The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm anti-4dr but it doesn't seem like a couple hundred pounds would make that big a difference. That's just 1 passenger.
A 4 door with the 2.7 is like 5,300 lbs. I think the 2 door with a 2.3 is around 4,300 or so. I haven't looked in awhile but that's a big difference.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A 4 door with the 2.7 is like 5,300 lbs. I think the 2 door with a 2.3 is around 4,300 or so. I haven't looked in awhile but that's a big difference.
That's like a stripper base 2dr vs fully loaded 4dr. Like for like the difference is a couple hundred pounds in the body, another hundred or so in the engine. My 2dr 2.3 BL is still creeping up on 5k.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.3 has historically been plagued by a variety of issues. The 2.7 has not. Kinda surprised by the anecdotes.

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm curious how many on this thread have driven both? It seemed like a huge difference to me. I have driven a 2.7 4dr, 2dr and a 2.3 4dr.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's like a stripper base 2dr vs fully loaded 4dr. Like for like the difference is a couple hundred pounds in the body, another hundred or so in the engine. My 2dr 2.3 BL is still creeping up on 5k.
907290534882725898.png

The 4 door base 2.7 is 4,476
2 door 2.3 is 4286...
negligible difference.

Sponsored

DFNMAN

Base
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 2dr, 15' M3, 07' FJ, 03' M3, 79' 928
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am a dealer and I see a lot of Ecoboost Mustangs with less than 100k miles in the inop lanes due to engine problems. It seems like the the 2.7 is going the way of the IMS bearings in the Porsche 996s, which is overhyped by internet forums.

KEM IA

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 2.3 and 2.7 are both good engines but I wish Ford would push out a V8 before the big GOV. Makes it harder for companies to produce them because of regulations.

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am a dealer and I see a lot of Ecoboost Mustangs with less than 100k miles in the inop lanes due to engine problems. It seems like the the 2.7 is going the way of the IMS bearings in the Porsche 996s, which is overhyped by internet forums.
You're talking about the 2.3L correct? What type of problems? Please be specific.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Also I haven't heard about any issues with the 2.3. Zero.
You missed the thread earlier this week regarding issues with the bottom-of-engine-mounted alternator in the 2.3 due to water exposure.

OP
OP
The Driving Viking

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
You're talking about the 2.3L correct? What type of problems? Please be specific.
The 2.3 is the only Ecoboost in the Mustang. I haven't heard of major issues. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You missed the thread earlier this week regarding issues with the bottom-of-engine-mounted alternator in the 2.3 due to water exposure.
My Xterra has a low mounted alternator. Never had a problem with it. Mud, water, zero issues.

Liberaldemon

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just curious what people think about both the 2.3 and the 2.7 since the Broncos release out into the wild.

I have no first hand experience with driving either engine in the Bronco but I did own the 2.3 in my Ecoboost Mustang. In short it was great in the Mustang.

So I ask this for a couple of reasons. It's seems in a lot of You tube reviews both the 2.3 and the 2.7 get similar 0 to 60 times when testing acceleration. Of course the 2.7 is a little faster but not by much. The reason being even though the 2.7 is more powerful it also weights more which negates the power advantage and makes the front end heavier. So it makes sense.

Another reason I ask is because for some still waiting for their Broncos order to be filled it seems the 2.7 is a major constraint and is the hold up. Switch to the 2.3 and boom your order will be filled faster and your Bronco will get built.

The biggest and most important reason I ask this is because of the recent issues with the 2.7s dieing. I don't know if this is because of the pandemic and Ford had to switch to a different 3rd party supplier for critical parts or what but it seems it's definitely a thing. Plenty of people on this very forum had their 2.7 engines fail. Reliability is pretty dam important when it comes to your engine.

I should note that my Bronco reservation and order is for the 2.7 as of now so I'm not cheerleadering the 2.3 or biased.

So with all this in mind is the 2.3 shaping up to be the better choice for the Bronco?
I am no expert and I have driven both in a 4 door. The 2.3 was peppy and felt great. The 2.7 just sounds more fun. I ordered a 2 door with the 2.7 because I want it to feel a little more nimble (for a brick). I think anyone making assessments of the engines are just people speculating. This engine in this car is new and it will be some years and thousands of broncos later that will determine how they are performing. Lets revisit this thread in 2025

Mustang_75_99

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150, 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know it has more torque. But if it weights a lot more then the 2.3 and the real world performance is similar does it matter that it has more torque on paper?
From what I found the weight difference between a 2.3 vs a 2.7 is just over 20 lbs. I don’t think that minor weight difference has much of an impact on 0-60. I haven’t seen a comparison, but I bet the 2.7 is considerably better at the 30-50 and/or 50-70 accelerations.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The 2.3 is more proven, maybe you could say reliable however it has some known maintenance that must be performed as the engine ages.

I've driven the 2.3 only and have found the acceleration to be adequate but I also haven't really laid into either demo I've had out of respect to the vehicles themselves (one had 43 miles, the other had 650 miles).

Keep in mind though the bump up to the 2.7 isn't so you can have a faster 0-60 time. It is for the torque available when needed in off road situations. I think the 2.3 will again be adequate in these situations but the 2.7 will be the better performer (obviously).

I went with a 2.3 for price, and to get the vehicle sooner. I do plan to only fill with 93 and the power pack as well through Ford. Doing those things should make the 2.3 quite stout.
Sponsored