The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think we sort of lost our focus in this thread. This was more of is the 2.3 turning out to be the better engine to get due to the circumstances. Like getting your Bronco faster because the 2.7 is a constraint and also with the because of the current 2.7 issues with quality all of sudden for what ever reason.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think we sort of lost our focus in this thread. This was more of is the 2.3 turning out to be the better engine to get due to the circumstances. Like getting your Bronco faster because the 2.7 is a constraint and also with the because of the current 2.7 issues with quality all of sudden for what ever reason.
For what it's worth, I switched to the 2.3 and wound up getting a build date in January. Initially I had chosen the 2.7 but communication from Ford said my order may be delayed due to them ironing out some quality issues. So I think your line of thought makes sense.

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
anecdotal stories are not able to be extrapolated into viable data. I would not suggest anyone change their engine choice based on a handful of complaints
Yep, there is a selection bias whereby dissatisfied buyers will share their feedback at a higher rate than satisfied buyers. When sampling a large population, this creates substantial risk of over-representing the subpopulation impacted by these engine failures because you have an incomplete picture of A) the overall population and B) the subset of the overall population impacted by engine failure

TL;DR: angry people complain more than happy people praise

Vandy

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only reason I'm going with a 2.7l on my 4dr Sasquatch is because I live at higher elevation in Utah. We have long mountain inclines (parleys canyon) and I want to be able to pass with enough power on these scary roads that many drivers treat like racetracks. If I were at sea level I would go 2.3 all day.

Sponsored

MrOzMan

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The only reason I'm going with a 2.7l on my 4dr Sasquatch is because I live at higher elevation in Utah. We have long mountain inclines (parley's) and I want to be able to pass with enough power on these scary roads that many drivers treat like racetracks. If I were at sea level I would go 2.3 all day.
2.3 won’t make it up Parley’s? What the?? Dude, I would drive my old windows 1996 Bounder with a 240hp 460 up Parley’s. Pretty sure a 300hp Bronco will make it up there with no problem at all.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just curious what people think about both the 2.3 and the 2.7 since the Broncos release out into the wild.

I have no first hand experience with driving either engine in the Bronco but I did own the 2.3 in my Ecoboost Mustang. In short it was great in the Mustang.

So I ask this for a couple of reasons. It's seems in a lot of You tube reviews both the 2.3 and the 2.7 get similar 0 to 60 times when testing acceleration. Of course the 2.7 is a little faster but not by much. The reason being even though the 2.7 is more powerful it also weights more which negates the power advantage and makes the front end heavier. So it makes sense.

Another reason I ask is because for some still waiting for their Broncos order to be filled it seems the 2.7 is a major constraint and is the hold up. Switch to the 2.3 and boom your order will be filled faster and your Bronco will get built.

The biggest and most important reason I ask this is because of the recent issues with the 2.7s dieing. I don't know if this is because of the pandemic and Ford had to switch to a different 3rd party supplier for critical parts or what but it seems it's definitely a thing. Plenty of people on this very forum had their 2.7 engines fail. Reliability is pretty dam important when it comes to your engine.

I should note that my Bronco reservation and order is for the 2.7 as of now so I'm not cheerleadering the 2.3 or biased.

So with all this in mind is the 2.3 shaping up to be the better choice for the Bronco?
Best engine ever engine in my Bronco. I went Base, I went Auto, I went Auto and then I went to Las Vegas from Tennessee. [Having diffilculty leaving LV, though.][Not mechanical]

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isn’t the 2.3 to 2.7 ratio something like 1:5? I would expect the 2.7 to have a higher reported failure number due to the overall imbalance.

That said I have 3000 miles on the 2.7 and have had no issues. 1000 of those miles have been loaded up and towing things and the engine just purrs through it. I went with the larger engine for the towing capabilities and I have no regrets.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This topic crosses my mind daily. I currently have a 2.7 on order 2 DR Sasquatch.

My daily driver now is a 2 DR Jeep Rubicon with the 2.0T. It has more than enough power and if you drive it slow (under 60 mph) it gets great fuel mileage.

The Bronco nor the Jeep is a drag car. It's an all terrain capable vehicle.

Just looking underneath the hood of a Bronco with A 2.7 sends chills down my spine. It looks horrific from a mechanics standpoint. Two turbo's equals twice the problems down the road and twice the funds that you will spend fixing it should it/they fail.

I'm a gluten for power and that's why I have the 2.7, however my mind keeps telling me to go with the 2.3. Especially for a 2DR and possibly manual. Currently I have an automatic on order.

Watch the TFL video of the Ford Ranger with a a 2.3 and new chip installed.

I also owned a 2018 Jeep Wrangler V6 and I can tell you I prefer my 2019 Wrangler with the 2.0T any day.

For those with these large car four doors, maybe the 2.7 is the way to go. If you are a 2 door guy, I'm not sure if there is any advantage going with a 2.7 over a 2.3.

Maybe someone can make a video comparing the 2 door and 4 door Bronco's with both engines.
I wish I could compare them directly for you. Other than being a ticking time bomb under the hood, the 2.7 has a fair amount of grunt in the 2 door. While I don't think that I would enjoy the 4 cylinder as much, there is only a 300cc increase in displacement, I would have preferred to see the 3.5 ecoboost under the hood to have differentiate the v6 from the 4 cylinder.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was never a Ecoboost fan boy, but knew I had to have the largest engine option. I don't have many miles on my 2.7 yet (500) and the roads are snowy/ice but what I have been able to get out of it has been awesome power wise, smooth, fuel efficient (compared to everything else I own).

Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you decide to go the 2.3 route, I would seriously consider pairing it with a manual trans. I have enjoyed driving mine (2dr BD non-sas) and I have been very satisfied with the combo.

My advice, worth what you pay for it, select the engine that meets your particular need (towing for example). If you don't have a particular need for a larger engine, then select whichever the dealer recommends will arrive the soonest. When you butt is in the seat, driving around, there is a negligible difference between the two...both will be satisfying.

Last edited:

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You missed the thread earlier this week regarding issues with the bottom-of-engine-mounted alternator in the 2.3 due to water exposure.
Nice try. It was the 2.7L. Here is his follow-up thread confirming the dealer saying his alternator was the fault of failure. And I responded with a link to his original thread where he details his Bronco's specifics.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

anecdotal stories are not able to be extrapolated into viable data. I would not suggest anyone change their engine choice based on a handful of complaints
OK Jake, now I'm impressed. I always thought you were quite smart, but that line with them thar big words removed all doubt. ;) :cool:

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most people that tested the 2.3 were in the 4 door behemoth. The 2.3 in a smaller lighter 2 door would be a different story entirely.
Do you realize the weight difference between a 2 and 4 door is only approx. 200 lbs? It's not a big difference.

It's like a quarter of a second in a quarter mile.
Sponsored