Sponsored

2.3L Bible: General Overviews and Information Research?

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Generally the reason that a person would choose a 4 cylinder over a larger engine is for better economy; better MPG paired with a lower initial purchase price. If price and MPG are equal I can't think of a reason someone would want the 2.3L over the 2.7L.

Based on the 2.3L ranger and the 2.7L F-150 the MPG difference is only about 1 MPG. Initial cost is still TBD, but combined with the required 10 speed it would be, what? Maybe $3,000? On a $30k-$60k truck that is a very small percentage.

As much as I want the 7 speed MT, if the 2.3L only gets 1 MPG better and cost less that 3k more, I just don't think I'll be able to pull the trigger..
I want the 2.3l because my experience with the 2.7 was not good. Preferably I would get a V8, but since I have to choose between two less than stellar options I’m going with the option that hasn’t screwed me over.

Anyone concerned about MPG is looking at the wrong class of vehicles or is buying the Bronco to mall crawl.
Sponsored

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want the 2.3l because my experience with the 2.7 was not good. Preferably I would get a V8, but since I have to choose between two less than stellar options I’m going with the option that hasn’t screwed me over.
How was your experience with the 2.3 not that great? Are you getting the auto or manual transmission?

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
How was your experience with the 2.3 not that great? Are you getting the auto or manual transmission?
I have no experience with the 2.3l so I’m willing to give it a chance. The 2.7L has left me stranded at a dealer several states from home due to a turbo failure. Not to mention the multiple oil pan leaks.

BroncOcotillo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It all depends on what you’ll be using your Bronco for. If you’ll be doing a lot of off roading the 2.3L is great because it is lightweight. That’s the main advantage I see with the 2.3L. Less weight is better for serious off roading and is a main reason why Jeep has excelled at it.

OP
OP
vrewald14

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

QuitPlayinWithYourDingy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Rav4 V6
Your Bronco Model
Base

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Here's a link to Ranger5G where you can see some engine bay pics.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/first-2-3l-ranger-engine-bay-pictures.1214/

Pretty darn full and busy in there. I wish I could better see where the alternator and A/C compressor are located.
AC compressor is essentially under the battery if memory serves (from opening the hood on the GF's Ranger this morning).

Alternator has had some teething issues on the Ranger which i'm curious how they address on Bronco. Note that the high-output alternators are pretty crazy these days, but then again, anything that is internally excited is strange to me. I just rebuilt the generator on the '51 and it was a bonnie and a beauty. Still putting out all 6.4 volts the way god intended.

Ranger alternator issues

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes I thought it was very informative. I'm particularly interested as to why they switched to electronic wastegate control vs. pure mechanical.

What is "TVIC"?
Sorry, VTC’s. The 3.5’s use them to keep tension on the timing chain and they use oil pressure. The Raptor 3.5’s started having the issue and a few of the 3.5’s in the F150’s have it. Terrible chain slap on cold start. Mine gradually got worse until the dealer service guys could replicate it. Glad the first owner bought the extended warranty.

I’ve got the wastegate rattle that people see in the 3.5’s too but that’s just a spring replacement. That’s the reason I’m excited to see the electronic waste gate.
Even after those two issues, I still LOVE my Ecoboost.

This is a picture of the two page warranty work on the VCT’s

6D0B9C01-7164-4B7A-806B-5291AA00C299.jpeg
Sponsored