Sponsored

2.3 VS 2.7 when going with automatic transmission?

First Name
jsalvador
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello a question I would like to know how good the engine 2.3 works in a transmission of 10 automatic shifts?
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the 2.3L 4 cylinder mated to a 10 speed auto in my Ford Ranger Tremor. Its a powerful engine.. punches far above its weight class. The shifting is buttery smooth and unless I floor it, I never actually notice the gear changes. Its also fairly adaptive and seems really solid at choosing the right gear for the situation.

I think a lot of people notice the turbo lag (its still there, despite being a twin turbo) and attribute it to the 10 speed instead of realizing its just a natural part of having a turbo.

Other than how jerky the engine can be when the turbos kick in (lots of torque!), its a fantastic combination.

Ford also sells a performance tune for the 2.3L which will give it an extra ~50HP and ~60 lb feet of torque.. which puts it right in line with the bigger 2.7L engine. For the Tremor, that software update is about $800 MSRP.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isn’t the 2.3 a single scroll engine?

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isn’t the 2.3 a single scroll engine?
Could be and maybe thats why I notice the turbo lag. Im new to Ford so still learning the specifications, and I have the 2.7L on order for the Bronco.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Could be and maybe thats why I notice the turbo lag. Im new to Ford so still learning the specifications, and I have the 2.7L on order for the Bronco.
It's a single twin-scroll on the 2.3L
The 2.7L V6 uses twin single-scroll turbos.

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's a single twin-scroll on the 2.3L
The 2.7L V6 uses twin single-scroll turbos.
Single twin scroll - I wasn’t aware of that design.

Off to the googles after work - time to learn something!

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Single twin scroll - I wasn’t aware of that design.

Off to the googles after work - time to learn something!
Maybe I wasn't that clear - the 2.3L has only one turbo, but it's a twin-scroll.
The 2.7L has two turbos, but they are each single-scroll.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe I wasn't that clear - the 2.3L has only one turbo, but it's a twin-scroll.
The 2.7L has two turbos, but they are each single-scroll.
No, you were clear. I simply don’t know the guts of a single twin-scroll turbo. I’m guessing it’s a two stage single pass turbo (I’m a mechanical engineer and understand turbomachinery) but I’ve never looked into the 2.3 in great detail. I just knew it only had one turbo.

Thanks for the info - I’m genuinely curious.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No, you were clear. I simply don’t know the guts of a single twin-scroll turbo. I’m guessing it’s a two stage single pass turbo (I’m a mechanical engineer and understand turbomachinery) but I’ve never looked into the 2.3 in great detail. I just knew it only had one turbo.

No worries, that is about the limit of my understanding of how they work..would love to hear your analysis of them in further detail đź‘Ť

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

A twin scroll turbo is exactly what it sounds like, it has two inlets into the turbine, each one is supposed to be paired to minimize the interference between cylinders firing (overlap between exhaust pulses) and maximize the separation between exhaust pulses (kind of like scavenging). The reason why the 2.7 uses the single scroll is because the firing order is already alternating between cylinder banks giving it a similar effect. The benefit of a single scroll turbine is obviously in overall flow in the same given exhaust area. The twin scroll in particular improves low RPM response due to the higher velocity in the scroll runners at some expense of high RPM flow.

Last edited:

Sponsored

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m very tempted (and leaning)to get the 2.3 and automatic in my Badlands build. My 2016 explorer has the 2.3 ecoboost. It’s obvious not a racer, but always has what I need for merging on the freeway and passing on Texas highways. The explorer doesn’t have near 270hp, so it’s hard to understand how 270-300hp wouldn’t be more than enough for everything I currently do, and plenty for the amount of off-roading convenient to Houston. *No way am I getting the manual for Houston driving!
Also, I have over 100k on the explorer, so the 2.3 has always been reliable for me.

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m very tempted (and leaning)to get the 2.3 and automatic in my Badlands build. My 2016 explorer has the 2.3 ecoboost. It’s obvious not a racer, but always has what I need for merging on the freeway and passing on Texas highways. The explorer doesn’t have near 270hp, so it’s hard to understand how 270-300hp wouldn’t be more than enough for everything I currently do, and plenty for the amount of off-roading convenient to Houston. *No way am I getting the manual for Houston driving!
Also, I have over 100k on the explorer, so the 2.3 has always been reliable for me.
I always enjoy people trying to reason that the 2.7L is needed because they need to be able to merge onto the freeway and the 2.3L won't be enough. Do they think every vehicle pre-2005 when 300hp was exceedingly rare on anything outside of supercars and muscle cars just crashes and burns every time it has to get up to highway speeds on a half mile long on-ramp?

Panmort

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I currently have the 2.3 manual BB on order but I'm tempted to switch to the 2.3 auto so I can get the mid package. Which has also tempted me to just upgrade to the outer banks 2.3 auto. :LOL:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I always enjoy people trying to reason that the 2.7L is needed because they need to be able to merge onto the freeway and the 2.3L won't be enough. Do they think every vehicle pre-2005 when 300hp was exceedingly rare on anything outside of supercars and muscle cars just crashes and burns every time it has to get up to highway speeds on a half mile long on-ramp?
This is an amusing point, the 2.3 liter has PLENTY of power and can be made to make plenty more. That simply is a non-issue, I just want the V-6 because I am a gearhead and I want the bigger motor for no rational reason other than "just because I can".

In actuality, the 2.3 liter motor is likely to be more reliable due to fewer parts and only having 1 turbo, which will only increase reliability. If the MTBF (mean time between failure) of a turbo is 100k miles (with a range of 50k-150k), having two of them doubles your probability of having a failure before the MBTF thus decreasing your overall reliability. (BTW, the example there is not an actual MBTF for the turbo or even an estimate of it, it's just a mathematical example).

Panmort - that's actually a really sensible combination, but do still miss out on one pedal trail driving that the 2.7 gives for off-roading (a small sacrifice for $1900).

Last edited:

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A twin scroll turbo is exactly what it sounds like, it has two inlets into the turbine, ...
The twin scroll in particular improves low RPM response due to the higher velocity in the scroll runners at some expense of high RPM flow.
Thank you, sir! You reminded me to look into this.

In case anyone wants more info on this design: http://www.whyhighend.com/twin-scroll-turbo.html

I couldn’t find a sketch of the Ford 2.3l turbo but this diagram shows the concept of twin scroll:
Ford Bronco 2.3 VS 2.7 when going with automatic transmission? EACE4723-8FFE-49BA-8B66-258EAB668CF0
Sponsored