First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Isn’t the 2.3 to 2.7 ratio something like 1:5? I would expect the 2.7 to have a higher reported failure number due to the overall imbalance.
We have a 2.7 in my wife's F-150, I also frequent the F-150 forums. I can count the number of dropped valves on the F-150 reported on the fingers of one foot.

Something is not right (statistically speaking) with the 2.7 in the Bronco.
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
d) Only ~ 17,600 Broncos delivered/sold by Oct 31 - including 2.3's -
Ford's "sold" numbers include the mannequins due to how they do their accounting. So keep in mind that sold does not mean "sold to customers".

mkennedy009

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Triumph Bonneville T100 110th Anniversary
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No one has commented on the real issue, so let me. simple power to weight calculation, is just that, simple. The easy way to choose an engine, not accounting for the manual, the less crap on your truck and around your waist. Get the 2.3. If you are like me and are above average of 175 lbs and want the 12 inch screen, heated everything, accessories galore, plates of steel, then I have to get the 2.7. As the weight goes up the 2.3 P2W drops to below adequate.
I ride a 42hp moto that gets 62mpg. So both engine choices suck, from my perspective. They are like driving a model T (yes I have in the mid 80s). It will get you around with no hit of fun. On the street, off road it will be the fun we are buying.

RobL2112

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

On my original order I had selected the 2.3L (2 Dr. OBX w/ SAS, Lux)... when I did the order update for 2022, I changed it to the 2.7L. My rational was simple, I am coming from a 2013 F-150 with the 3.5L and enjoy the power that engine has. I figured since the Bronco has the aerodynamics of a cinder block, I'd rather have the extra power for when I need it versus wishing I had it. I am a later reservation so I am not expecting to see the rig anytime soon so if there are any ongoing issues with the 2.7L, I assume they will be solved by then and if not, that is what the warranty is for.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Either engine is perfectly serviceable. The V6 will have more consumables and in theory should need oil changes more often due to the extra 2 cylinders that need plugs, injectors, and generate combustion gasses.

Both are direct injection engines. They both will need intake valve cleaning eventually. (note, the 2.7 has port injection to reduce the need for cleaning. The 2.3 does not)
My sense is that both engines have to "work" to move the Bronco around. It is a relatively heavy vehicle. This comparison is nothing like the 318 vs 360 comparisons or 302 vs 351 comparisons.
These two power plants are closer to each other than that. in power output. (the bronco v6 is small, my experience is with the ford 3.8)
The 2.3 has a longer stroke, larger bore, and lower compression ratio
The 2.7 should rev more readily

The fuel economy of both engines is a good indication of the efficiency the engines are able to produce for the load they carry.

Looking at the chart from Cnet on the 2021 MPG. The 2.3 leads the 2.7 in all categories. The Auto leads the Manual in most categories (likely related to stop-start, and the additional gears).

Each person has to take all of that into account and decide for themselves. I don't think there is any wrong choice in this case. Now if the 3.5l Ecoboost was available, then we would have something to argue about. (Ford would never do it. The fuel economy would be horrendous)

Last edited:

Sponsored

TopRecon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
So a $500 tune on a 2.7 means the 2.3 is right back where it started?
Theoretically yes, but will the transmission even be able to handle much more than the stock 2.7 is putting out? If the TR60 is the potential bottleneck that it's rumored to be, a tuned 2.3 seems like the better option to me.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wish I could compare them directly for you. Other than being a ticking time bomb under the hood, the 2.7 has a fair amount of grunt in the 2 door. While I don't think that I would enjoy the 4 cylinder as much, there is only a 300cc increase in displacement, I would have preferred to see the 3.5 ecoboost under the hood to have differentiate the v6 from the 4 cylinder.
Why do you say the 2.7 is a ticking time bomb?

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't care about a 6,000 pound 4 door Sasquatch. I'm talking about the 2.3 for the 2 door Bronco for me. And for $500 dollars a tune gives the 2.3 basically the same power as the 2.7 actually more power.

But regardless which Bronco after the cheap $500 warranty freindly tune giving you the same power of the 2.7 how then would you not be satisfied?? It would literally feel the same.
The world is not about you. We are on a forum with thousands of people. I am writing my driving experience of both so that everybody can read about it. If it does not apply to you cause you have a 2 door base or whatever, good for you.

