Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Going to drive a 2.3l Ranger today to fill my curiosity. I’ve been in the 2.7 camp for awhile, but reviews I’ve seen and people are happy with the 2.3. So, I’m intrigued enough to go drive one.
Sponsored

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Going to drive a 2.3l Ranger today to fill my curiosity. I’ve been in the 2.7 camp for awhile, but reviews I’ve seen and people are happy with the 2.3. So, I’m intrigued enough to go drive one.
I've been converted to 2.3L from the 2.7L. I've driven both and while the 2.7L is pretty powerful and quick, the 2.3L is no slouch. It's going to be very solid coupled with sport and the other goat modes. I thought the Ranger exceeded my expectations and I didn't even have it in sport mode. I drove an XLT Ranger. It was nicer than I anticipated as well.

If I ever want more out of the 2.3L, I'll pay for the Ford Performance tune. I'll end up right near the ratings for the 2.7L.

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Think we could fit a 69L under the hood?
Ford Bronco 2.3 EcoBoost Engine - The Details You Should Know 0A19D694-79F6-4A62-AE59-18918A8342A2

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I'll play devil's advocate... if a catch-can setup was required, why would manufacturers not include one from the factory? If it could prevent premature engine wear/failure, would it not be in their best interest to prevent warranty repairs?

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I'll play devil's advocate... if a catch-can setup was required, why would manufacturers not include one from the factory? If it could prevent premature engine wear/failure, would it not be in their best interest to prevent warranty repairs?
They are not a required mod, just a beneficial one.
Catch cans require additional maintenance. Freezing temperatures can also create additional precautions due to water vapor.
Most all the damage and performance loss is over time. Meaning it won't show up for a while and is considered normal wear. I think someone would have a tough time putting in a warranty claim for dirty intake valves.

Manufacturers don't want your car to run forever, but I want mine to.

Last edited:

Sponsored

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have thoughts. I installed a catch can on my Focus ST and was glad I did when I saw the gunk and crud I was not putting back into the 2.0’s cylinders via the PCV. Even though the 2.7 in my F150 is DPI I installed a UPR catch can in it. Same story, lots of gunk intercepted and not reburned or deposited in the intake manifold.

UPR just released their 2.3 catch can/mounting bracket kit and I’ve ordered one for my yet-to-be-built Bronco. With supply and manufacturing capabilities being sketchy globally still, I don’t want to be waiting for products I want to have for Day 1 installation on my Bronco.

No doubt in my mind over adding a catch can to DPI engines, though others will have differing opinions.
do you have a link for the mounting bracket for the 2.3L? Looking to purchase the UPR Catch can and im not sure if the bracket it comes with will mount on my bronco? Less than a thousand miles just took delivery earlier this month.

looking at this one
https://www.amazon.com/UPR-2011-2021-Ecoboost-Separator-Catch/dp/B08KJF9QJD/ref=sr_1_18_sspa?crid=2OLRWN337P4NL&keywords=aig+air+oil+separator&qid=1666622541&sprefix=AIG+,aps,124&sr=8-18-spons&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840&psc=1

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The UPR comes with mounting hardware to locate it just in front of the battery. Easy access IMO.

Just be sure to use the correct hose - the longer one is the “dirty” line - either way works - but, I’ve got a bit of extra slack now - and trust me - once you get the fittings attached - you will rejoice and not want to attempt to remove them. Your knuckles will thank me.

Ford Bronco 2.3 EcoBoost Engine - The Details You Should Know 7DAB4A21-B3FB-4C85-B867-0BB0C83AC0D8

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just be sure to use the correct hose - the longer one is the “dirty” line - either way works - but, I’ve got a bit of extra slack now - and trust me - once you get the fittings attached - you will rejoice and not want to attempt to remove them. Your knuckles will thank me.
Yup! Getting the stock hoses disconnected and then getting the UPR hoses connected is a challenge, and not one I want to do again. On the positive, I found it interesting to have a good look at the back of the engine when I was doing the connections…

BluePonyGT

Badlands
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed the Mishimoto today. Good investment IMO - as soon as you disconnect the PCV from the lower connection you can see oil in the line. I also see about 1/3 of a qt. disappearing somewhere over the last 3000 miles. It has to be vanishing back into the intake. So in either case putting an oil separator is a good idea.

The only thing I didn't like about this setup was the fact that the can is mounted to the firewall, so you have to reach to get to it to empty it.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They do. It’s called an air-oil separator.
Sponsored