Sponsored

2.3 Manual Big Bend vs. Black Diamond - Real World Fuel Economy?

Aut-Lin

Black Diamond
First Name
Aut-Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's Sun Peaks to Kamloops? Also we may be looking for a few year old Colorado for my wife. What's yours like?
Correct, Sun Peaks to Kamloops!

And my Colorado has been awesome, still in excellent condition and haven't had any issue with it since I've had it. Can't beat the highway fuel economy for it, averaging 9L/100km overall I'd say.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lakelife36

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As someone who exclusively drives manuals, totally get it.

But... just me being honest... if I was looking at spending around $7500 a year on fuel I'd be looking at a Toyota Corolla with a manual transmission to get some of that sweet 6.2 L/100km. It would probably drop your fuel costs by at least $3500 a year, and the car would effectively pay for itself in 5-6 years. I'm currently driving a Ford Focus with a manual transmission, and I intend to keep this car for that exact reason.

BUT, to each their own I suppose, and if you aren't the type of person that keeps their vehicles for 10-15 years like I am, then it may not make sense.

A PHEV manual transmission would be SWEET, but mechanically it doesn't make sense. Most hybrids are going to continuously variable transmissions, and there isn't really any gears to shift on a CVT.
We're going to get diddly for our shitbox Cruze so I'll probably hang onto it and commute with it (7.0L/100km).until it blows up on me, which is likely in another few years. Will keep the kms on my Bronco down to start too.

Last edited:

IXxMcCoyxXl

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

same here
2 Door Black Diamond, MT, 2K miles in and averaging 20 mpg. Mix of highway, country roads and a little city. Much better than I expected but I have been fairly conservative so far.
but only at 1000 miles

Neigh.hey

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why would you be considering this vehicle if you are using it as a commuter vehicle and are concerned about fuel mileage. I don't understand. Look at something else if gas mileage is a major concern, especially a couple mpg's. IMO. If actually that is your concern. Get the base with the smallest tires. Cmon

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have 4dr BD 2.3/7M with 2in lift and 34s, it gets 15-15.9mpg consistently, regardless of city or highway. Lost quite a bit of economy after modifying it.
Ouch. Did you adjust in Forscan? Are you using Fuelly or just the dash MPG?

Sponsored

BE5OME1

Base
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 SXT 4x4, 1967 Mustang, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Two tanks into my 2.3L BlackMan Im getting 18mpg but I drive in Sport mode almost always.

WingedBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' F150, 17' Volt
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The difference is largely due to the axle ratio. Big Bend has 3.73 axles standard, while the Black Diamond is 4.46 standard. Add that onto everything else youā€™re looking at (weight, tires, etc) and thatā€™s where the added fuel economy is coming from.
I ordered 4.46/REAR AXLE-LOCKING DIFF on my BB, the WS has 20 mpg city and 22 mpg highway with the 2.3 MT 2 door. Weight and tire size has everything to do with MPG.

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2dr BadMan(considerable bit heavier), 510 miles so far, 140 miles of which has been interstate. Everything else has been majority of city driving. Only utilized premium fuel for these first two tanks, not sure I want to mess with regular. But heres what I have found.
Normal mode: 19.9
Eco mode 20.1

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

4dr BD, MT, on 35s , 93 octane..

75ECE491-ADD7-4E46-8BDD-20D482E52148.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lakelife36

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Why would you be considering this vehicle if you are using it as a commuter vehicle and are concerned about fuel mileage. I don't understand. Look at something else if gas mileage is a major concern, especially a couple mpg's. IMO. If actually that is your concern. Get the base with the smallest tires. Cmon
It's not only a commuter, it would be my everything vehicle. It would suck to finally buy something you really really like and then leave it at home most of the time. If I needed to though then I would, but that may depend on actual consumotion between different trims. This is why I'm asking for real-world numbers from actual drivers instead of relying on the EPA/NRCAN estimates. I like making informed decisions. This feeds back to your comment about getting the Base with the smallest tires - it's listed as having the same fuel economy as the BB. Something is off there. Real numbers are needed.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Simple Man

Black Diamond
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Subaru Outback MT,'70 F-250 Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The difference is largely due to the axle ratio. Big Bend has 3.73 axles standard, while the Black Diamond is 4.46 standard. Add that onto everything else youā€™re looking at (weight, tires, etc) and thatā€™s where the added fuel economy is coming from.

Iā€™ll be honestā€¦ with a 160 km round-trip commute I personally would start seriously considering the Bronco Sport or even a hybrid. Donā€™t get me wrong, the full-sized Bronco is awesome, but looks significantly less awesome when you have to pay around CA$150 every week just to commute.

Hey there RagnarKon,

Whereare you coming up with BB 3.73 axles standard? I only see it having 4.43 axles.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey there RagnarKon,

Whereare you coming up with BB 3.73 axles standard? I only see it having 4.43 axles.
It depends on what transmission you get. Breakdown below:
  • 3.73 open axle
    • Standard on Base, Big Bend, and Outer Banks with an automatic transmission
  • 4.27 locking axle
    • Optional upgrade on Big Bend and Outer Banks with an automatic transmission
  • 4.46 open axle
    • Standard on Base and Big Bend with a manual transmission
  • 4.46 locking axle
    • Standard on Black Diamond
    • Standard on Badlands with an automatic transmission
    • Optional upgrade on Big Bend with a manual transmission.
  • 4.70 locking
    • Standard on Badlands with a manual transmission
    • Standard on Wildtrak
    • Included with the Sasquatch package on all trims.

AbsoluteFord

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Ford F-150, Honda Clarity
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I average 17 on my BD 2.3. It increases when I do some highway driving. But I live like 10 minutes away from my job, and I only go further down in MPG when I do any city driving. The BD is a pig
Sponsored