Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please tell me you're not advertising your used car for sale on a thread about a very common 2.3L 7MT Bronco issue
I guess I am. Is that illegal?
Will I be banned for life?
I've already been banned for a week.
Yee Fn Haw!!!

Giddyup Buttercup

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
sounds like a sticky throw out bearing

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Alright I've had my Hill Assist feature turned off since Nov 3rd and am happy to report the unexplained bucking I was experiencing in low gears/cold engine has completely gone away. It's worth a try to disable the Hill Assist for anyone that's experiencing this. There is some understandable bouncing in throttle sometimes when starting from stop on a steeper incline but I attribute that to just the full weight of the vehicle against the clutch and finesse of accelerator pedal.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Alright I've had my Hill Assist feature turned off since Nov 3rd and am happy to report the unexplained bucking I was experiencing in low gears/cold engine has completely gone away. It's worth a try to disable the Hill Assist for anyone that's experiencing this. There is some understandable bouncing in throttle sometimes when starting from stop on a steeper incline but I attribute that to just the full weight of the vehicle against the clutch and finesse of accelerator pedal.
This must’ve been addressed in an update, I have HSA enabled and haven’t had a buck for about 4-5 months now.

Sponsored

ric42pars

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Explorer, 2008 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am early receiver of a Bronco Black Diamond 2.3l manual in August 2021. I can say I've had the lurching on and off since new when cold. I didn't think much of it but lurching happens in first gear if I don't give it a minute or two to warm up before driving slowly through a parking lot or driveway. I figured it was just part of the warmup cycle. I'd just push in the clutch when it started. Feels like something with throttle control to me. Not clutch related. I've grown accustomed to let it go through it's warmup before taking off.

The bigger issue I've had lately since it has gotten cold here in NC is the throttle sticking in 1st and 2nd gear. This typically happens when cold and mostly clears up when warm. Again it feels like a throttle control issue. If I take off in first gear and get past 2000 RPM before shifting, the throttle seems to hang up at 2000 RPM or little higher (up to 2300 RPM maybe) and not back down for a couple seconds, then backs down. Seems to bother me most in first and second gear but I believe it does it in higher gears also. It's really annoying and glad I have a clutch to push in just in case. The throttle pedal feels kind of sticky so I tried pulling back on the throttle pedal with my toe when shifting. Didn't change anything. Still hung at RPM.

Checking in to see if anyone else has experienced the throttle hang up issue.

Thanks.

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am early receiver of a Bronco Black Diamond 2.3l manual in August 2021. I can say I've had the lurching on and off since new when cold. I didn't think much of it but lurching happens in first gear if I don't give it a minute or two to warm up before driving slowly through a parking lot or driveway. I figured it was just part of the warmup cycle. I'd just push in the clutch when it started. Feels like something with throttle control to me. Not clutch related. I've grown accustomed to let it go through it's warmup before taking off.

The bigger issue I've had lately since it has gotten cold here in NC is the throttle sticking in 1st and 2nd gear. This typically happens when cold and mostly clears up when warm. Again it feels like a throttle control issue. If I take off in first gear and get past 2000 RPM before shifting, the throttle seems to hang up at 2000 RPM or little higher (up to 2300 RPM maybe) and not back down for a couple seconds, then backs down. Seems to bother me most in first and second gear but I believe it does it in higher gears also. It's really annoying and glad I have a clutch to push in just in case. The throttle pedal feels kind of sticky so I tried pulling back on the throttle pedal with my toe when shifting. Didn't change anything. Still hung at RPM.

Thanks.
Throttle hang during warm up is almost certainly an emissions control mechanism -- this is pretty common amongst high-compression, forced-induction cars with manuals

ric42pars

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the reply. Good to know. So I'll just deal and be careful until warmed up. Guess I need an electric Eco-friendly vehicle.

ric42pars

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Throttle hang during warm up is almost certainly an emissions control mechanism -- this is pretty common amongst high-compression, forced-induction cars with manuals
Do you think the lurching is related to this same issue?

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the reply. Good to know. So I'll just deal and be careful until warmed up. Guess I need an electric Eco-friendly vehicle.
It’s definitely a weird quirk to get used to if you’re not accustomed to newer turbocharged engines, but the ECU should do a good job of dropping the revs once you start putting some load on and shifting into gear

Sponsored
OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you think the lurching is related to this same issue?
I don’t think so, but my data is all anecdotal. The lurching still seems like a throttle map issue that happens when warming up — mine never happens when I start the truck from cold, or when still hot from last start. It only happens when the truck is somewhat warm, but not fully warmed up (oil temp between 100F and 150F).

Last edited:

ric42pars

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It seems to be worse for me when oil temp is below 100. I fixed it on the way home from work today. It is not noticeable if you rev the crap out of it and drive it like you stole it. That was a fun drive. :geek:

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had something like this happen when I changed my tires from stock to 285/75/16's, but after completing all of the forscan recalibration steps, especially the RCM relearn, it went away. Might be something to try if it's chronic and won't go away.

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks.
That sounds a bit like "icing" maybe? Lower temps and higher humidty can cause an ice buildup in the intake at the throttle plates, the low pressure area.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
20k+ and this still happens once in a while.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to only happening when the vehicle is warmed up (perhaps not fully) and then off for some time (hour or less) and I go out for another drive. Water temp is generally at 1-2 bars (not fully warmed up). Usually 2nd gear/1200-1500 RPM. Take foot off gas - goes away. Continue.
Sponsored