Sponsored

2.3 Manual owner reviews...post them here!

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since these things are slowly trickling out, interested to hear real world feedback on the 2.3/7spd combo. Looking forward to ordering a ManSquatch in 22’ but in the meantime owner reviews will hold me over! Likes, dislikes, clutch feel, highway and passing power, let’s hear it
Sponsored

Last edited:

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ironically, my dealer called today to let me know their demo (which is a MT) is arriving in the next day and they are scheduling demo test drive appointments for MT order holders. I should have a test drive this week and will report back.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ironically, my dealer called today to let me know their demo (which is a MT) is arriving in the next day and they are scheduling demo test drive appointments for MT order holders. I should have a test drive this week and will report back.
I'm suprised they made any manual demos, it really cuts down on the number of people that can even operate it. Even a huge chunk of salespeople can't drive manual.

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A lot of the 2.3L Reviews are already compiled in this thread.

2.3L Reviews

“The smaller engine might not have the horsepower of the V6, but it’s lighter and definitely changes the feel of the truck. Making it even more agile.”
-Kelley Blue Book

“The 2.3 L engine is more than enough to keep pace with traffic, even in Eco mode and even with light throttle applications.”
-Ars Technica

“Our on-road time was spent behind the wheel of a 2.3-liter, four-door Outer Banks model with the 10-speed automatic, and we were struck by how effortless it is to drive. Even in the 4,600-pound four-door model, the little four-pot feels strong and accelerates effortlessly. It even sounds pretty good when you really get on it.”
-AutoBlog

“We only had a chance to experience the 2.7-liter EcoBoost out on the road, though the 2.3-liter felt more than adequate for off-road duties.”
-CarBuzz

“I didn't get the chance to drive the I4 on the street, but thanks in part to smart gearing, the smaller engine offered plenty of oomph on the trails.”
-CNet

“The 2.3L four-cylinder engine and 2.7L V6 both generate good torque, thanks to the combination of turbocharging, wide gear ratios and low ranges for scrambling.”
-Detroit Free Press

“The standard turbocharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine (300 horsepower and 325 lb-ft of torque with premium fuel) provides sufficient acceleration whether it's combined with the standard seven-speed manual or the optional 10-speed automatic. The larger and optional turbocharged 2.7-liter V6 (330 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque with premium fuel) makes a satisfying improvement but isn't a necessity.”
-Edmunds

“The four cylinder engine offers more than enough power and torque for on and off-road driving.”
-Forbes

“Off-road-specific hardware aside, the 2.3-liter four-cylinder in our Badlands performed far better with the 10-speed automatic than the available manual gearbox. Naturally, moving off the line was a smoother experience. But the way the gearbox behaved in the different GOAT driving modes (there are seven on the Badlands, but we spent most of our time in Rock Crawl) and how it handled throttle inputs gave us much more confidence on the trail. As for power, the base engine was barely an issue on the toughest obstacles, thanks to its ample low-end torque.”
-Motor1

“While the extra V6 power is always welcome, I did not feel the four-cylinder really lacking in power for regular driving on busy city streets or on the interstate.”
-TFL Car

“There's quite a bit of torque on tap, even with the four-cylinder, so you really don't need to touch the throttle when taking off on a flat road. That part made stop-and-go traffic pleasant.”
-The Drive

Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm suprised they made any manual demos, it really cuts down on the number of people that can even operate it. Even a huge chunk of salespeople can't drive manual.
Ditto, but I won't complain. LOL. It is a 4 door, not sure what trim.

ICATCHN

Badlands
First Name
Amber & Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8, 21 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone have a manual and find when releasing the clutch it squeaks and can feel it on your foot? Is it just simple adjustment of something or something more!

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If my dealer had a MT demo I would take a test drive, I'm curious about them. Wouldn't buy one because I'm getting a little long in the tooth and prefer my comfort these days. If I need a MT thrill I'll drive my 2019 Miata.

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone have a manual and find when releasing the clutch it squeaks and can feel it on your foot? Is it just simple adjustment of something or something more!
No squeak here after 2100 miles.

Sponsored

CCross

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, 2000 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope. No squeak here.

CCross

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, 2000 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love mine. My only complaint is, I wish there was a little more 1st before needing to shift to 2nd. This is probably less of a problem for those with taller reared gearing. I have a Badlands with 4:7 gears. The granny gear is spectacular. You can almost release the clutch in 2H with no gas and it’ll putt along at 3 mph without any feathering of the clutch required in 2H! The gears are well placed. You never have to search when shifting. And the transmission is butter smooth. I do wish the clutch had a stiffer feel to it, but I’m nitpicking now. I’ve seen some complaints about 2.3L, but I have no issues with it. Plenty of power for this type of vehicle, particularly with the 4:7 gearing. I think some of those complaining are coming from cars, not purpose built off-readers or maybe they have different gearing. The little motor does need to rev pretty high before getting in it’s power band. I usually cruise along around 2k rpm. You really don’t get into the power until 3k plus. Again, I’m loving mine!

WeirdGuy

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had originally wanted the 2.7 auto, and that's all I had driven in the Bronco before putting my order in. I got a call shortly after, that a 2.3 MT that an employees husband had ordered came in and he was going to let me drive it. I was very appreciative of the customer letting me do this, as I'm an enthusiast and a MT was more along what I would normally want.

After driving it, I immediately changed my order to the 2.3 MT. It was not only that good but, much more enjoyable and engaging to drive. I mean, it is an MT, so what do you expect?

The one I drove was a Black Diamond without the Sasquatch package, and mine is a base Sasquatch. I know the drive will be a little different, especially with 4.7 gearing but, it was nice to get to drive the MT and compare. Very much looking forward to driving it daily.

Last edited:

kypt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Camaro SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love mine. My only complaint is, I wish there was a little more 1st before needing to shift to 2nd. This is probably less of a problem for those with taller reared gearing. I have a Badlands with 4:7 gears. The granny gear is spectacular. You can almost release the clutch in 2H with no gas and it’ll putt along at 3 mph without any feathering of the clutch required in 2H! The gears are well placed. You never have to search when shifting. And the transmission is butter smooth. I do wish the clutch had a stiffer feel to it, but I’m nitpicking now. I’ve seen some complaints about 2.3L, but I have no issues with it. Plenty of power for this type of vehicle, particularly with the 4:7 gearing. I think some of those complaining are coming from cars, not purpose built off-readers or maybe they have different gearing. The little motor does need to rev pretty high before getting in it’s power band. I usually cruise along around 2k rpm. You really don’t get into the power until 3k plus. Again, I’m loving mine!
Agreed, especially the 1st gear part.
Sponsored