Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Someone probably already mentioned this, but the old school v8 typically didn't come stock with turbo.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Huh, I don't think anyone noticed that, haha.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Moparguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Mansour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 MX5 GT - 2010 MX5 T
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Sponsored

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No lol. I’m saying I can’t wait till people get their Broncos and think they’re fast. Any engine.
People are buying the wrong vehicle if they are looking to:
  • tune the Bronco up to be a speed machine,
  • modifying their exhaust for louder rumble,
  • expanding the cupholder capacity to 13,
  • modifying the towing capacity to haul 8,000 #
  • Flex sealing the entire chassis so it will float
  • chopping the suspension down and installing airbags
But if that's how they want to spend their money...while the rest of us be:
Ford Bronco 2.3 Ecoboost vs older V8s tenor

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't really understand the hoopla about horsepower and the 2.3L The 2.3L stock makes plenty of power to get you through the trail.

What is much more important to me is longevity and reliability. I expect the Bronco is like most vehicles, and that the average buyer will keep it closer to five years than 10. I guess that's why hp is so important to buyers, because they won't own it for long after the powertrain warranty has expired?

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Haha! At least someone gets it! 🤣 Everyone else thinks I’m insulting their cars! I drive a work van and I have multiple roads this happens on, the road towards my house is this way. People will cut me off, flip me off I’ve even been rammed 3-4 times by some douche in a truck because he’s mad he ran out of road to pass me, he broke my mirror. I just avoid the road now and go a different route. So when I’m in my car I take joy in laughing at them when they get next to me.
That's why my current project car is a C6 Corvette. I take it out only once in a while as it is a work in progress but it sure is fun when all those ha ha's try to cut me off and run out of power......:)

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's why my current project car is a C6 Corvette. I take it out only once in a while as it is a work in progress but it sure is fun when all those ha ha's try to cut me off and run out of power......:)
Beautiful thing ain’t it? I like surprising people who think they’re going to be racing an R/T and I’m going 60 before they’ve even left the line. Reminds me of a day at the track when this kid in a BMW laughed at my Challenger when I was curious how much it weighed. He wasn’t laughing when I smoked him off the line and beat him down the track.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

People are buying the wrong vehicle if they are looking to:
  • tune the Bronco up to be a speed machine,
  • modifying their exhaust for louder rumble,
  • expanding the cupholder capacity to 13,
  • modifying the towing capacity to haul 8,000 #
  • Flex sealing the entire chassis so it will float
  • chopping the suspension down and installing airbags
But if that's how they want to spend their money...while the rest of us be:
Ford Bronco 2.3 Ecoboost vs older V8s tenor
See, you're wrong. That GIF is the face I want folks to have after I pop a wheelie when the light turns green đź’Ş

Sponsored

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly if I had f- you money I'd buy two badlands.

1. That would stay pretty much stock for bronco stuff and I would never post it here.

2. The other that I would lower, add te37s wrapped in cup 2s , convert to rwd only and swap in a crate civic type r motor with the worst exhaust I can find. I'd post this daily just to watch the gate keepers lose their shit.

my buddy's 2jzgte f100 would be my muse
Ford Bronco 2.3 Ecoboost vs older V8s Screenshot_20210317-164604

Last edited:

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Horsepower is for highway speeds. In aerospace and racing they learn that overcoming wind resistance takes gobs of HP the faster you go.

I compare a Bronco to my old 95 4Runner. It had about 150 HP and was fine for the roads of those times (65-70 speeds max). Today, most go 80 MPH around here. I don't do that stupid stuff, 70 is enough for me. You'll need about 25 more horsepower from the old 4Runner for that. So 175 would do. 100 more than that? Should do very well.

Offroad, like most are saying, you need very little power other than climbing hills. My old 4runner did fine going up 12,000 ft Colorado passes with huge inclines. At 10-25 MPH. Going up slightly lower altitudes on pavement you'd have to downshift from 5th....then sometimes again to 3rd. Wind resistance kills.

I'm getting the 2.3, it will be enough power for two reasons: I like standards, and can shift to gain a power edge. The manual will be lighter, the engine will be lighter. And for every few lbs you take off, you gain a few "power to weight horsepower". If the 2.3 weighs $500 lbs less, I again gain a few "horsepower". I bet they'll feel about the same when driving at sane speeds (under 80 MPH).

Last edited:

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

On longevity, I'm worried about any high speed parts with bearings (read: turbos). BUT - worse case you do what? Buy a new turbo? Big deal.

Broncogoat

Badlands
First Name
lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Trac, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m getting a Bronco because of the manual transmission. If the new Bronco was auto transmission only, I would not buy it.

If the 2.7 was available with the manual I would upgrade to that, but it isn’t. But I am not concerned, the 2.3 will be perfectly adequate for my needs.

This will be my 4th Bronco and my 2.3 will be by far the most powerful. I have also owned 3 Ford Mustangs in my time, a 1966 with a 289 and 3MT, a 1971 BOSS 351 with a 4MT, and a 1986 GT with a 5.0 and a 5MT. This 2.3 will be more powerful than all of those. I’m really looking forward to my new Bronco.
Keep in mind the bronco going weight around 1,500 lbs more than your old Mustangs and the Boss 351 had 330 horses a bit more than the 2.3.
Sponsored