Sponsored

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Lol. Depends on what you’re doing with it. If you hauling 3500 lbs around a lot, the 2.3 would do it but you may opt for the 2.7. If you plan on off roading an abundance of power is not really a necessity. The 2.3 is more than capable in this department. I’m planning on off-road capability so right now I’m planning for a badlands 4 door, 2.3 auto. If the price is within my budget I may add the 2.7 and Sasquatch. Just depends on price points.
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Maybe an irrelevant comment, but had an 2.0T in an Audi A4. Audi's engine is supposed to have very little turbo lag, but it drove me nuts. I moved on to a BMW 340i with the 3.0T straight six. Instant torque and then incredible torque when the turbo spools up. My point? If you haven't driven a small turbo four in the past, be sure to do so before you make your choice. For me, the 3k is worth every penny in turbo lag frustration. The 4T engines are great, but for that brief moment when you need it crossing traffic or making a two-lane road pass.
This is kinda what I was talking about, already sold off my GTI, 2.0 and manual. I'd drive around town and up to about 60 on highway in 3rd to stay on boost without even needing to shift up. The only time I'd experience lag is when I was in 5th or 6th and tried to pass someone quickly on the highway without downshifting first.

I do get it, a V6 is going to be torqier off boost and the 2.7 TT will be a beast when it comes on boost. I'd imagine the manual is pretty short in first to minimize lag and get you to the meat of the torque right away where the auto is probably more concerned with trying to smooth and economical.

tapac333

Black Diamond
First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tarasbohonok.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So.... Mileage is about 7-10mpg for average trip counter on the left side? well crap. looks like I'll be waiting even longer for the hybrid version..

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Agreed. If I were getting a 2 door I would be mansquatch all the way. Since I’m not and my wife hates manuals I’m going auto.

Sponsored

BD1

Badlands
First Name
BD1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is a lot of good info being shared here....

Opinions on 2.3 with a manual for the 2 Door? How much turbo lag? Impact of 4.7 gearing?
I have driven many manuals but not one with a turbo.

How much of a difference will you feel with the Ford performance tune with a 2.3/MT?

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Opinions on 2.3 with a manual for the 2 Door? How much turbo lag? Impact of 4.7 gearing?

How much of a difference will you feel with the Ford performance tune with a 2.3/MT?
If you are getting a 2 door and want a manual i would go for it. The ranger I drove I didn’t really notice any turbo lag. The mustang with the 2.3 manual you definitely didn’t notice any.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seeing the size of some of the buyers in pictures at the East/West events, seems like 500lbs could easily be added
I'm feeling body shamed here...

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

And as far as the tune goes they are pretty noticeable. It kinda changes the whole dynamics due to throttle mapping and higher octane fuel that will allow the tune to produce even more torque on the low end. Honestly in this type of vehicle I wouldn’t really want it. It is more suited to a mustang or performance on the road, but it all depends on what you do with the bronco.

Reactions: BD1

Sponsored

Delasangre

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I watched another youtube video on a tuned Ranger with 2.3, obviously has a 10-speed but it was enough power to drop 2 seconds off the 0-60.

I personally drive a 2016 VW GTI, 2.0 turbo with a dual clutch. Mine is tuned to make 27Lbs of boost, 290-300HP and 330 ish Lb-ft. There is really no lag unless you are south of 2000 RPM. Getting off the line is hard because it either purposely lags or it blows the tires off. I suspect the Bronco won't have that problem since it's RWD/4WD.

The Ranger I drove yesterday had plenty of punch off the line, at 30mph, and I gave it the beans down the on-ramp onto the freeway and again once I was cruising 60-65. At all speeds it had plenty of balls left to pass other cars and merge ect. Off the line it had no noticable lag, it almost felt like it jumped off the line. I really liked it.

And lastly it seems on the Badlands the manual will be 4.7 FD and the auto will be 4.46 FD without Sasquatch. I was putting in gear ratios and stuff and the ranger on stock 30's and both a manual and auto bronco badlands on 33's all do the same MPH in 1st at 3000 RPM. What that means for the acceleration FEEL I'm not 100% sure.

Reactions: BD1

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks good, but from the specs I wasn't concerned about the 2.3 getting up and going. I want to see what it's like driving the 2.3 manual on the trail, just off idle, slow... Does it have the grunt and torque to be a good trail rig?, or is it gonna wanna choke at every obstacle. Or will the slush box be a better option.

Delasangre

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks good, but from the specs I wasn't concerned about the 2.3 getting up and going. I want to see what it's like driving the 2.3 manual on the trail, just off idle, slow... Does it have the grunt and torque to be a good trail rig?, or is it gonna wanna choke at every obstacle. Or will the slush box be a better option.
Well once again, you can get the Ford Performance tune for the 2.3 and tuned the 2.3 makes the same torque as a 2.7. 370Ft-lbs
Sponsored