The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m in the same boat, but I think we’re safe. New Bronco orders are the ones that are limited to the 2.3L.
I'm just wondering how safe the people like me are that don't have build dates yet? I definitely don't want to wait another year!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
The Driving Viking

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
God this is such a cluster f**k!! I feel like I've waited forever and it just keeps getting worse. 😭

Last edited:

Alienpilot

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (2-Dr)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This topic crosses my mind daily. I currently have a 2.7 on order 2 DR Sasquatch.

My daily driver now is a 2 DR Jeep Rubicon with the 2.0T. It has more than enough power and if you drive it slow (under 60 mph) it gets great fuel mileage.

The Bronco nor the Jeep is a drag car. It's an all terrain capable vehicle.

Just looking underneath the hood of a Bronco with A 2.7 sends chills down my spine. It looks horrific from a mechanics standpoint. Two turbo's equals twice the problems down the road and twice the funds that you will spend fixing it should it/they fail.

I'm a gluten for power and that's why I have the 2.7, however my mind keeps telling me to go with the 2.3. Especially for a 2DR and possibly manual. Currently I have an automatic on order.

Watch the TFL video of the Ford Ranger with a a 2.3 and new chip installed.

I also owned a 2018 Jeep Wrangler V6 and I can tell you I prefer my 2019 Wrangler with the 2.0T any day.

For those with these large car four doors, maybe the 2.7 is the way to go. If you are a 2 door guy, I'm not sure if there is any advantage going with a 2.7 over a 2.3.

Maybe someone can make a video comparing the 2 door and 4 door Bronco's with both engines.

OP
OP
The Driving Viking

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
This topic crosses my mind daily. I currently have a 2.7 on order 2 DR Sasquatch.

My daily driver now is a 2 DR Jeep Rubicon with the 2.0T. It has more than enough power and if you drive it slow (under 60 mph) it gets great fuel mileage.

The Bronco nor the Jeep is a drag car. It's an all terrain capable vehicle.

Just looking underneath the hood of a Bronco with A 2.7 sends chills down my spine. It looks horrific from a mechanics standpoint. Two turbo's equals twice the problems down the road and twice the funds that you will spend fixing it should it/they fail.

I'm a gluten for power and that's why I have the 2.7, however my mind keeps telling me to go with the 2.3. Especially for a 2DR and possibly manual. Currently I have an automatic on order.

Watch the TFL video of the Ford Ranger with a a 2.3 and new chip installed.

I also owned a 2018 Jeep Wrangler V6 and I can tell you I prefer my 2019 Wrangler with the 2.0T any day.

For those with these large car four doors, maybe the 2.7 is the way to go. If you are a 2 door guy, I'm not sure if there is any advantage going with a 2.7 over a 2.3.

Maybe someone can make a video comparing the 2 door and 4 door Bronco's with both engines.
I agree with this. Pretty much what I'm thinking as well. Most people that tested the 2.3 were in the 4 door behemoth. The 2.3 in a smaller lighter 2 door would be a different story entirely.

OP
OP
The Driving Viking

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree with this. Pretty much what I'm thinking as well. Most people that tested the 2.3 were in the 4 door behemoth. The 2.3 in a smaller lighter 2 door would be a different story entirely.
And let's not forget the Ford performance tune that's coming out 👍

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For me, I've always been a 2-dr buyer. The weight is serious concern. The 2.3L sheds that excess weight without sacrificing the power.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have both a 2.3 sas 2 door and a 2.7 sas 4 door. They are equally peppy and fun but I haven't tested their peak performance. I thought at the time of order that the 2.3 would be adequate for the 2 door and I still agree with that. The 2 door is overall more fun to drive even though it is a base and 4 door is a FE. I don't plan on keeping this 2 door forever but if I get another I would choose a 2.7 instead due to the dual injection. Getting a 2.3 for cost savings and then blowing that savings on performance upgrades does not make sense to me, just get the 2.7. Getting a 2.3 because you want a manual does.

Last edited:

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are wanting a fast vehicle, then you shouldn’t be looking at a Bronco.
Having said that, the 2.3L is more than adequate as it has previously been described. It accelerates faster than it needs to in Sport mode, runs like a raped ape off-road in Baja mode and it doesn’t bog down in the mud all the while delivering between 20-22 avg MPG. I’m not sure what else you need, but I am pretty impressed with it for being a 4 banger. The only thing I am not impressed with is the exhaust sound. It would be nice if it were a bit more throatier although no one is going to pull your man card for driving it and it certainly sounds better than many of the rice burners on the road. 😉

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drove a 2.7 a while back and a 2.3 manual, just this week. It cemented that I made the right choice ordering the 2.7. it wasn't terrible (adequate) until I hit a big hill. The turbo lag and just dragging the 2.3 up was taxing. Granted, this was a 4 door BL, but not SAS. This is all opinion oriented and clearly people love their 2.3s. I wanted manual and very much wish it was available in SAS for '21. If mansquatch was available in '21, I would have done it, kinda glad now that it wasn't. I'm not looking for a rocketship, it's an off-road vehicle, but I can't imagine the 2.3 on serious mountainous drives. Clearly some have had issues with the 2.7.... I guess that's what warranty is for. We'll see next month!

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Driving Viking

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I drove a 2.7 a while back and a 2.3 manual, just this week. It cemented that I made the right choice ordering the 2.7. it wasn't terrible (adequate) until I hit a big hill. The turbo lag and just dragging the 2.3 up was taxing. Granted, this was a 4 door BL, but not SAS. This is all opinion oriented and clearly people love their 2.3s. I wanted manual and very much wish it was available in SAS for '21. If mansquatch was available in '21, I would have done it, kinda glad now that it wasn't. I'm not looking for a rocketship, it's an off-road vehicle, but I can't imagine the 2.3 on serious mountainous drives. Clearly some have had issues with the 2.7.... I guess that's what warranty is for. We'll see next month!
I think the much smaller lighter 2 door 2.3 would have performed much better. Those 4 doors are long and heavy.

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the much smaller lighter 2 door 2.3 would have performed much better. Those 4 doors are long and heavy.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I drove a 2.7 2dr and that thing moved. I'm sure the 2dr 2.3 is fine. I will say, the manual was awesome. Very smooth, short throw, easy clutch. I could have it for 20k over MSRP!

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm anti-4dr but it doesn't seem like a couple hundred pounds would make that big a difference. That's just 1 passenger.
Sponsored