Sponsored

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think thats what I mean. Lol. There has been a lot of talk about in this topic
So typically no, it might make it tow better, but you’ll have to use 93 octane fuel with the tune. The capacity or weight the vehicle is able to pull is based on the chassis, so that won’t change. Basically you would get better throttle mapping that would make the pedal a little more responsive. This and the torque delivery will be the most noteable things. Sometimes you get a little better fuel efficiency.

CFD288

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So typically no, it might make it tow better, but you’ll have to use 93 octane fuel with the tune. The capacity or weight the vehicle is able to pull is based on the chassis, so that won’t change. Basically you would get better throttle mapping that would make the pedal a little more responsive. This and the torque delivery will be the most noteable things. Sometimes you get a little better fuel efficiency.
Thank you for the info and for taking the time to reply. I have a lot more to think about.

SoccerDude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have the 2.7L Twin Turbo Beast in our Edge Sport....That being said I went to test drive the 2.3L Ranger today and it is perfectly adequate with good power, nothing like the power and drive of the 2.7L. If you are on the fence, the 2.7L is a blast to drive that will put a smile on your face, I didn't get that same feeling from the 2.3L.

It is hard to describe the power of the 2.7L, it just feels like it wants to go, like it is ready to be set loose.

LuckyDevil

Wildtrak
First Name
Lucky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Twin Turbo Black Label MKX, Harley Davidson StreetBob
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey everyone went to grab color samples, of course there were none. Asked if I could drive a 2.3L Ranger and he just gave me the keys and told me to go drive it.

I’ll upload the video but a few things:

Beginning of the video I put modest gas, modest to me is like 30% maybe.

I showed get up and go from speed, you can see the lag. Lag in this setup is about 2-3 seconds. I imagine throttle controllers could help the feel of this aftermarket for $100.

Highway entrance I put maybe 60-70% throttle, it wasn’t floored and you can see once it’s spooled, it goes and goes pretty quick.

All in all not a bad drive, It feels like a 4 cylinder until the turbo kicks in. I have no issues now with picking the 2.3L, it’s got plenty of power. Hopefully this helps some people out. Sorry about the orientation, wasn’t thinking about that while I held the phone.

Aren't there different drive modes? Sport Mode in my Twin Turbo Lincoln takes care of any noticeable turbo lag. You shouldn't have to turn to the aftermarket.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bronco4lyfe85

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Aren't there different drive modes? Sport Mode in my Twin Turbo Lincoln takes care of any noticeable turbo lag. You shouldn't have to turn to the aftermarket.
I didn’t realize there was a sport mode, it’s apparently on the shifter. So yeah, that may change some of this.

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I didn’t realize there was a sport mode, it’s apparently on the shifter. So yeah, that may change some of this.
Sport mode on my F150 is good and removes lag but it’s a PITA because I have to click through the column shifter and scroll through the different ones. Plus it makes it hold gears which I don’t need.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think this is the correct attitude to have, people are talking about power like they're expecting the Bronco to be a sports car. Think about its roots and what it's actually designed to do. Hell, with the 2.3 being plenty and the 2.7 being pretty powerful I don't even see why anyone's considering the 3.5 Raptor Bronco. It's going to be ridiculous. Don't get me wrong it'll be fun and I'd buy one if I get afford it but still let's get back to Earth.
Yeah lately I've started changing my mindset to this. I really really wanted a V8 in the beginning but after reading the reasons why they decided against it, it made a ton of sense.
Doesn't the 2.3 make more than the V8 did in the last gen Bronco?

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I find that so crazy how engines have evolved to where an engine with half the cylinders makes more power.
I agree. I'm also shocked that a 1996 5.0 put out 199 HP, but the 5.8 option only added 6 HP.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree. I'm also shocked that a 1996 5.0 put out 199 HP, but the 5.8 option only added 6 HP.
Lmao yeah I remember discovering it and thinking how hilarious it must’ve been for people to lust after the 5.8 instead like woah dude he got the 5.8! ?????

Broncoguy72

Badlands
First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2017 VW Jetta GLI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not to long ago I test drove a Ranger and a 2.7 F-150 back to back and I gotta say, they were pretty even to me. Granted the 2.7 clearly was faster, but I didn't feel like the 2.3 was lacking in the Ranger. I will say the main place I noticed the biggest difference was on the highway. Punching the 2.3 ecoboost took it a second or two to downshift, build boost, and take off at an acceptable pace, which I expected being that it is a turbocharged four-cylinder. The 2.7 ecoboost was quicker at highway speeds for sure. Punched the throttle, truck downshifted, turbo's spooled and it took off. Very quick at higher speeds according to my butt dyno. The two engines will drive very differently in the Bronco. The Ranger is lighter then the F-150, so clearly the Ranger had some kind of fighting advantage when it came to the way the two drove. Once they're both in the Bronco, it'll be interesting to see how they drive. Clearly the 2.7 ecoboost will be quicker, but by how much I wonder? Only time will tell. Good video's though!