Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@EvlNvrDys is just afraid of things he doesn't understand like why anyone would choose a color besides Race Red and deodorant. ;)
You also forgot a drop down tailgate and a V8 under the hood... 🤬

But no... All the little bitches want their bitch ass turbos.... 🤮

But I digress.... Carry on 😁
Sponsored

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am looking forward to the ford tune and tuner for various reasons.

I plan on keeping this thing for a LONG time like my 94 Mustang that I bought in May of 99 and plan to pass to the daughter to drive. The other not often talked about thing is the ford handheld part is also a code scanner and can reset codes and that comes in VERY handy. The F-I-L owns a Snap-On tool franchise and I have used their scan tools on various cars CEL and reset things after repairs and it is VERY handy and this will save me a 20min one way trip to their house...and he is going to retire and sell the franchise at some point so I need a end game on that front. Change tires +/- should be an easy adjustment with the Ford tool.

Having the option to get this and load a manufacturer blessed tune for just a little more powa' sounds cool. I have absolutely 0 worries about the stock power levels but why not get a little more and keep my manual.

I also agree in that upgrading the IC at the least is a smart move even without a tune making more power. Replacing the spaghetti monster of charge hoses that look to be plastic with more solid offering is probably a better long term option too.

My thoughts on the clutch has been let it be the weak link as it is consumable anyway. In my Mustang I have launched at the dragstip with 125shot of N2O with the factory t5...close to double the peak rating of the t5 trq wise. I would rather burn a $100-150 clutch than rebuild/replace my trans (although I do want a viper spec t56 or rebuild with a Astro Performance t5 A5 internals). I think the new Bronco manual will be more robust than a t5 and I do not think another 45hp or 60tq that Ford is putting out under a warrantee is going to be the death of the manual trans.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You know the old saying right?
"Do you know why turbos have lag? It's so that people with v8's think they have a chance."
My bad... I didn't know the Bronco was a sports car....

I take back everything I ever said about turbos.... No wait I don't.. Baby turbo engines are meant for little boys. Real men drive V8's.. OK well they do until we all buy the Bronco

Rvbronco

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definitely a consideration. Tunes can usually be done in stages and I’d recommend going with a reputable aftermarket tuner and building your performance up in increments. You could go down the rabbit hole of cold air intakes, exhaust swaps, turbo changes, and intercooler replacements when all you really need is a software change using a $400 tuner.

For example, I found that a Stage 1 tune on my ST was enough for my needs. Stage 1 was simply setting changes in the ECU, and adding launch control and flat-foot shifting. For the 2L the tuner said that adding a CAI didn’t improve anything but adding noise, same with the exhaust. The only other mod they suggested was to change the intercooler if I was going to track the car because of heat soak issues. I added a catch can (first thing I’ll do on the Bronco).

Point is, you may find incremental power and torque gains are all you’re going to need. You can work directly with your tuner to dial in the performance you want to achieve. I’d suggest you drive it stock for a time, wait for the tuning threads to start amassing on this forum, learn from other people’s successes and mistakes, then decide how you want to bump your 2.3l.
This is extremely good advice!

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You also forgot a drop down tailgate and a V8 under the hood... 🤬
That 2.3 4-banger is gonna make more power than my 79 did, but I do wish they had the drop down tailgate with the window rolling into it... man, that would've been a Jeep-killer feature, but it doesn't seem like they needed to make it any better than it is. If the Warthog has it because they have to put a tire carrier on it, then I'm paying stupid-ADM for one.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ditto on both points. Ill just take it easy initially until I see the limits of the oem clutch/trans.

Btw, since Im a newbie to off-roading, lighter or heavier flywheel?
It depends on what you use your Bronco for most and how much it matters to you that it drive well in the situations you want it to. However, here is a good piece about why heavier flywheels can help some in off-road situations: https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/...vier-flywheel-make-your-jeep-easier-to-drive/

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That 2.3 4-banger is gonna make more power than my 79 did, but I do wish they had the drop down tailgate with the window rolling into it... man, that would've been a Jeep-killer feature, but it doesn't seem like they needed to make it any better than it is. If the Warthog has it because they have to put a tire carrier on it, then I'm paying stupid-ADM for one.
You can't feed them false info like that @Squatch . Sure the little 4 banger does have more hp and torque than your 79...big difference between 1979 and 2021 though. So a 2021 V8 will still pull a 2021 4 banger turbo around the yard. ;)

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can't feed them false info like that @Squatch . Sure the little 4 banger does have more hp and torque than your 79...big difference between 1979 and 2021 though. So a 2021 V8 will still pull a 2021 4 banger turbo around the yard. ;)
It's not false. I am anxious to see the swappers cut the crap out of a MY21 to shoehorn the 5.0 in only to have overheating issues and suck ass off-road. I'd be looking hard at the 7.3 Godzilla despite a skirt thicker than one from Hot Topic. It's probably the better choice, but it will be a ridiculously modified rig at that point, i.e. a $100K Bronco.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My bad... I didn't know the Bronco was a sports car....

I take back everything I ever said about turbos.... No wait I don't.. Baby turbo engines are meant for little boys. Real men drive V8's.. OK well they do until we all buy the Bronco
It's ok, i was scared of change once too. But hitting the gas in something that makes 450 wtq at 1200 rpm makes a person not care as much.

Do you miss carburetor's too? :-D

Sponsored

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A little off topic but is there a factory tune available for the 2.7?

Also, if you ask me "why would you want to tune the 2.7", we probably cannot be friends. j/k

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A little off topic but is there a factory tune available for the 2.7?

Also, if you ask me "why would you want to tune the 2.7", we probably cannot be friends. j/k
I think there are (admittedly, I haven't checked since i'm getting the 2.3 anyways), but it's the same setup as the F-150, maybe check into a few of the vendors that do those? I think there's a few threads over in the other section about it.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's ok, i was scared of change once too. But hitting the gas in something that makes 450 wtq at 1200 rpm makes a person not care as much.

Do you miss carburetor's too? :-D
Oh don't get me started on a 4 barrel carb :love:
Now you're just talking dirty to me!

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score