First Name
Nunya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ / Tacoma TRD Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is anyone else having a major dilema right now? I am very torn between getting a 2.3L manual or the 2.7L auto. I was very disappointed to here the manual would not be mated to the 2.7L. Yesterday I actually went to a ford dealer ship and test drove a ranger that had the 2.3L ecoboost, it wasn't terrible but it felt more like a car than a truck. The engine does make similar horsepower to my wifes V6 TRD Tacoma. All that being said I still have trouble wrapping my head around a 4 cyliner bronco, especially if I am shelling out 35K plus. The sasquatch isn't a big deal to me, I just want to be shifting gears!
Sponsored

BroncoHooves

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Is anyone else having a major dilema right now? I am very torn between getting a 2.3L manual or the 2.7L auto. I was very disappointed to here the manual would not be mated to the 2.7L. Yesterday I actually went to a ford dealer ship and test drove a ranger that had the 2.3L ecoboost, it wasn't terrible but it felt more like a car than a truck. The engine does make similar horsepower to my wifes V6 TRD Tacoma. All that being said I still have trouble wrapping my head around a 4 cyliner bronco, especially if I am shelling out 35K plus. The sasquatch isn't a big deal to me, I just want to be shifting gears!
2.3L + Manual + 33" KO2's would probably be a fun combo.

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F250 XLT
I am upset about that choice. I wish the 7spd was available with the 2.7. That would be a no brainer. I really want that manual transmission. I guess I will just have to boost my 2.3. I NEED that sasquatch package in my life though. Mostly because adding those things later would take time and not be covered under manufacturer warranty.

5StringSlim

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going for the 2.3 manual in the 2 door Badlands. My wife has a 2020 JLUR with the stick and 3.6 - we are used to its powertrain. I'm going to predict the 2.3 will be the same or better.

Pcpacker

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going for the 2.3 manual in the 2 door Badlands. My wife has a 2020 JLUR with the stick and 3.6 - we are used to its powertrain. I'm going to predict the 2.3 will be the same or better.
this is my plan too. I was disappointed about no Sasquatch with manual at first but I think for a daily driving car, the 33 ATs are better anyway. There aren’t too many places you can’t go with the non Sasquatch badlands.
My problem is with both the 2.3 and 2.7. I don’t want an ecoboost. My last one was a disaster.

Sponsored

Pcpacker

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And I love the fact they are making a 2-door and a manual in the first place. That was purely for the enthusiasts.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you gotta have the manual you gotta have the manual. That's yours to sort out though. I want the power and the fat tires. YMMV

OP
OP
Kachopsticks

Kachopsticks

Black Diamond
First Name
Nunya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ / Tacoma TRD Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
this is my plan too. I was disappointed about no Sasquatch with manual at first but I think for a daily driving car, the 33 ATs are better anyway. There aren’t too many places you can’t go with the non Sasquatch badlands.
My problem is with both the 2.3 and 2.7. I don’t want an ecoboost. My last one was a disaster.

Yea this is basically where I am at right now. My off roading adventures consists of beach/snow/dirt roads. I am likely not going to be rock crawling. It will be my commuter so the 33s are not a bad way to go for me. A four door 2.3L just isn't sitting right with me though, but on the other hand I am craving a manual. I have my reservation in for a Black Diamond and fortunately I have a few months to dwell on what direction I am going to go. MY wife brought up leasing a bronco. I might do that and if they come out with a V6 manual next year I can dump the lease and upgrade. Idono, I was curious to see if people were in the same boat.

Pcpacker

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It would be amazing if it could have the 5.0 coyote but that’s probably overkill. I wish Ford had a v6 like the one Chevy uses in the camaro and blazer.
I hadn’t thought about leasing. I am pretty settled on the 2 door and for sure want the manual.

here is my list of cars trucks over my lifetime.
Suzuki samurai manual
Honda Accord auto
Geo Prism manual
Nissan Pathfinder auto
Chevy s10 Zr2 manual
Chevy Tahoe auto
Nissan Frontier manual
Nissan Pathfinder finder auto
Ford Edge auto
VW GTI manual
Ram 1500 Auto

there was a minivan in here too for my wife and now she drives a Honda Passport auto.

Sponsored

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, and the Jeep.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My Rubicon is manual. When I bought it the idea was for it be be driven by both my wife and I: trails, camping, parks, normal Wisconsin stuff. Then our daughter would learn and we'd live in a candy forest and be friends with the squirrels. Reality was that it's pretty much only ever used by me. The wife, who knows perfectly well how to drive stick, drives her suv, and my daughter has no interest in driving, much less driving trails with a stick shift. Ugh. Given that I genuinely and consistently prefer manual transmission, and because it would be replacing what had become MY Rubicon, I concluded early on that the Bronco too would be manual. If it's not offered, I told myself, I simply wouldn't get one.

Well fast-forward a few months and my ideals have softened. The photos came out. Nice. The First Edition looks to be ONLY automatic. Shrug. Did I just shrug? Truth is, I'm not even disappointed. If it's automatic, well, maybe the wife will use it. And, assuming she takes her face out of her phone for a moment, maybe my daughter will too. I have plenty toys. That more of my family could possibly use the Bronco has become more important than the satisfaction I derive from a manual transmission.

I feel old.

Nate

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yea this is basically where I am at right now. My off roading adventures consists of beach/snow/dirt roads. I am likely not going to be rock crawling. It will be my commuter so the 33s are not a bad way to go for me. A four door 2.3L just isn't sitting right with me though, but on the other hand I am craving a manual. I have my reservation in for a Black Diamond and fortunately I have a few months to dwell on what direction I am going to go. MY wife brought up leasing a bronco. I might do that and if they come out with a V6 manual next year I can dump the lease and upgrade. Idono, I was curious to see if people were in the same boat.
The stock Bronco with 33s would do fine rock crawling on many trails. Most of the trails I explored in the Rocky Mountains over a decade while living in Colorado ... well they were rocky. :) Steep and rocky and off-camber. Required slow speed trail work and trying to avoid tipping over. Sometimes you don't even want to be jacked up with lift and big tires when tilting sideways. Mostly I explored in relatively stock 4x4s with open diffs and 31" tires. A new Bronco with 33s should do fine (pending how well the IFS works). Sasquatch package is nice, but probably overkill for lots of folks.

Pcpacker

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m on The other side of the Rockies in Utah. I’ve taken my Ram truck up some places in the high Uinta lakes that I had to stop and walk the last mile. Loose rock and tight turns. I’m sure however that a 2 door badlands with 33’s would make it.

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I myself don't care for a manual anymore. My current car is a manual but driving in Miami traffic is enough for me to say no more. I only dig the manual for better control and not having to worry about future tranny issues that occur with automatics and the cost to fix them

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Na, more power means more chance of breakage, 2.3 with Auto or stick is fine if that is what I end up with depending of Ford. If I want to scoot like a raped ape I will drive my C10 with its locker and 3 speed manual.
Sponsored