Sponsored

2.3 Manual Big Bend vs. Black Diamond - Real World Fuel Economy?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So 16 months in and I'm still waffling between a 4-door Bigman and a 4-door Blackman. This will be my DD and I have an ~160km (~100mi) round-trip commute, so a significant difference in fuel consumption would add up for me long-term and would be one of my considerations when deciding between the two trims. The official EPA numbers are 20/22/21 for the Bigman but only 17/19/18 for the Blackman. This seems like a big difference for some added weight and more aggressive tires.

If anyone on here has real world numbers they can throw at me for either trim it would be very helpful. Please include a general description of your typical driving speeds and habits.

Thanks all.
Sponsored

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have 4dr BD 2.3/7M with 2in lift and 34s, it gets 15-15.9mpg consistently, regardless of city or highway. Lost quite a bit of economy after modifying it.

BroncoBernie

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2 Door Black Diamond, MT, 2K miles in and averaging 20 mpg. Mix of highway, country roads and a little city. Much better than I expected but I have been fairly conservative so far.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So 16 months in and I'm still waffling between a 4-door Bigman and a 4-door Blackman. This will be my DD and I have an ~160km (~100mi) round-trip commute, so a significant difference in fuel consumption would add up for me long-term and would be one of my considerations when deciding between the two trims. The official EPA numbers are 20/22/21 for the Bigman but only 17/19/18 for the Blackman. This seems like a big difference for some added weight and more aggressive tires.

If anyone on here has real world numbers they can throw at me for either trim it would be very helpful. Please include a general description of your typical driving speeds and habits.

Thanks all.
I have a non squatch MT BL. and I am averaging around 19. Commute is around 36 miles round trip, and I drive nice and easy everywhere I go and I don't even bother with eco mode.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lakelife36

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The difference is largely due to the axle ratio. Big Bend has 3.73 axles standard, while the Black Diamond is 4.46 standard. Add that onto everything else you’re looking at (weight, tires, etc) and that’s where the added fuel economy is coming from.

I’ll be honest… with a 160 km round-trip commute I personally would start seriously considering the Bronco Sport or even a hybrid. Don’t get me wrong, the full-sized Bronco is awesome, but looks significantly less awesome when you have to pay around CA$150 every week just to commute.

Aut-Lin

Black Diamond
First Name
Aut-Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm pretty much in the same boat with a 120km commute round trip. Waiting for my BD to arrive before Christmas hopefully (11/29 build week), and have just accepted the fact that it's going to cost me exponentially more in fuel costs... Especially when you consider I'm trading in a Colorado Duramax haha.

To me though the trade off will be worth the more off-road capability and rowing my own gears again.

OP
OP
Lakelife36

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The difference is largely due to the axle ratio. Big Bend has 3.73 axles standard, while the Black Diamond is 4.46 standard. Add that onto everything else you’re looking at (weight, tires, etc) and that’s where the added fuel economy is coming from.

I’ll be honest… with a 160 km round-trip commute I personally would start seriously considering the Bronco Sport or even a hybrid. Don’t get me wrong, the full-sized Bronco is awesome, but looks significantly less awesome when you have to pay around CA$150 every week just to commute.
All of that makes a lot of sense except for the fact that I am getting a manual, and am not considering anything different. I absolutely agree it's going to be a big increase on my fuel costs. A manual PHEV would be badass.

Sponsored

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My 2DR, Big Bend with manual is currently sitting at 20.8 mpg and continues to improve as I drive it more.

OP
OP
Lakelife36

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm pretty much in the same boat with a 120km commute round trip. Waiting for my BD to arrive before Christmas hopefully (11/29 build week), and have just accepted the fact that it's going to cost me exponentially more in fuel costs... Especially when you consider I'm trading in a Colorado Duramax haha.

To me though the trade off will be worth the more off-road capability and rowing my own gears again.
That's Sun Peaks to Kamloops? Also we may be looking for a few year old Colorado for my wife. What's yours like?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All of that makes a lot of sense except for the fact that I am getting a manual, and am not considering anything different. I absolutely agree it's going to be a big increase on my fuel costs. A manual PHEV would be badass.
As someone who exclusively drives manuals, totally get it.

But... just me being honest... if I was looking at spending around $7500 a year on fuel I'd be looking at a Toyota Corolla with a manual transmission to get some of that sweet 6.2 L/100km. It would probably drop your fuel costs by at least $3500 a year, and the car would effectively pay for itself in 5-6 years. I'm currently driving a Ford Focus with a manual transmission, and I intend to keep this car for that exact reason.

BUT, to each their own I suppose, and if you aren't the type of person that keeps their vehicles for 10-15 years like I am, then it may not make sense.

A PHEV manual transmission would be SWEET, but mechanically it doesn't make sense. Most hybrids are going to continuously variable transmissions, and there isn't really any gears to shift on a CVT.

Last edited:

Therackmount

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 f150 4or supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Base

Myself if I get a BB it would be adding the rear locker with lower gears , there goes gas mileage. Wondering how a BD would do on some narrow 34" tires not to aggressive tread .My 2015 f 150 supercrew 4x4 gas mileage went south about 3.5 mpg after a 2" level lift and 34" offroad tires , hit a happy medium running 32's on the street , averaging 17.8 driving 70 or a little better on the freeway , should be buying a Maverick hybrid for all the driving I do , always wanted a Bronco though .😏 Should wait for a Bronco hybrid , the waiting list though again , maybe get it in 2026.
Sponsored