k mile engine, but will be a bit more to maintain. Either one is going to be way more reliable than any Bronco engine so far.

Last edited:

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Most of this is completely overblown. A 2.3 ecoboost is easily going to get you to 200k with minimal problems. As much as people say that “it has to work harder, heavier vehicle etc” the gearing is also VERY favorable so the 2.3 should be fine within reason. Also, maintaining the 2.3 will be easier for spark plugs etc.

The 2.7 is easily a 300k mile engine, but will be a bit more to maintain. Either one is going to be way more reliable than any Bronco engine so far.
The 2.3L has the coking issues, no telling how much extra maintenance is “enough” to prevent a problem until you have a problem.
Also a couple extra spark plugs won’t make a dent in anyone’s budget ?

It does appear most 2.3 engine failures that do happen are early in life while Still under warranty, once your past that stage it’s only slightly more work. I do wish the electronics would let the engine still operate at normal speeds when the turbo fails though, huge annoyance of mine.

I’m mechanically inclined enough to keep the 2.3L going, it’s an extra hassle I would prefer not to have but I’m not going to let that stop me from a base 7 speed.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2.3L has the coking issues, no telling how much extra maintenance is “enough” to prevent a problem until you have a problem.
Also a couple extra spark plugs won’t make a dent in anyone’s budget ?

It does appear most 2.3 engine failures that do happen are early in life while Still under warranty, once your past that stage it’s only slightly more work. I do wish the electronics would let the engine still operate at normal speeds when the turbo fails though, huge annoyance of mine.

I’m mechanically inclined enough to keep the 2.3L going, it’s an extra hassle I would prefer not to have but I’m not going to let that stop me from a base 7 speed.
I was more referring to probably need to use the dealership for the plugs because I was assuming it would be a clusterfuck to change them on the 2.7

Just watched a YouTube video for it on the F-150 2.7.... I’m honestly super surprised. Looks easier than my 2005 Explorer plugs were since they’re basically on top. Was expecting them to be on the bottom and impossible to get to without pulling out half the engine.

Last edited:

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was more referring to probably need to use the dealership for the plugs because I was assuming it would be a clusterfuck to change them on the 2.7

Just watched a YouTube video for it on the F-250.... I’m honestly super surprised. Looks easier than my 2005 Explorer plugs were since they’re basically on top. Was expecting them to be on the bottom and impossible to get to without pulling out half the engine.
250 or 150?

Ive been fortunate enough never to have hard to change plugs on a personal vehicle, didn’t realize that was a thing, particularly for a maintenance item.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
250 or 150?

Ive been fortunate enough never to have hard to change plugs on a personal vehicle, didn’t realize that was a thing, particularly for a maintenance item.
F-150 I edited right before you posted lol.

Plugs should be replaced around every 100k miles is my understanding. The platinum irdium unobtainium whatever plugs that ford puts in factory may be 120k though.

It can get expensive for some engines. My dad paid $500 or so for our newer explorer due to the plugs being on the back of the engine block

Sponsored

Proudy202

Black Diamond
First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Me and a friend have actually just gone through the process of cleaning the carbon build up off his 55k 2.0T Audi A4, it is not a job I want to be doing every 50k on the Bronco (even if that is 4 years apart)

From the get go I'll be doing a catch can, using premium gas, good quality oils and regular maintenance, thinking 5-7k oil changes...plus the old Italian Tune Up (or drove it like I stole it)

After warranty is up I'd be tempted to look at something like this...
https://www.speedperf6rmanc3.com/products/port-injection-fuel-kit-for-ford-ecoboost-2-0-2-3l.html

I know it's more performance based and pricey, but if that and a good tune keeps the engine going for the next 15years I'll be happy, I'm not planning on getting rid of the Bronco I'm hoping it becomes a future classic!!!

This is all of course dependent on if the 2.7 bolted to the manual becomes an aftermarket option...in that case that will be my path!!!

JerseyRuss

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Most of this is completely overblown. A 2.3 ecoboost is easily going to get you to 200k with minimal problems. As much as people say that “it has to work harder, heavier vehicle etc” the gearing is also VERY favorable so the 2.3 should be fine within reason. Also, maintaining the 2.3 will be easier for spark plugs etc. I actually just made a profile at the Mustang6G forum and I’m going to start a thread specifically about higher mileage ecoboost engines since there hasn’t been one in over a year. Just to get some better opinions.

I like hearing some confidence about a 2.3 getting up to 200K miles I plan on the 2.3 Manual but it will be a high mileage vehicle for me. Is there any concern I should have about it being manual 7 vs the 10 spd auto. Generally, I would think you run higher RPM's before shifting in a manual vs what the 10 spd auto is gonna do. Will this cause some accelerated wear?

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My understanding and research indicate that it’s not a Ford issue, it’s a direct injection issue. 2.7 uses both direct and port to send fuel over the valves. 2.3 is direct into the cylinder. Fuel type or traditional “carbon buildup“ is not the primary issue. It is made more significant by the crankcase gases (via PCV valve) being combined with incoming air charge not being combined with fresh fuel (like in port or throttle body introduction of fuel). This lets the oil coat the intake and valves. It can be more severe in vehicles driven short mileage (not warmed up) or low rpm/load driving. I believe the intent of the catch can and occasionally driving aggressively are to counteract these issues. I will do both if I opt for the 2.3 (still on the fence).
Sponsored