bronco100

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Alright I've had my Hill Assist feature turned off since Nov 3rd and am happy to report the unexplained bucking I was experiencing in low gears/cold engine has completely gone away. It's worth a try to disable the Hill Assist for anyone that's experiencing this. There is some understandable bouncing in throttle sometimes when starting from stop on a steeper incline but I attribute that to just the full weight of the vehicle against the clutch and finesse of accelerator pedal.
Gonna try this, as I also have this exact bucking issue.
Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Gonna try this, as I also have this exact bucking issue.
I’ve gone months without it happening…and then it will just come back out of nowhere. I don’t think that’s it. It seems to always be going into 2nd gear.

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just had this lurch happen again on me, but it has been so infrequent after turning off the hill assist that I can't recall when it happened last. It occurred after the truck had sat for 2 hours, engine temp at 140F, and while accelerating in first. If this only happens once every 3 months I'm fine with it. Just curious, has this issue been reduced for those that have disabled hill assist?

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m 100% certain is has nothing to do with Hill Assist.

Mine still does it once in a while too. Just did it today. Always when warm, but not full temp after I am parked for a few and get back in. First or second gear.

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m 100% certain is has nothing to do with Hill Assist.

Mine still does it once in a while too. Just did it today. Always when warm, but not full temp after I am parked for a few and get back in. First or second gear.
Completely agree. This is very repeatable for me. Go to the gym in the morning, Bronco is parked for about an hour. Stutters when driving away when the temperatures are just right. Engine is "warm". Not fully cool, not up to full temp. Driving on a steady uphill pulling away from a light. Not too often, but always in those same conditions, same exact stretch of road, same cool-ish temperatures outside. Has never happened at any other time or place. This is just shitty mapping by Ford, half-assed work on their part.

Sponsored

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This has happened twice now, on my 2.3L 7MT badlands 4dr — in first and second gear. I’ll be in gear, slowly climbing through the revs right before I shift around 3.5k or so, and the car will kind of lurch back and forth almost like I’m applying throttle and letting off, over and over. Feels like a yo-yo effect a bit. My foot wasn’t on the clutch pedal whatsoever, but as soon as I press in the clutch to shift, it stops. Has only happened when the car is relatively cold and it’s the first time I’m get up to road speed after starting it.

I only have about 350mi on it so far, so wasn’t sure if this is simply a break-in quirk or not. It does feel like some amount of ECU learning could smooth it out, or possibly a turbo/wastegate/vacuum leak issue? I remember seeing someone else’s thread talking about their clutch acting strange similar to this but couldn’t find it by searching.

This has happened a few times to me as well. About 4 times so far, and i'm at 4k miles. It always seems to happen after i've gone somewhere and parked for an hour or two. When I start it up, and let it warm up for a minute or two, i pull out of the parking lot and in first gear, rev-up to shift, and it goes into the same yo-yo effect, as if i was slamming the gas on and off. The only way to resolve is to push int he clutch and let things settle down and then continue.

I dont know...but maybe turbo lagging when it's not warmed up or ready... i really dont know

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Last time mine did it was last Fall in the Old Faithful parking lot in Yellowstone. You should have seen the look my wife gave me when she asked WTF are you doing? I had to laugh, and hang on. Bucked for a 1/4 mile before it straightened up. Hasn't done it since.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
My bronco is at the dealership right now to figure this out.

Happened twice last sunday which prompted the service appointment and happened once yesterday.

It happened many times actually, I just wasn't worried about it but now with 9,500ish miles on the bronco I figured I better get it looked at.

Did not happen during the test ride by the service guy this morning.

Waiting to hear back from the dealership!

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Last time mine did it was last Fall in the Old Faithful parking lot in Yellowstone. You should have seen the look my wife gave me when she asked WTF are you doing? I had to laugh, and hang on. Bucked for a 1/4 mile before it straightened up. Hasn't done it since.
Haha, my wife had the exact same reaction when my bronco started bucking. A quick drop into neutral & back into gear usually solves it for me. Always first or second gear, right around when it hits 2300-2500RPM for the first time.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine went months without a buck, last summer perhaps? Coincidentally, I took it in for the sway bar issues, as per the TSB the techs reprogrammed the CHCM…. Now we are back to bucking!?

What the buck!?

As always, during the cold start warm up cycle, first gear down the driveway…. And it’s not even cold out. Again, what the buck!?

And there are no new software updates that I am aware of

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My bronco is at the dealership right now to figure this out.

Happened twice last sunday which prompted the service appointment and happened once yesterday.

It happened many times actually, I just wasn't worried about it but now with 9,500ish miles on the bronco I figured I better get it looked at.

Did not happen during the test ride by the service guy this morning.

Waiting to hear back from the dealership!
Hello there- I can look into this for you. Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership information at your earliest convenience.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It comes and goes. That’s the weirdest part. Sometimes it won’t happen for months. Then it will come back and do it a few times here and there.

DBadlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco 2 Dr, ‘68 Mercury Cougar, ‘68 F100
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine has bucked for three straight days now. Each time after it sat for an hour or two after being completely up to operating temp. Each time in second gear.
I already planned to do the Ford Performance tune so hopefully that will take care of the issue.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mine has bucked for three straight days now. Each time after it sat for an hour or two after being completely up to operating temp. Each time in second gear.
I already planned to do the Ford Performance tune so hopefully that will take care of the issue.
Let us know if it does. Mine has been doing it more often as well. Pretty frustrating.
Sponsored