Sponsored

2.3l engine shut off in intersection !!!

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone else had this happen to a 2.3 liter? It was over 100degrees yesterday evening. I drove 5 miles to a park, went for a 40minute run. Started the Vehicle (forgive my previous sin of calling it a car), drove 150 yards and went to turn onto the main road exiting the road which is maybe a 2 degree incline and as soon as I lifted my foot off the brake and started to press the gas it died and the dash said to put in park to start up the car. No check engine light or any sort of error code. Started right up with no issue. Thankfully I was not in the middle of the road or had just pulled out in front of oncoming traffic.

I am going to have the dealer note it on my record.

Ford Bronco 2.3l engine shut off in intersection !!! 61D24FCF-2A5F-4ECD-8391-7479EFEE60F0
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kameronatm

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Service just told me there is no way to note it on my account without dropping it off for a 2-3 week diagnostic with no loaner vehicle... I am going to have to keep driving it and pray it doesn't die in the middle of traffic.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish people would quit calling the Bronco a car it is not.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Service just told me there is no way to note it on my account without dropping it off for a 2-3 week diagnostic with no loaner vehicle... I am going to have to keep driving it and pray it doesn't die in the middle of traffic.
They would have a million quirky customer experiences noted on each vehicle, that may or may not have actually happened, if Ford didn't check out the claims for themselves.

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
car. /kär/ noun
  1. a four-wheeled road vehicle that is powered by an engine and is able to carry a small number of people.
What is it? Let me guess....a rig?

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had this happen twice in my F150. Both times it was a similar situation to what you described. I think it’s just a specific scenario that somehow confuses the auto start stop system and forces you to manually restart the vehicle.

After the second time that happened in my F150 I turned off the A.S.S. for good, never use it in my Bronco either

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

car. /kär/ noun
  1. a four-wheeled road vehicle that is powered by an engine and is able to carry a small number of people.
What is it? Let me guess....a rig?
No it's clearly a Mustang don't you see the horse on it? Gosh!

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds normal for a heat soaked engine right after startup, it stalls easier than normal. Just either wait a few minutes before driving or give it more gas when letting out the clutch.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did you have auto shut off engaged? Just curious.
ive had mine off since the 2nd day of owning. Wonder if it had anything to do with that. 3 weeks? Insane!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kameronatm

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Corrected, thank you for taking time to correct a pointless discrepancy. The point is that my BRONCO’s engine (not motor) inexplicably died and Ford gives no way to note it on my record.

OP
OP
Kameronatm

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds normal for a heat soaked engine right after startup, it stalls easier than normal. Just either wait a few minutes before driving or give it more gas when letting out the clutch.
Automatic transmission, was parked in the shade or a garage all day. Have driven in similar heat and it hasn’t done this before. 3 months old.

OP
OP
Kameronatm

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you have auto shut off engaged? Just curious.
ive had mine off since the 2nd day of owning. Wonder if it had anything to do with that. 3 weeks? Insane!
Auto off was active and that appears to be the indicator symbol on the dash. I don’t think it would have engaged as it never does when the auto AC is fighting the Texas heat.

OP
OP
Kameronatm

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They would have a million quirky customer experiences noted on each vehicle, that may or may not have actually happened, if Ford didn't check out the claims for themselves.
I get it but engine dying in a roadway seems worthy of noting for future potential diagnoses.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Has anyone else had this happen to a 2.3 liter? It was over 100degrees yesterday evening. I drove 5 miles to a park, went for a 40minute run. Started the Vehicle (forgive my previous sin of calling it a car), drove 150 yards and went to turn onto the main road exiting the road which is maybe a 2 degree incline and as soon as I lifted my foot off the brake and started to press the gas it died and the dash said to put in park to start up the car. No check engine light or any sort of error code. Started right up with no issue. Thankfully I was not in the middle of the road or had just pulled out in front of oncoming traffic.

I am going to have the dealer note it on my record.

61D24FCF-2A5F-4ECD-8391-7479EFEE60F0.jpeg
Hello, Kameron! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this engine concern. Thanks!
Sponsored