Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ordered my 2.3 BD 4 door, Sas...I’ve done a little reading up on the 2.3 ecoboost oem tune available for Ranger... it will give you a few extra ponies and more torque, covered under warranty ..I think it’s around $800. I’m not sure if it’s immediately available, or if it’s on accessories list yet. If it is I didn’t see it
sure I could go with the 2.7 but I’d prefer to take deliver sooner than later..
Thoughts??
Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That's certainly your call if you want to. These boards are FULL of people that love the idea of tuning these engines.

My take on it, is it worth the added stress on the engine?

There you go, now all the little turbo freaks can come in here and tell us otherwise ;)

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s listed as being available in Q4 of 2021 on the accessories list. Definitely on my list of add ons.

jalexa27

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's certainly your call if you want to. These boards are FULL of people that love the idea of tuning these engines.

My take on it, is it worth the added stress on the engine?

There you go, now all the little turbo freaks can come in here and tell us otherwise ;)
The good news is the 2.3 is the same as the ranger, which is borrowed from the focus RS. If the sources are all correct, the internals are all forged and plenty strong. No durability issues to be had with the stock tune. As long as you put the correct gas in it.

I can't find where I found out, but I believe it was a Q4 2020 item. So you could drive it for a bit, then have a dealership install it if you so decide it is needed.

jalexa27

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The good news is the 2.3 is the same as the ranger, which is borrowed from the focus RS. If the sources are all correct, the internals are all forged and plenty strong. No durability issues to be had with the stock tune. As long as you put the correct gas in it.

I can't find where I found out, but I believe it was a Q4 2020 item. So you could drive it for a bit, then have a dealership install it if you so decide it is needed.
Damn... It is 2021 already!!!!.... Shiiiiiii....

Sponsored

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you are really going to spend 800.00 for a tune. Get the 2.7 if getting auto. If you are getting manual, it will be fine. Just keep the tune in your back pocket if you change something up and need the extra power. Waiting wouldnt be the issue for the right set up for You.
2 door badland, 2.3 w manual. I wont need it. My heavy v6 jku has been everywhere i want to be. I do pull over for the motorcycles and sports cars while going up mountains though. Whats the hurry, enjoy the view. Flats, no problem.

Btw. The 2.3 will outperform the v6 jk, jl.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Personally I think the Ford tune is a waste of money when you have the 2.7 available for only $900 more. The Ranger doesn't have this option so that's why so many of us tuned ours. Everyone seems to "think" the 2.3 will be underpowered in the Bronco but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with it. I would drive it for a while and see how you like it and then decide. The Ford warranty is only good for the 3/36 so after that you're on your own. Why not just wait and get an aftermarket one for half the cost and double the power? Plus with Livernois you'll get all their tunes and free lifetime updates/support.

I have a Livernois tune in my Ranger and it's 80hp/100 tq running their 91-93 performance tune. There are several others who have it and the Unleashed tune and no ones blown up their trucks and some drag them every weekend. These motors are capable of so much more so unless you're beating the tar out of it all the time I wouldn't worry, but this is not to say it's indestructible.

Stevegp

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 mustang gt. F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Research the Ranger 5g forum on our sister site.
Firstly , the Ranger tune only recommends up to 32” tires , hopefully the Bronco tune adjusts for larger.
More importantly there now seems to be lawsuits against Ford due to the fact that after they sold the tunes they later disclosed that towing with a tune would void the warranty.
The Ford tune that comes with warranty adds around 45hp to the Rangers for a cost of around $800 but I’m still skeptical to the stress that it’s placing on the I4.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you're getting an automatic, there's no reason to get the 2.3L

@EvlNvrDys is just afraid of things he doesn't understand like why anyone would choose a color besides Race Red and deodorant. ;)

Personally I think the Ford tune is a waste of money when you have the 2.7 available for only $900 more. The Ranger doesn't have this option so that's why so many of us tuned ours. Everyone seems to "think" the 2.3 will be underpowered in the Bronco but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with it. I would drive it for a while and see how you like it and then decide. The Ford warranty is only good for the 3/36 so after that you're on your own. Why not just wait and get an aftermarket one for half the cost and double the power? Plus with Livernois you'll get all their tunes and free lifetime updates/support.

I have a Livernois tune in my Ranger and it's 80hp/100 tq running their 91-93 performance tune. There are several others who have it and the Unleashed tune and no ones blown up their trucks and some drag them every weekend. These motors are capable of so much more so unless you're beating the tar out of it all the time I wouldn't worry, but this is not to say it's indestructible.
Could you expound on the difference in driving before and after your tune?

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You meant $1900 right?
Yes the 2.7 is $1,900 and the Ford tune is $800 plus you have to pay to have it installed which IIRC is around $180.00 to get the warranty.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Could you expound on the difference in driving before and after your tune?
The Ranger has drive and sport modes and with the tune it's like running it in sport mode on steroids. It tightens up the shifts all the way through and pulls really hard when you get on it. Now IF you drive it normal you'll still feel some difference over stock but it's not super crazy or underivable around town. It's really noticeable when you punch it as there's no turbo lag and it just takes off. Especially when you're already up in speed like on the highway doing 70 it's like a rocket from there.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm also looking forward to a tune, but really gotta drive one first to see if it's really needed given that the Ranger I tried was perfectly capable with the 2.3. I've got fast cars to play with, and I really don't anticipate going 'fast' in a Bronco.

Something nice and conservative that gives a few extra torques is always welcome though.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Ranger has drive and sport modes and with the tune it's like running it in sport mode on steroids. It tightens up the shifts all the way through and pulls really hard when you get on it. Now IF you drive it normal you'll still feel some difference over stock but it's not super crazy or underivable around town. It's really noticeable when you punch it as there's no turbo lag and it just takes off. Especially when you're already up in speed like on the highway doing 70 it's like a rocket from there.
Appreciate it! Livernois has done some great work with the EcoBoost engines and the Ranger 2.3L is the closest analogue we have for now; more than the Mustang due to weight, etc.

On Topic:

Ford tunes these engines for safety, reliability, and one thing that has almost become more important than any other due to federal--and Californian--regulation which is fuel economy and emissions.

I wasn't terribly concerned about the 2.3L's power, because I can read, but the KOH video and first-hand tune review by @AzScorpion are reassuring.

Delivery timeline worries? I don't think the 2.7L is going to be as late availability as everyone else, but I do believe that Ford planned for 2.3L only and the 2.7L was a "last minute" change so there is a supply chain imbalance incoming; they anticipated X number of 2.3Ls and now have a mix of engines that they assume will be heavily laden with 2.7L engines now. All the FEs have 2.7L engines and get built "first" which takes ~7000 2.7L engines upfront rather than spread out over the model year.

If the 2.7L came with a manual transmission, then I would be getting it. Reservation holders getting an automatic and the 2.3L is something that will continue to baffle me. After reservations die off, though, I could understand buying a 2.3L auto off the lot.
Sponsored