Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I have over 5000 miles on my 2.3 manual. It hasn't done me wrong and has zero problem doing anything I've thrown at it. It's been getting close to 21 mpg since new. It is a dog tho. It's not "fast" by any stretch. People using the word "adequate" is a correct one word summary. It's not going to do much more than this word implies. This is my third 2.3 I. Three different vehicles. In the Ranger and Mustang it was awesome, and quick. In the Bronco, due to it being over 5000lbs, adequate. Lol That being said, my fleet manager called me today and said my 2.7 badlands had now been produced. So I'll soon have one to compare. As for people saying the 0-60 times are close.... .5 seconds on a zero to sixty is not that close. By the time you hit the 1320ft... It's a bus. A noticeable bus.... Lol 😬🙃
Sponsored

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

. . . a couple of reasons. It's seems in a lot of You tube reviews both the 2.3 and the 2.7 get similar 0 to 60 times when testing acceleration. Of course the 2.7 is a little faster but not by much. The reason being even though the 2.7 is more powerful it also weights more which negates the power advantage and makes the front end heavier. So it makes sense . . .

Monday changed my build to go with 2.3L - along w some other changes to reduce bells & whistles -

2.3 has double the horse-power of what I've been driving -

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe I'll change my tune if my 2.7 grenades, but I like my 2.7. I wouldn't trade it for the smaller, less powerful motor that doesn't get better mpg in this heavy pig.

OP
OP
The Driving Viking

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe I'll change my tune if my 2.7 grenades, but I like my 2.7. I wouldn't trade it for the smaller, less powerful motor that doesn't get better mpg in this heavy pig.
Keep us posted. Lol. Seriously.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Based on some quick calcs off the Ford website, the automatic transmission adds 20 lbs vs. the manual and the 2.7 adds 170 lbs vs. the 2.3. This is less than 5% of the vehicle weight. The 2.7 provides about 10% boost in horsepower and over 20% increase in torque. The gas mileage hit is about 10% with the bigger engine.

The real questions is whether you prefer manual vs. auto and performance vs. MPG and a lower price tag.

Sponsored

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All I can say is 2.3 auto, sasquatch has no shortage of oomph in my book. I have been taking it pretty easy on the throttle for break in, and it gets around just fine. It's not a sports car, but it is quicker than my last several vehicles, so there's that.
Great to hear! I’m definitely more than happy with my 2.3, Badlands 4dr with 33”s, and will put some 35”s on it with a lift, when it’s time to replace tires.

OP
OP
The Driving Viking

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well I have over 5000 miles on my 2.3 manual. It hasn't done me wrong and has zero problem doing anything I've thrown at it. It's been getting close to 21 mpg since new. It is a dog tho. It's not "fast" by any stretch. People using the word "adequate" is a correct one word summary. It's not going to do much more than this word implies. This is my third 2.3 I. Three different vehicles. In the Ranger and Mustang it was awesome, and quick. In the Bronco, due to it being over 5000lbs, adequate. Lol That being said, my fleet manager called me today and said my 2.7 badlands had now been produced. So I'll soon have one to compare. As for people saying the 0-60 times are close.... .5 seconds on a zero to sixty is not that close. By the time you hit the 1320ft... It's a bus. A noticeable bus.... Lol 😬🙃
I feel like .5 is nothing in an offroad vehicle that will never see that drag strip. 7.0 sec 0 to 60 compared to 7.5 is wash. Now compare that to the 4.2 sec in the 392 Wrangler. Now that's a difference.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think people are comparing this 2.7 with the years of quality it has had in the Ford f 150. You really can't. It's a slightly different configuration and what ever issues they are having now is no doubt because of the pandemic and a 3rd party supplier. This is a new development. It's definitely worrisome. At least least me it is anyway.
People keep throwing around the false equivocation that it is the same engine in the F150 when it isn't. It is a different configuration. Also, the line workers at Dearborn and Kansas City have experience where as the line workers at MAP have the most experience with the 2.3L instead of the 2.7L. Has that lack of experience led to the coolant hose not being pulled away from the pulley initially? Maybe. But there is a learning curve with the 2.7 at MAP.

I felt the 2.3L was a safer choice for a first year vehicle. MAP has been stuffing it in the Ranger for years. It is lighter which is critical in an already heavy vehicle. People get hung up on the 4 cylinder, but it's not like a 4-banger from 20 years ago. It produces more torque and horsepower than my Jeep's v6.

Sponsored

BroncoOKV

Outer Banks
First Name
Shawna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nope the 2.7 is definitely now a constraint. Mike just confirmed this on Twitter yesterday and recommended the 2.3 to speed things up! Sorry to bare the bad news but that's reality.

Screenshot_20211125-184441_Twitter.jpg
I wonder what this means for people like me that have a build date for end of January with a 2.7 or is this just about getting scheduled down the road

OP
OP
The Driving Viking

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wonder what this means for people like me that have a build date for end of January with a 2.7 or is this just about getting scheduled down the road
I guess we'll find out. Keep us posted.

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m in the same boat, but I think we’re safe. New Bronco orders are the ones that are limited to the 2.3L.

SilverBullets

Outer Banks
First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Porsche Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ive driven the 2.3 a couple time and I have a 2.7… the 2.3 is fine but not great. It feels peppy but under powered. It feels similar to like the VW Tiguan with the 2.0t. A suv with a motor from a golf. It’s fine but once you get into mountains or passing at speed it feels weak. Peppy but underpowered.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know it has more torque. But if it weights a lot more then the 2.3 and the real world performance is similar does it matter that it has more torque on paper?
The weight difference isn't enough to negate the extra torque.

That said, I never considered the 2.7 for a second. I hoped for a 2.3 before the engine choices were even announced. It's a fantastic engine.
Sponsored