Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not sure you're understanding the "can of cleaner" thing. You understand that I'm talking about the occasional use of something like CRC Intake Valve and Turbo Clearer? I think your mental model of the thermodynamics of this scenario might be off by an order of magnitude or three.

Interesting on the head-pull. I've never heard anything about pulling the head. Most are just blasting the intake valves with walnut media. This requires pulling the intake manifold. I'm not really sure what would be gained by pulling the head, except maybe the mechanic's child's college fund.

Care to post a source?
Sponsored

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think a catch can and some occasional methanol through the intake tract while it's at operating temp will eliminate 99% of this problem. Not something to lose sleep over at all.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With my old Mustang, got a catch can and emptied it every 2k Miles

I gotta find the old pic, but I swear, I got an empty $tarbuck$ Expresso cup and by the time I was done, you swear I gotta double shot

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is it? I've not heard that, though I haven't really looked either. I have the 2.3 in an RS, and for what it's worth my Blackstone reports have come back with no signs of fuel dilution so far.
The bronco and ranger have a slightly different version of the engine though so that may affect it as well

Sponsored

steevenk

Black Diamond
First Name
kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 AWD Astro, '90 G20 Van, '14 Subaru Forester XT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah, is this a ford specific problem?
Seems like this is a big issue with ranger, but there's a lot of cars using direct injection today and I haven't heard this much fuss from any of them
No, 3 of my last 4 cars have this “issue”. The intake valve cleaning is even in my 2.0T Forester XT maintenance schedule. It is also in the Audis’ maintenance schedules (at least the couple I have owned).

NurseDan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm curious why people are interested in the 2.3? I'm only considering it because I want a MT. If the MPG is only +/- 1-2 MPG the 2.3 is going to be a really hard sell for me. The $1-3k to upgrade the 2.7/10 speed is only a small fraction of even the base model. The whole point of a 4 banger to me is price point, and I don't think this looks like it's really going to be that economical of a choice over the 2.7.

I have no concerns over the power of the the 2.3.
The manual is all I’m interested in and will take whatever engine gets me the manual. Not going to be wheelin’ hard and don’t have much of a lead foot so the 2.3 should be fine, not that I have a choice :)

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm curious why people are interested in the 2.3? I'm only considering it because I want a MT. If the MPG is only +/- 1-2 MPG the 2.3 is going to be a really hard sell for me. The $1-3k to upgrade the 2.7/10 speed is only a small fraction of even the base model. The whole point of a 4 banger to me is price point, and I don't think this looks like it's really going to be that economical of a choice over the 2.7.

I have no concerns over the power of the the 2.3.
A V6 has twice as many heads, cams, turbo chargers, headers etc, and a 4 is almost always easier to work on with more space. The difference in power is small, the 4 makes 87% HP and 77% torque of the V6, not a lot. There is also a weight penalty with the V6. The price difference is probably closer to the upper range of the numbers you quoted, and 1-2 MPG is not insignificant. Your argument is like the proverbial "only a few more dollars a month" sales pitch. If you are interested in all the power you can get, sure go with the V6, but there are compelling reasons for the 4. My guess is the vast majority of buyers will go with the 4.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
You could be correct with the early orders. Once the rush is over and lots are teaming with Broncos, most buyers will be looking at this for family SUV duty, something a little smaller and cooler than the Explorer.

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007LarietCC4x4, 2018FocusTit, 2016Jeep reneTH
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I saw that the 2.3 EcoBoost has Gasoline Direct Injection, instead of a combination of port and GDI. The 2.3 is the engine that I plan to get on the Bronco.

With that said, how do you clean the carbon buildup on the valves on a 2.3? Do you put higher octane gas?
Just use a good fuel additive in every tankful and never use off brand gas. If the gas is cheap its cheap for a reason. amsoil, chevrons techron, etc. will keep the deposits from forming. We took random samples of gas and ran them through our lab as part of the annual compliance testing program and we almost never found isssues with name brand products most issues involved off brand and cut rate chain fuel and independants.

bf4445

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007LarietCC4x4, 2018FocusTit, 2016Jeep reneTH
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
properly formulated they don't increase temp they modify the burn for a more complete combustion so carbon is not deposited and over time exsisting deposits will be removed. On my truck i monitor the exhaust temp and have never seen an increase. My jeep gets 2mpg better with an additive than without developing better low end power on hills. What kills turbos is lack of cooling especially if the engine is turned offafter heavy use. I've seen kits to eliminate this issue for trucks or you can just let the engine idle for a bit after heavy use before shutting the engine down. I never lost a turbo and i religously use fuel additives and have for at least half a million miles or more.
Sponsored