Sponsored

2.3 MANUAL Bronco pull an Airstream Basecamp?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for the info. Agreed, tongue weight is certainly a major factor with the Bronco whether it be 2.3 or 2.7...the suspension is just too soft. With my side x side fully forward on the trailer I was roughly 350lb tongue weight which severely squatted the rear of the Bronco to the point that handling most certainly would have been affected. Once I repositioned the SxS back about 12" I got the tongue weight down to roughly 250lb and all was good.

EDIT: I am using a 12" hitch extension to get out beyond the spare. W/O the hitch extension the 350lb tongue weight probably would have been fine.
A bunch of fraidy-cats on here.

Get a load balancing hitch, the Ford accessory brake controller (you'll need the factory option tow package), and manage the loaded weight and absolutely you can pull a Basecamp.

The 7MT manufacturer specs said you could tow up to something like 10000 lbs, so that isn't the limiting factor, nor is the 2.3 because the Ranger can tow more. So your rear springs and the hitch receiver itself are the limiters to 3500lbs.
Yup that's generally agreed upon.

Factors not previously discussed above:
  • Ford states for the Bronco that 'Your vehicle may have reduced performance when operating at high altitudes and when heavily loaded or towing a trailer. While driving at elevation, in order to match driving performance as perceived at sea level, reduce GVWs and GCWs by 2% per 1,000 ft. elevation.' (Reference: https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/21Towing_Ford_Bronco_r2_Jun24.pdf)
  • Weight of people/stuff to be loaded in the Bronco itself: Unknown. This too will add to the stress upon the engine / transmission.
I view the blanket language about "driving performance" as a general FYI, and not to be taken as a rule that you must reduce your loads. This is because, as mentioned above, the actual limiting factors to towing capability are not related to the drivetrain.

Also for his Badlands yes the load in the vehicle will quite possibly govern, but keep in mind that lighter trims have plenty of room in their GCWR and GVWR even with a trailer hooked on that's loaded to maximum allowable weights.
Just looked up the specs, Because it was the real limiting factor when I was looking at travel trailers to go behind my Gladiator.... Frontal Area is the real problem... The BEST with the Bronco is 30sqft...

The Base Camp has a frontal area over 50sqft..

1652452999376.png

It's like having a drag parachute attached to the back, Although I'm sure the shape of the trailer helps some..
Yes this is also an issue, although similar to the language around elevation it does not actually say that you cannot exceed it, only that exceeding it may reduce performance. Now let's compare it to the Ranger with and without tow package and decipher the meanings there.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I pulled this today with my 2.3 manual. I don't have an exact weight but they don't put tandem 5k axles on a trailer just because. The trailer GVWR sticker said 6k so it wasn't more than that. It did it without any excitement but I'll be using my F250 to take it back. I do have the Redarc controller though.

Ford Bronco 2.3 MANUAL Bronco pull an Airstream Basecamp? PXL_20220513_202516092

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think these little super light trailers could be made into a very nice RV. Tons of options make it almost modular. I'm considering getting one and customizing the inside exactly how I want ...love the way they offer customizing right from the factory! Looks extremely well made and the weight is amazingly light!

https://www.weeroll.com/silverstar

Hudman316

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm not 100% sure where that's explicitly specified, but Ford's towing guides are peppered with tongue weight as 10% of gross trailer weight so I'd be shocked if it's not simply 1/10th of your listed tow capacity, meaning for you I believe somewhere around 330lbs. There is speculation that on this vehicle it's the max tongue weight that governed tow capacity and not the other way around.

Towing guides can be found here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/
I work at Ford R&E. Been there 27 years. Ford does extensive real world towing tests on every vehicle with towing capabilities. We have a weight shed at our proving grounds where they load the trailers exactly as specified by engineering. I think the average car and truck enthusiast under estimates the amount of testing that goes into developing a vehicle.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I gave plans to increase the length of my trailer tongue instead of putting an extension on the Bronco. This puts the lever on the trailer and actually reduces tongue weight (not sure by how much). I will get this done by cutting off the hitch, and welding a 2" receiver to the frame of the trailer. The new hitch will be welded to a receiver insert. I've also had a rotating jack welded to the front frame, so I can simply remove the jack for ground and spare tire clearance.

20220226_112305.jpg

20220225_155221.jpg

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
"Can tow": yes, absolutely.

Tongue weight hitting max spec: yup.

