First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have not seem anywhere stating it's going to be a more mild tune. Also the favt that the Bronco engine makes 300hp and 330 torque with 93 Octane gas tells be its not a different 2.3 or smaller turbo.

I have no doubt a Ford performance tune will net the 2.3 in the Bronco around 350hp or so and 390 ft lbs of torque give or take. And covered under warranty because believe it or not that is a mild tune for this engine.
Sources tell Ford Authority that the Ford Bronco 2.3 Power Pack could net gains of around 25 horsepower and 30-40 pound-feet of torque for Ford’s I-4. The Ranger’s Power Pack provides an extra 45 horsepower and 60 pound-feet of torque from the same powerplant and optimizes the shift schedule for Ford’s 10-speed automatic transmission, but also comes with a Ford Performance high-flow K&N air filter.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/11/ford-bronco-to-gain-horsepower-torque-via-upcoming-power-packs/

Also the new Mustang that makes 330hp/390tq has an upgraded turbochanger borrowed from the 2.3 RS version.

The power increase compared to the standard engine, like in the RS, is in part a result of larger turbocharger wheels. The new turbocharger has a 63-mm impeller wheel, which is a match for the unit on the Focus RS engine and 3 mm bigger than on the standard EcoBoost Mustang.
Sponsored

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have no doubt a Ford performance tune will net the 2.3 in the Bronco around 350hp or so and 390 ft lbs of torque give or take. And covered under warranty because believe it or not that is a mild tune for this engine.
I don't know how you can have "no doubt" that the Bronco power pack will have around 350hp/390tq when the Ranger power pack that is already out only makes 315hp and 370tq.

Last edited:

Boostedblues

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2011 F-250, 2004 Ranger 2016 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Over the weekend I drove and wild track and a big bend back to back. I originally wanted 2.3 with a manual but after driving the 2.7 I think that's what I will be getting. there was a huge difference in torque and the 2.7 definitely pushed the sasquatch faster than the big bend with smaller tires. I definitely wouldn't get a 2.3 auto. it felt like it got to the higher gears and started lugging at about 45-50mph. I love the 2.3 in my RS. with a manual I'm sure the 2.3 bronco would be more fun and engaging. I think I want the convince of having remote start. plus if I want to row some Gears I can just hop in the RS.

amexboi

Outer Banks
First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mercedes glc 300
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Considering that you can only get a manual with the 2.3 butt feel would go to 2.3 hands down. Prob not the right way to put that but oh well.
Just curious what people think about both the 2.3 and the 2.7 since the Broncos release out into the wild.

I have no first hand experience with driving either engine in the Bronco but I did own the 2.3 in my Ecoboost Mustang. In short it was great in the Mustang.

So I ask this for a couple of reasons. It's seems in a lot of You tube reviews both the 2.3 and the 2.7 get similar 0 to 60 times when testing acceleration. Of course the 2.7 is a little faster but not by much. The reason being even though the 2.7 is more powerful it also weights more which negates the power advantage and makes the front end heavier. So it makes sense.

Another reason I ask is because for some still waiting for their Broncos order to be filled it seems the 2.7 is a major constraint and is the hold up. Switch to the 2.3 and boom your order will be filled faster and your Bronco will get built.

The biggest and most important reason I ask this is because of the recent issues with the 2.7s dieing. I don't know if this is because of the pandemic and Ford had to switch to a different 3rd party supplier for critical parts or what but it seems it's definitely a thing. Plenty of people on this very forum had their 2.7 engines fail. Reliability is pretty dam important when it comes to your engine.

I should note that my Bronco reservation and order is for the 2.7 as of now so I'm not cheerleadering the 2.3 or biased.

So with all this in mind is the 2.3 shaping up to be the better choice for the Bronco?
I've had my Outer Banks for about 6 wks now. I kept thinking I had made a mistake ordering the smaller engine. But as soon as I started driving it I completely changed my mind. I use premium fuel and drive in Sport mode and it's great. Equally as fast as my GLC 300. I don't think you will feel you sacrificed anything. I spent the extra $'s on the Luxe package. Very happy with my choices and not having to wait.

Ohenry

Big Bend
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have the 2017 F150 with the 2.7 and I am ordering the 2.7 because they fixed the issue with the newer motor.
More power is always better but when I got my 2.7 it was a left over with $11k off.

Sponsored

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford may want to make 150k a year Broncos but it ain't happening anytime soon. And the 2.7 engine problem is a new development. So who knows how bad it is as of now. We'll know within a couple years how many 2.7s grenade. Until then buckle up. This entire Broncos release has been one gigantic sh$t show!! And it's rolling down hill fast.
Not disagreeing. Their ramp up seems extraordinarily bad.

projectrally

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 RF / Factory Five 818 / 2018 CX-5 GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My prediction: the manual transmission Broncos will last for 250,000 miles without any maintenance to their clutch or drivetrain, if driven by someone with the faintest inkling of an understanding of how to shift. Corollary prediction: 17% of owners with a 10 speed automatic will need repairs within 75,000 miles. 34% will need repairs within 150,000 miles. Mark my words. I'll be back in 10 years to check in. (MT owner)

Last edited:

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
My prediction: the manual transmission Broncos will last for 250,000 miles without any maintenance to their clutch or drivetrain, if driven by someone with the faintest inkling of an understanding of how to shift. Corollary prediction: 17% of owners with a 10 speed manual automatic will need repairs within 75,000 miles. 34% will need repairs within 150,000 miles. Mark my words. I'll be back in 10 years to check in. (MT owner)

confused-perplexed.gif

sammy3boy

Black Diamond
First Name
Samson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am one of those who owns 2.3 Bronco 4 door Sasquatch and no problem so far. I am gonna wait till Ford performance power pack for the smaller engine comes in the market next year which is supposed to increase the HP to 300 and the torque to 355 which I think should be sufficient enough for Medium off roading 🙂 But in the end everyone with Engine they have ordered for as per their needs.

Sponsored

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not seem anywhere stating it's going to be a more mild tune. Also the favt that the Bronco engine makes 300hp and 330 torque with 93 Octane gas tells be its not a different 2.3 or smaller turbo.

You don't have to worry about the engine. It's the tranny.... I would guess that since the Bronco got the lighter duty tranny it make sense the tune would be lighter as well

kpark_67

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Considering that you can only get a manual with the 2.3 butt feel would go to 2.3 hands down. Prob not the right way to put that but oh well.
Not true. You can get the auto on the 2.3L or 2.7L. You can only get the manual on the 2.3L.
Sponsored