You seem very sure of yourself for someone who has not driven both. Like I said twice it‘s not just about the power. The main reason I changed to the 2.7 was the engine feel, the way the 2.7 is super smooth and the way the 2.3 was nervous in a unpleasant way. Your tune is going to do nothing about that.

But hey, I am sure anyone with the 2.3 or 2.7 will ultimately enjoy their Bronco, it’s an amazing vehicle. You don’t have to try to convince everyone to make you feel good about your choice.

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For me, the issue is fuel injection. Several mechanics have told me that direct injection motors will eventually have carboned valve issues. 2.3 is direct injection. 2.7 has direct and port injection. Port injection keeps the valves clean.

Sponsored

Austin Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Street Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 4 door, BD, SAS, with the 2.3 in transport. Hopefully take delivery next week. I had the 2.7 in a 2016 f150 and it was fine. No complaints. My cousin has a 2020 ranger (weighs less) but the engine seems more than adequate. When I saw the 300hp (with premium), that sounded about right, and more than the v6 jeep engine that comes standard. Hoping for the best. Drove the 2.3 at the rodeo (nom Sas) had no problems.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Here's another irritant for your incontinence ;)

For those of you that need engine advice-

While you can opt for an Outer Banks with Ford's 2.3-liter turbo I-4, our test vehicle was equipped with the $1,895 2.7-liter twin-turbo V-6. MotorTrend contributor Basem Wasef simultaneously happened to be driving a two-door Bronco Outer Banks with the four-cylinder, and he felt that even in the smaller, lighter Bronco model, the little engine is weak sauce. Additionally, the Outer Banks trim only comes with a 10-speed automatic transmission, and since you can't get any manual Bronco with the V-6, the big engine is absolutely the way to go. Unconvinced?
This new Bronco is no lightweight, as it tipped our scales to the tune of 4,828 pounds. To put that in perspective, a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara ("Unlimited" is Jeep-speak for four doors) with a 3.6-liter V-6 weighs 4,391 pounds. There's more than 400 pounds of additional beef on the Ford. Yes, you want the V-6.

You can learn more reading one article from automotive experts than of hundreds of owner/test driver reviews...
Right until you realize that most of the heft was probably Sasquatch related, as my 2D 2.7 OBX weighs 4319# from the factory with the heavier V6. You can learn more from reading one rail car receipt than you can from any number of articles by so called automotive experts.

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 2.3 under the hood is very open and Accessible . The 2.7 under there is almost a nitemare to get to something for a repair. Later down the road the 2.3 might be better for repairs . Huge difference.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No one has commented on the real issue, so let me. simple power to weight calculation, is just that, simple. The easy way to choose an engine, not accounting for the manual, the less crap on your truck and around your waist. Get the 2.3. If you are like me and are above average of 175 lbs and want the 12 inch screen, heated everything, accessories galore, plates of steel, then I have to get the 2.7. As the weight goes up the 2.3 P2W drops to below adequate.
I ride a 42hp moto that gets 62mpg. So both engine choices suck, from my perspective. They are like driving a model T (yes I have in the mid 80s). It will get you around with no hit of fun. On the street, off road it will be the fun we are buying.
So, just as some counter perspective, today I started the 2nd week of ownership with 1064 miles...

I spotted an empty dirt field in San Angelo, pulled off the road, selected Baja mode, 4L, and locked the rear diff. The acceleration of the 2.7 with 33's in 4L with the 2.7 on loose dirt was still pretty savage. Donut mode was absolutely sick and my girlfriend was clutching the oh shit handles with all her might in the passenger seat while yelling OMG the whole time.

My Bronco from the factory weighs 4319 pounds per the rail company manifest. With the 2.7, with automatic transmission, with the advanced 4x4, with the rear locker, with the lux package, and with the tow package.
It probably porked up 40 lbs x 4 rims/tires (160 lbs), but even at 4480 lbs, worse case... It was a total hoot in the dirt. We then packed up a few people and headed out on a 300 mile road trip. I will probably end the day at around 1500 miles.

The 2.7 was not a choice I regret and off-road it makes up for a whole bunch of short comings on the road (wind noise and the MIC top being the most obvious criticism that I would have.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The 2.3 under the hood is very open and Accessible . The 2.7 under there is almost a nitemare to get to something for a repair. Later down the road the 2.3 might be better for repairs . Huge difference.
Pull the turbo piping (which is trivial) and you will find it more roomy than you expect. I agree, with the pipes in place, it looks like a nightmare.
Sponsored