First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Appreciate it! Livernois has done some great work with the EcoBoost engines and the Ranger 2.3L is the closest analogue we have for now; more than the Mustang due to weight, etc.
It's been rumored that Livernois either designed or helped design the Ford tune but still no confirmation on that one yet. I think the MyCal and ProCal tuner is the same and in there you can adjust for tire size and gearing. Also with Livernois you get 5 tunes for the Ranger and I'm sure the Bronco will be the same seeing as it's the same motor and basic platform.

87-89 performance & soft shift tune
91-93 performance & soft shift tune
Tow tune

It only takes about 2-3 minutes to flash between tunes but I don't recommend doing it to often as it takes time for the drivetrain to "learn" the new tune. I just run the 91-93 performance tune using 91 octane and I'm averaging 21.8 mpg when driving it normal. The only time I flash back to stock is when I'm off roading because the tune is way to aggressive off road or when bringing it back to the dealer for any service.

For my Bronco I'm getting the 2.3 because I don't feel it's necessary the spend the extra $1,900 for the 2.7 for what I'm using it for and I'm happy with the 2.3 after driving it for almost 2 years now.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for that read! Somebody needs to fly his old professor out to do a write-up on the Bronco's 2.3L setup when we get our hands on it.

The only concerns anyone with a 2.3L Bronco should still have is the unknown manual transmission... I'm absolutely getting it, but either the bugs will be worked out by the time I get mine or there will be aftermarket fixes/upgrades.
Ditto on both points. Ill just take it easy initially until I see the limits of the oem clutch/trans.

Btw, since Im a newbie to off-roading, lighter or heavier flywheel?

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cool stuff. I think the ability to tune can help give those on the fence confidence that they can add HP to the Bronco if they find the 2.3 needs more. As long as I can get it in reasonable time, I am still going 2.7, just because I so love my current 2.7 so much, but if it's 3 or more months delay, I will jump on the 2.3, knowing it gives me another way to upgrade in the future, which is fun to tinker with too.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sweet jesus, is that the IC that's going on the bronco?! WHERE'S THE REST OF IT?!

*starts shopping*
Its the Mustang, but probably the same thing across the board.

Also, this is for the Ranger, Mishimoto vs stock hotside charge pipe:
Ford Bronco 2.3 with oem power pack tune?? IMG_20210114_110631155_HDR_2 (1)

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Definitely a consideration. Tunes can usually be done in stages and I’d recommend going with a reputable aftermarket tuner and building your performance up in increments. You could go down the rabbit hole of cold air intakes, exhaust swaps, turbo changes, and intercooler replacements when all you really need is a software change using a $400 tuner.

For example, I found that a Stage 1 tune on my ST was enough for my needs. Stage 1 was simply setting changes in the ECU, and adding launch control and flat-foot shifting. For the 2L the tuner said that adding a CAI didn’t improve anything but adding noise, same with the exhaust. The only other mod they suggested was to change the intercooler if I was going to track the car because of heat soak issues. I added a catch can (first thing I’ll do on the Bronco).

Point is, you may find incremental power and torque gains are all you’re going to need. You can work directly with your tuner to dial in the performance you want to achieve. I’d suggest you drive it stock for a time, wait for the tuning threads to start amassing on this forum, learn from other people’s successes and mistakes, then decide how you want to bump your 2.3l.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 1.5 3 cylinder ecoboost bronco sport (loaner) in my driveway right now and in sport mode both my wife and I were surprised at how quick it is in sport mode. I feel the same about my 2.7 ecoboost f150. Isn’t sport mode just a factory tune? I assume the oem performance one will be great. I do think an eco mode is good for traffic though to save on fuel.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definitely a consideration. Tunes can usually be done in stages and I’d recommend going with a reputable aftermarket tuner and building your performance up in increments. You could go down the rabbit hole of cold air intakes, exhaust swaps, turbo changes, and intercooler replacements when all you really need is a software change using a $400 tuner.

For example, I found that a Stage 1 tune on my ST was enough for my needs. Stage 1 was simply setting changes in the ECU, and adding launch control and flat-foot shifting. For the 2L the tuner said that adding a CAI didn’t improve anything but adding noise, same with the exhaust. The only other mod they suggested was to change the intercooler if I was going to track the car because of heat soak issues. I added a catch can (first thing I’ll do on the Bronco).

Point is, you may find incremental power and torque gains are all you’re going to need. You can work directly with your tuner to dial in the performance you want to achieve. I’d suggest you drive it stock for a time, wait for the tuning threads to start amassing on this forum, learn from other people’s successes and mistakes, then decide how you want to bump your 2.3l.
Thats the plan, although I'd definitely do the Catch Can and Intercooler first regardless, more preventive maintenance and peace of mind.

After that, its Downpipes, tunes and everything else, and of course, Valve Cover Breather's

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 1.5 3 cylinder ecoboost bronco sport (loaner) in my driveway right now and in sport mode both my wife and I were surprised at how quick it is in sport mode. I feel the same about my 2.7 ecoboost f150. Isn’t sport mode just a factory tune? I assume the oem performance one will be great. I do think an eco mode is good for traffic though to save on fuel.
Its more just a remap from the factory, its not a tune

If Ford does offer an OEM+ Tune for it, try it and notice the difference

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Its more just a remap from the factory, its not a tune

If Ford does offer an OEM+ Tune for it, try it and notice the difference
What’s the difference between a remap and a tune?

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thats the plan, although I'd definitely do the Catch Can and Intercooler first regardless, more preventive maintenance and peace of mind.

After that, its Downpipes, tunes and everything else, and of course, Valve Cover Breather's
Good call. The intercooler should be easily accessible in the Bronco.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What’s the difference between a remap and a tune?
Idk about remap, but more just its just geared to provide a different throttle response and stuff, its not adding more power

Tunes definitely gonna add power
Sponsored