First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ-7, 2020 JLU, Bronco res holder
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Has anyone who has gotten the 2.3 been dissappointed? I'd be super interested in hearing from those that have driven both.

I drive a 3.6 eTorque Wrangler and I've heard it's a dog compared to both. It has a 3.45 gear ratio with 33s so that may have something to do with it.

I was Bronco 2.7 all the way, but I'd love a manual. Just hoping to hear real world reviews of 2.3 auto and manual.

Edit: Found some reviews on the forum from prior, but I'd love to hear from some folks that haven't posted prior.
Sponsored

Alcotune

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't have mine yet but did test drive the 2.3 in Standard & Auto plus we have a Ranger with the 2.3, for me, I don't feel there is a need to go with the 2.7.
It would be different if the tow capacity was higher but it's not.

I can't comment on what the 2.3 is like lifted on 35s+

Laddyaddy19

Black Diamond
First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Evo X, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't have mine yet but did test drive the 2.3 in Standard & Auto plus we have a Ranger with the 2.3, for me, I don't feel there is a need to go with the 2.7.
It would be different if the tow capacity was higher but it's not.

I can't comment on what the 2.3 is like lifted on 35s+
love my 2.3 4 door auto with Sasquatch. Plenty of power and torque imo. Not disappointed at all and would order the same power train again. Like Alcotune said, if the 2.7 tow rating was higher I would have paid extra for it. Gas mileage isn’t terrible imo. Over winter I got 17 mpg. This summer it’s been from 20-22 mpg. I just love my rig and it’s a blast to drive.

mikedege

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've driven all 3 before I ordered, I ended up choosing the 2.3auto. For me, the 2.3l auto performed much better that I anticipated, it doesn't feel like a 4 banger at all. The 2.7l was a little better than the 4cyl, but not anywhere near as much as I expected. Now the 2.3l manual I personally hated. For me, it had to be driven in higher RPM range to have a similar drivability like the 2.3auto. Don't shoot me people, but having owned many manual transmission vehicles in the past, I hated the manual in the Bronco. Maybe because its a 4cyl turbo powerplant in a very heavy vehicle. I felt like I had to drive it like a turbo sportscar, otherwise it was a dog, especially at low end. Now, I realize to each their own, I was hoping so badly that I would love it, but I didn't. Opinions will surly vary, that is why I recommend do everything in your power to drive the ones you are considering before you order. What is important to you may not be the same as what is important to others. Just find a way to drive and make up your own mind. That's the only way not to have buyers remorse. Good luck in your decision.

Cheers
Mike

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I currently have a 2.3 OBX 4dr, engine works fine for me. I've had the 2.3 (Ranger), 2.7 (F150), 3.5 turbo and non turbo (Flex) and 1.5, Bronco Sport, which was under powered as far as I'm concerned.

Sponsored

TheSSBoz

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My experience with the 2.3 MT Badlands (4.7 ratio):
- Crawler gear is great.
- 1st gear is a bit of a dog and occasionally does some weird jerking like its being rev limited even though you aren't even hitting 3k RPMs (you can see some threads on the forum about this)....
- 2nd and beyond is great. Power is strong from 2nd on because you can get the turbo engaged when needed.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a 2.3 non SAS but with the rear locker so better gearing. The engine is fine. Best I can say about it. When I need the power to get on the interstate. It is mostly there and driving around town it is great. It does not sound good however but that’s the nature of these small engines.

Alcotune

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've driven all 3 before I ordered, I ended up choosing the 2.3auto. For me, the 2.3l auto performed much better that I anticipated, it doesn't feel like a 4 banger at all. The 2.7l was a little better than the 4cyl, but not anywhere near as much as I expected. Now the 2.3l manual I personally hated. For me, it had to be driven in higher RPM range to have a similar drivability like the 2.3auto. Don't shoot me people, but having owned many manual transmission vehicles in the past, I hated the manual in the Bronco. Maybe because its a 4cyl turbo powerplant in a very heavy vehicle. I felt like I had to drive it like a turbo sportscar, otherwise it was a dog, especially at low end. Now, I realize to each their own, I was hoping so badly that I would love it, but I didn't. Opinions will surly vary, that is why I recommend do everything in your power to drive the ones you are considering before you order. What is important to you may not be the same as what is important to others. Just find a way to drive and make up your own mind. That's the only way not to have buyers remorse. Good luck in your decision.

Cheers
Mike
I ordered the manual and a week later the salesman called me to ask if I was sure because he had another customer call to change his order to an Auto after he has a chance to test drive the manual.

I liked the manual, it felt very smooth and responsive but would be nice to have an analogue style tach. It’s not as quick as the Auto but It depends on how you like to drive.

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have had mine since 9/18/21 and now have 16K.. My wife recently said something about engines. i said our Bronco is a 4 cyl Turbo - she was very surprised it was not a 6 cyl... No complaints at all

Hamhands

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2.3 is great in 4 door base on 285/75r16, Honestly the first thing I thought when I sized up on tires was that I need a brake upgrade.

Sponsored

BroncoBarn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 10 speed auto works great with the 2.3 because the engine is always in its power band. 2.3 is more than adequate. We drove ours up and over the mountains going to Moab and it was never short on power and pulls hard.

79BKO

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Bronco, 21 Bronco Big Bend SAS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 2.3 2 dr SAS with 9K miles. Drove it from Texas to Tennessee and back. No complaints. Plenty of power. I love it!

Swatman

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a BL 2.3 MT 2-door. I'm 65 and have driven MTs my entire life. I really like it. I didn't buy this vehicle to drag race, but it performs just fine. The clutch is close to perfect. I agree that 1st gear is the weakest part of the setup, but it's still okay. Overall my only real complaint is the braking system, which is average at best. I would have gone 2.7 if it were available in a MT, but I love driving the 2.3. Thank you Ford for giving me a MT option!

EVH1994

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My experience with the 2.3 MT Badlands (4.7 ratio):
- Crawler gear is great.
- 1st gear is a bit of a dog and occasionally does some weird jerking like its being rev limited even though you aren't even hitting 3k RPMs (you can see some threads on the forum about this)....
- 2nd and beyond is great. Power is strong from 2nd on because you can get the turbo engaged when needed.
My 2.3 MT just did the 1st gear jerking/bucking yesterday for the first time. So weird. Shifted to second and it went away.
Sponsored