First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had a 4cyl 93 nissan 4x4 years ago. A group of us from work would go offroading sometimes. We didnt do anything too extreme but we did go over some rough terrain and steep rocky hills. I never had an issue where I didn't have enough power. Especially in 4L. I think the 2.3 will be more than enough for most offroading.
Sponsored

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like you speed guys in here. I sold my 93 RX-7 FD last year. Modified damn near every part on that car, save for the body. When I sold it, it was a little over 2600 lbs and put down a little under 650 whp on the dyno. Absolutely terrifying and exciting to drive, especially on the stock tranny and rear end. Nothing has ever been less reliable either :LOL:.

I've been using an auto 08 Civic as a daily for a few years, so getting into a manual Bronco will be a breath of fresh air. The torquey, hopefully reliable, engine will be great as well. I don't plan on modifying the engine, save for maybe a Ford Performance tune, but it will definitely not be necessary.

Edit: I will absolutely upgrade the intercooler. The stocker is tiny with plastic end tanks.

11Bronco1776

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1994.5 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The 2.3 is a very impressive engine but the off-idle torque is very lacking compared to a V8.
Which is irrelevant if you have the gearing to support it. Remember that torque at the wheels = engine torque x total reduction ratio. (transmission + transfer case + diff).

I'm pretty ignorant about what kind of reduction older V8 off roaders had.

But with the 7 Spd manual, the 2.3 seems an ideal match for crawling.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I take back everything I said on page 1. My slow ass Gladiator will get smoked by the 2.7L Bronco and possibly even the 2.3L lol.

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered 2.7L because never in my life, saw a car enthusiast who bought the smaller engine and was happy with it.
I have, however, been witness to many a buyer settle for an automatic and regret it...

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Iā€™m getting the 2.3 because of the manual if offered with the 2.7 not sure I would take that twin snail donkey motor.
I would take a 250 hp v8 just for the sound ,but the bronco is pretty heavy.

Mustbeheresomewhere

Badlands
First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Chevrolet Silverado, 2022 Bronco Badlands 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The other engines mention were not turbo charged. I fear the strain on the tiny engine will cause a lot to fail for those using on trails as turbos lose power when hot and if your climbing a mountain they are going to get hot. 2.3 May be okay in a light little mustang with 20lbs tires or payment driving trucks , but true off road could be a different story. I would rather have a large non turbo 8v without the worries that come with super chargers, but that's not an option so going the the V6 like most. I prefer to put as little strain on the most expensive component to replace than push it to the limit. Ford knows like jeep few of these will end up on the trail and those that do most the owners are choosing V6. No one ever complains about having to much power and resale value of V6 over the 4 banger will probably pay for it's self in the end. It's a shame the die hard manual drivers have no options this year.
Still, all I want is a 2.7l/7MT/4.7 drive, it would be a dream and out of all the configurations, its the one that doesn't exist.

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I considered swapping in the 2.3L from a wrecked 2018 Mustang I found in the wrecking yard into my 87 Bronco rather than going down the LS swap path. Compared to the old 302 that I replaced in 1997 the 2.3L would be plenty of power. There wasnā€™t much info on the swap at the time, and I wasnā€™t certain about the transmission compatibility or the torque band on the car engine, so I went down the LS swap path instead. With the setup in the new Bronco being what it is, I wouldnā€™t hesitate to swap the entire engine/trans/transfer case into an older truck. I think weā€™ll see a new following of 2.3L swaps into 66-77 Broncos for guys who want the 7 speed manual. I havenā€™t looked, but is the new Bronco drivers side drop?

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a 2002 Mustang Gt 260HP from the factory.
I have a 2017 Mustang Ecoboost 310HP.šŸ˜Ž
Understand, but a non turbo V6 that was available in the 2013 Mustang was 315 hp. Which makes me ask why Ford would can the naturally aspirated V6 for a turbo version that basically does the same thing.
Sponsored