First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m debating between the 2.3 and 2.7 engines in a 2 door Base Sasquatch. Outside of power differences, does the 2.3 handle any differently than the 2.7?

I assume the lighter weight of the 2.3 might make for more nimble handling and steering, but I’m curious from owners that have driven both, particularly in my trim.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, GT350, 991, Rubicon, Viper, Nissan Z32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drove both back to back several times before I decided on a trim. I was mostly going back and forth because of the transmission.

I really did not notice anything different about the handling.

Scape Goat

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is only about a 100lb difference in weight. You will not notice a difference.

Gooch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F350, 2022 Badlands, 2022 Basquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2.7, BL, Lux, SAS, Auto, Hard Top and a 2.3 Base, SAS, Auto, Soft Top. Both 4 doors.

There is certainly a difference. The Base feels more nimble in terms of handling and how the accelerator responds. The BL feels more planted, tank like on the road, and requires more pressure on the accelerator, however, once you reach "that spot" on the accelerator the torque puts you back in the seat. It feels very controlled. Not to mention the exhaust makes all the right noises.

In short, the 2.3 feels more nimble yet tamed on the road, linear in acceleration. The 2.7 feels more planted to the road and "muscle car" type response with a more aggressive acceleration.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What do you mean by "handling"?

On the street, the Sasquatch is tall enough that the handling is very different from something like a Mustang. Which engine you choose won't make a difference there.

I would be surprised if even the car magazine tests could detect a difference in handling between two Sasquatch Broncos where the only difference is the engine.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's been about year since I drove a 2.7 so my memory could be lying but I don't remember any real difference. The suspension is too soft for it to matter much.

Gooch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If your question is to me. I mean the steering feels lighter, more responsive, more nimble versus the 2.7 feels like it requires more effort, input.

The sway (inertia) on the 2.3 is more evident than it is in the 2.7. Hence the term "more planted on the road". The 2.7 feels like you are swinging more weight around on quick steering inputs.The weight feels bottom heavy on the 2.7.

The 2.7 generally feels like a heavier vehicle when driving.

NAP51DMustang

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nun-ya
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2.7, BL, Lux, SAS, Auto, Hard Top and a 2.3 Base, SAS, Auto, Soft Top. Both 4 doors.

There is certainly a difference. The Base feels more nimble in terms of handling and how the accelerator responds. The BL feels more planted, tank like on the road, and requires more pressure on the accelerator, however, once you reach "that spot" on the accelerator the torque puts you back in the seat. It feels very controlled. Not to mention the exhaust makes all the right noises.

In short, the 2.3 feels more nimble yet tamed on the road, linear in acceleration. The 2.7 feels more planted to the road and "muscle car" type response with a more aggressive acceleration.
That "planted" feeling isn't due to the engine...

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I daily a 2.3L Squatch and have driven 2.7L versions. No significant difference other than power/torque for the same body style. You'll feel a bigger different going from a 2 door to a 4 door, or a Squatch vs non-Squatch. The engine difference has virtually no bearing on handling.

Gooch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fair enough. I don't know what contributes to the "planted" feeling, but it is noticeable. Even my wife feels the difference. First thing she noticed when we picked up the 2.3, three weeks after we picked up the 2.7.

Again, only speaking from my experience and trims. It probably has to do with my 2.7 configuration that actually makes it a heavier vehicle.

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Any "handling" difference is going to be more about the tire diameter than the engine weight. A light weight 32" tire is going to be far more responsive than a 35" heavier tire. Just the difference in sidewall height between the two would be noticeable.

OP
OP

jllanglo

First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thank you for the responses everyone. I currently drive a Ranger Tremor with the 2.3L and much prefer it’s driving dynamics and lighter steering feel compared to the Broncos I’ve driven.

I know tires and the SAS package go a long way in contributing to a heavier steering wheel, but I’ve never driven the 2.3L Bronco so I was curious if the lighter engine contributed to a lighter and more nimble steering feel when compared to an equivalent 2.7L.

It sounds like there’s mixed responses on this but given @Gooch ‘S experience, that may be the case.

Gooch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Both of my Broncos have Sasquatch, so tire diameter is the same. No?
I realized that I'm the only one in this discussion that actually has both engines sitting in my driveway. My experience isn't from, "I test drove both" or, "a year ago I...".
I'm not sure what is so hard to believe? I have no reason to make this up.

Again, my 2.7 has the Lux package, and that in itself could contribute to a significant weight difference. When someone asks me "how does it handle?" I take into consideration not only from a slalom aspect but an overall driving experience. The OP asked "outside of the power difference".
My 2.7 weighs in at 6180, my 2.3 weighs in at 5980. I just checked.
The driving experience, to include handling IS different.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t have a 2.3. But I know from my 2.7 tire pressure makes all the difference in the handling. Just ran 120 miles down 75 yesterday. Set pressure at 33 cold. Was running 35 at speed. Group I was in was running 90-95. Thing cut lanes like a champ. Was very happy with the lower pressure. That was the best highway handling I’ve experienced yet. I ran 32 cold on my f150 with mtr 35’s for 100k plus miles (2 sets) and was extremely happy with that setup. Think the recommended psi is epa bs personally.

OP
OP

jllanglo

First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Both of my Broncos have Sasquatch, so tire diameter is the same. No?
I realized that I'm the only one in this discussion that actually has both engines sitting in my driveway. My experience isn't from, "I test drove both" or, "a year ago I...".
I'm not sure what is so hard to believe? I have no reason to make this up.

Again, my 2.7 has the Lux package, and that in itself could contribute to a significant weight difference. When someone asks me "how does it handle?" I take into consideration not only from a slalom aspect but an overall driving experience. The OP asked "outside of the power difference".
My 2.7 weighs in at 6180, my 2.3 weighs in at 5980. I just checked.
The driving experience, to include handling IS different.
Your feedback was exactly what I was looking for thank you. I take it you’re happy with the 2.3?
Sponsored