Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
Bronco
Outer Banks
I had a 4cyl 93 nissan 4x4 years ago. A group of us from work would go offroading sometimes. We didnt do anything too extreme but we did go over some rough terrain and steep rocky hills. I never had an issue where I didn't have enough power. Especially in 4L. I think the 2.3 will be more than enough for most offroading.
Advertisement

Datoad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Jeep LJ Rubicon, 17 Mustang
Bronco
Badlands
I had a 2002 Mustang Gt 260HP from the factory.
I have a 2017 Mustang Ecoboost 310HP.😎

bbostic5

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '08 Civic, '93 RX-7 FD
Bronco
Undecided
I like you speed guys in here. I sold my 93 RX-7 FD last year. Modified damn near every part on that car, save for the body. When I sold it, it was a little over 2600 lbs and put down a little under 650 whp on the dyno. Absolutely terrifying and exciting to drive, especially on the stock tranny and rear end. Nothing has ever been less reliable either :LOL:.

I've been using an auto 08 Civic as a daily for a few years, so getting into a manual Bronco will be a breath of fresh air. The torquey, hopefully reliable, engine will be great as well. I don't plan on modifying the engine, save for maybe a Ford Performance tune, but it will definitely not be necessary.

Edit: I will absolutely upgrade the intercooler. The stocker is tiny with plastic end tanks.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Undecided
The 2.3 is a very impressive engine but the off-idle torque is very lacking compared to a V8.
Which is irrelevant if you have the gearing to support it. Remember that torque at the wheels = engine torque x total reduction ratio. (transmission + transfer case + diff).

I'm pretty ignorant about what kind of reduction older V8 off roaders had.

But with the 7 Spd manual, the 2.3 seems an ideal match for crawling.

Advertisement

Ridergraphix
Advertisement