Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was honestly curious. I first learned to drive a manual transmission (not counting tractors) when I was 13 or so. It was a 3 on the tree late 50s Ford pickup. I honestly can't remember "why" or if someone told me to - but I can't remember a time when I didn't put a manual transmission vehicle into Reverse when parking it. The 58 Chevy Apache truck my Dad had doesn't count - Reverse was gone.

You mention e-brake handle location and it just dawned on me - my last daily ('19 Mustang GT) had it located in the center console. The Mustang before that - same. My wife's project 84 GMC K1500 shortbed - foot pedal on the driver's side below the dash. And as I remember - all my old Toyota 4x4's and 4runners (2dr) had it on the RH side of the steering wheel I believe, right under the dash panel. And the old 50's / 60s trucks usually had a big metal handle on the LH side of the steering wheel under the dash.
I've had ebrakes as foot pedals as well and remember my dad's 60's truck with the ebrake on a handle under the dash. Arguably one of the most hidden is on a C4 Vette where it is tucked down between the drivers seat and the tub wall. It's just an excuse on my part. I failed to pull it, the location shouldn't matter.

OP
OP

atimberwolf

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Things change. I never had a Drivers Ed teacher growing up in SC. But I remember taking my final driver's test in my '67 SS Chevelle 4 speed with manual steering and manual drum brakes. Parallel parked it too. How things change.
My Papaw was my first drivers ed teacher in a Ford truck with a 3 on the tree and an old Jeep with a 4 speed that was on our deer lease. I was probably around 10 or 11. He taught me to always leave it in 1st or reverse depending on where you were parked. I officially took drivers ed in 1983, my HS English teacher taught it. They (the drivers ed people I guess) brought out a single wide trailer with a big screen at the end of the trailer and there were 10 console type things with steering wheels and a mock dash that we sat at and watched the screen and pretended we were driving.

OP
OP

atimberwolf

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We had drivers ed in Illinois a million years ago (1986), but it was all automatics.
Locally now it doesn't seem to be offered at school. You have to "buy" it out in town.

Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And then there's me apparently.
It's all good man. None of us are perfect. Hell, not long ago, I drove off and left my debit card in the ATM! Thank goodness the machine pulls it in and stores it!

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I teach HS in AZ and they don't even offer Driver's Ed!

When I was in HS in California, Driver's Ed was a graduation requirement. Not sure if it still is.🤔
Funny, I teach JR Hi Science and my wife teaches HS Science. They don't offer it here either. It's parent taught here. Although, I did see where they are bringing it back and you can still take in some schools around the state.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

And then there's me apparently.
I'd say the variability in responses to this thread more than disprove his supposition. Trolls be trolls.

OP
OP

atimberwolf

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd say the variability in responses to this thread more than disprove his supposition. Trolls be trolls.
Yeah, my response was tongue in cheek.

Bronco73

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes!!! Thought I was going crazy. I parked mine on a decent incline, left in 1st gear without parking brake (I forgot). I was running around a track and eventually seen my bronco lugging slowly backwards. Never thought of it overcoming the compression until I just read that. Makes sense. It moved probably 6 feet till I noticed
Same thing just happened to me?! I’ve never known this to happen in 1st gear! Ebraking religiously now!

Sponsored

Bronco73

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It happened to me too. I just tested it while sitting inside on 5 degree driveway..and proved it can happen, even in 1st gear!

MistaGavin

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 F-150 & '68 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I try and make the e brake a habit. Learned my lesson with a mini cooper that rolled into the street 😂

Cetacean Sensation

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Bimmer
Your Bronco Model
Base
You always put it into the lowest ratio gear you have for best mechanical advantage.

On most modern cars that's first or reverse, gears typically around 4:1. On the Bronco you have a 6.5:1 gear, it's C.

So you should always park in the Crawler gear with the parking brake on.

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboats…
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was taught to put it in 1st if pointed downhill or Reverse if pointed up hill so if it did roll and turn the motor it would not be turning it backwards. In the Bronco it would be Crawl and Reverse.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
My Mustang will roll if I accidentally leave it in 3rd.

Park in 1st. R is also acceptable, especially if parked nose downhill.
Sponsored