First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I thought I would share the oil analysis from my 2.3L Mustang. This is my first turbo engine and, like some of you, I was concerned about how well the oil was going to hold up. I also wanted to determine a good oil change interval.

Normally I like to change my oil and filter at about 7500 miles. Due to various circumstances I had a couple extra thousand miles before I got it changed. The car's computer said there was 5% oil life left.

The oil analysis shows that it held up well, even at 9500 miles. I consider this validation for spending the extra money on a full synthetic oil and I'll continue to run Mobil 1. I will probably continue to plan my oil changes at 7500 miles, since I don't like to push the limits just to save a few bucks. I have confidence in the car's oil life calculation and won't worry if the interval is a little more than 7500 miles.

Ford Bronco 2.3L Oil Analysis Oil Report
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very cool! Have you verified the Mobil 1 you are using meets the DI ILSAC GF-6 / API SP specification? My last batch from Costco did not. If I end up with the 2.3L I will make sure whatever oil I use carries the rating. It's in another thread on this forum somewhere as well. I usually change my oil early as well, I like the "extra" protection full synthetic provides if I have to go a little longer too.

Last edited:

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Here's another one for the 2.3l for 5, 10, and 15k miles on my RS. I use the recommended Motorcraft oil and filter.

Blackstone reports are awesome and while it makes for a $100+ oil change its worth it IMO.

Ford Bronco 2.3L Oil Analysis Screenshot_20201111-072508_Drive

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you have a catch can installed or is this without? Interesting data for sure.

Sponsored

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Full synthetic change every 5-6k has been good to me too.
Side note, did you have oil consumption issues in that 2.4L? Looking at 2.4L jeeps for my wife to replace her old hyundai.

Born and bred in WNY. Nice to see a fellow fan.

OP
OP
rcengr

rcengr

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My oil from the last change is not the latest, it's ILSAC GF-5 and is also SN Plus.

I do run a catch can. It doesn't collect much, but when I look at the crud in the bottom, I'm glad I had it.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Side note, did you have oil consumption issues in that 2.4L? Looking at 2.4L jeeps for my wife to replace her old hyundai.

Born and bred in WNY. Nice to see a fellow fan.
Im sorry you meant to say you were looking at 2.0L Bronco Sports to replace your wifes hyundai, right? ;)

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great advice and good info i believe rick astley had mentioned this ,im going to do it as well.

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did these on my old 3.5 ecoboost. I found that 12k miles was about the limit of amsoil signature series full synthetic. I usually just changed it when the car wanted in the 9k range.

Sponsored

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Im sorry you meant to say you were looking at 2.0L Bronco Sports to replace your wifes hyundai, right? ;)
Ha only on badlands? Not spending that coin. Looking at compass 2.4l, escape 1.5

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This is the sort of scientific evidence that will disprove those folks claiming the 2.3 has universal fuel dilution issues.

Exactly the type of research which will be soundly ignored by 99% of people on here so their claim of "high strung and short-lived" 2.3 turbo motors make sense when they fill the order banks out for their twin turbo v6 Bronco and their ball-squirtingly awesome extra 46 cubic inches.

Okay, on topic: You should be running a higher zinc content oil than Mobil 1 for this application, note the drastically higher zinc findings in ASK NO RIDER's results. You should be at the 850-900 mark at minimum in order to ensure maximum turbo efficiency and lifespan.

Great to see another engine that is not one of the very-rare units to have fuel dilution in the oil. Typically that failure comes from the high pressure fuel pump, not the block. But something to keep an eye on is rising oil levels.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is the sort of scientific evidence that will disprove those folks claiming the 2.3 has universal fuel dilution issues.

Exactly the type of research which will be soundly ignored by 99% of people on here so their claim of "high strung and short-lived" 2.3 turbo motors make sense when they fill the order banks out for their twin turbo v6 Bronco and their ball-squirtingly awesome extra 46 cubic inches.

Okay, on topic: You should be running a higher zinc content oil than Mobil 1 for this application, note the drastically higher zinc findings in ASK NO RIDER's results. You should be at the 850-900 mark at minimum in order to ensure maximum turbo efficiency and lifespan.

Great to see another engine that is not one of the very-rare units to have fuel dilution in the oil. Typically that failure comes from the high pressure fuel pump, not the block. But something to keep an eye on is rising oil levels.
Yeah once you modify anything the difference between a 2.3 and a 2.7 is as laughable as the difference between a 351M and a 400M. Remember when Bronco 2s had 2.3 4cyls and 2.8 6 cyls? The difference is basically nothing. Both had their faults and both architectures lived way longer than anyone ever expected. 2.3 limas are still used as race car motors. and the colognes came from the 60s and lived till the 2000s.

Both the motors are fine, the only issue is if you want manual or auto.