Somehow it's always forgotten on B6g that the same motor for Ranger is somehow capable of towing 7,500 lbs. As if the black magic of Ranger is due to a V8?????

Last Friday night I helped a friend out with a tow, no problems. Aside from rattles and the awkwardness of having 2 joints and the car wandering a bit due to the cheap Uhaul dolly, you couldn't tell the car was even back there.

Ford Bronco 2.3 MANUAL Bronco pull an Airstream Basecamp? 20220513_193117

3,500 lbs on the dot, couldn't tell.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I work at Ford R&E. Been there 27 years. Ford does extensive real world towing tests on every vehicle with towing capabilities. We have a weight shed at our proving grounds where they load the trailers exactly as specified by engineering. I think the average car and truck enthusiast under estimates the amount of testing that goes into developing a vehicle.
Judging entirely by fan forums, it's safe to say that the average person has no concept or care about engineering/testing for automobiles. Just if it works at that exact moment and if it doesn't, it's due to incompetence from the OEM and worthy of a post about it.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You're a great resource on here then. Are you allowed to divulge any information on what trailers were tested on which trims, packages, engine and tranny combos etc.? And which of the SAE J2807 tests were limiting on those different vehicles in different ways?

Hudman316

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You're a great resource on here then. Are you allowed to divulge any information on what trailers were tested on which trims, packages, engine and tranny combos etc.? And which of the SAE J2807 tests were limiting on those different vehicles in different ways?
The R&E Center has a massive campus layout with 50+ buildings in 4 cities with the home base being in Dearborn MI. There are multiple operations and divisions that take vehicles from concept sketches to finished prototype models that get tested extensively. We rotate throughout the center every few years moving from building to building.

I spent the past 3+ years in a building that performs climate tests, shake & rattle tests, seat tests, seat belt tests, door tests, UV tests and brake tests on every Ford brand. Many of the tests involve production vehicle issues that occur after the vehicles go into production. The engineers identify the source of the issues and look for solutions.

I can’t give detailed specifics about any tests or prototypes. Everything is confidential. I haven’t witnessed any driving related tests over the past 3+ years - like towing - because that takes place in buildings in our proving grounds across the street. All I can tell you is that all testing is extensive on every model Ford produces. The average consumer has no clue how involved it is. All of their recommendations In the owners manual (including towing) is based on real world testing. Not theoretical conjecture. They run things until they fail to determine limits. This includes extreme climate testing.

Last edited:

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The R&E Center has a massive campus layout with 50+ buildings in 4 cities with the home base being in Dearborn MI. There are multiple operations and divisions that take vehicles from concept sketches to finished prototype models that get tested extensively. We rotate throughout the center every few years moving from building to building.

I spent the past 3+ years in a building that performs climate tests, shake & rattle tests, seat tests, seat belt tests, door tests, UV tests and brake tests on every Ford brand. Many of the tests involve production vehicle issues that occur after the vehicles go into production. The engineers identify the source of the issues and look for solutions.

I can’t give detailed specifics about any tests or prototypes. Everything is confidential. I haven’t witnessed any driving related tests over the past 3+ years - like towing - because that takes place in buildings in our proving grounds across the street. All I can tell you is that all testing is extensive on every model Ford produces. The average consumer has no clue how involved it is. All of their recommendations In the owners manual (including towing) is based on real world testing. Not theoretical conjecture. They run things until they fail to determine limits. This includes extreme climate testing.
Sounds like a cool job. I guess my quest for actual information on what was used for the SAE J2807 tests and which ones limited continues.

OP
OP
El Jefe Texas

El Jefe Texas

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can pull, or should pull?

Base Camp 16 has a GVWR of 3500 which is the limit for the Bronco, but the tongue weight is too much at 410 lbs. While the empty weight (2650) leaves some room for people and loading, it's not much.

You can do it, but you may not enjoy it. Based upon some of the posts here, you will most likely have some white knuckle moments.

Base Camp 20 is too heavy.

I too would really like to pick up a Base Camp 16, but the people I've talked to with extensive RV experience have all said it's not a good idea and some have said it would be downright unsafe. One dealer even said they would sell one to me if I just had the Bronco.

I'm patiently waiting the hear (see) if the the Bronco Raptor Trailer Hitch can be mounted (retrofit) to the standard Bronco models. The added capacity that the Braptor has would make the Base Camp 16 a viable option.
Is it possible to upgrade the hitch on my Bronco to accommodate the extra tongue weight on the Airstream?
Sponsored