Sponsored

2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW. I don't give a dang which you have, the water fording thing is crap. The first time I went with this thing I hit two legit mud patches with standing water and this is what my air filter looked like after vacuuming off and filter box after the cover removed.

Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. af1

Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. af2

Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. airbox

Lid was on tight and mud/water did not get anywhere near the top of the grille. This is definitely a problem and am going to advise anyone looking at this to carry at least one or two filters if you're going to be going through water or mud pits.

ETA: All of the previous concerns I had with bronco just took a back seat to this. If the problem is systemic, engines gonna be hydro locking like crazy. No way would I trust this on a stream/river crossing I couldn't walk across and not get water in my boots.
Sponsored

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Happy with my 2.7. Just past 11,000 miles.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW. I don't give a dang which you have, the water fording thing is crap. The first time I went with this thing I hit two legit mud patches with standing water and this is what my air filter looked like after vacuuming off and filter box after the cover removed.

af1.jpg

af2.jpg

airbox.jpg

Lid was on tight and mud/water did not get anywhere near the top of the grille. This is definitely a problem and am going to advise anyone looking at this to carry at least one or two filters if you're going to be going through water or mud pits.

ETA: All of the previous concerns I had with bronco just took a back seat to this. If the problem is systemic, engines gonna be hydro locking like crazy. No way would I trust this on a stream/river crossing I couldn't walk across and not get water in my boots.
What do you think caused the water ingress (e.g., radiator fan, splashing)? How deep were the mud patches? Did you hit them at speed? 🤔

I’ve been through numerous mud holes and water crossings — common in the Ozarks; see my avatar — but I’ve never had water enter my air box, and I check it frequently and clean the filter and air box often with compressed air (e.g., twice in the last 30 days), because they do trap a lot of trail dust.

Genuinely curious.

PS - Video of a mud hole crossing several months ago…

Pic below of my air box and filter today, taken just a few minutes ago, still on the original filter…

Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. 0BE842C2-8191-4F68-8B8D-5B3B4CCE9EF0

Last edited:

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What do you think caused the water ingress (e.g., radiator fan, splashing)? How deep were the mud patches? Did you hit them at speed? 🤔

I’ve been through numerous mud holes and water crossings — common in the Ozarks; see my avatar — but I’ve never had water enter my air box, and I check it frequently and clean the filter and air box often with compressed air (e.g., twice in the last 30 days), because they do trap a lot of trail dust.

Genuinely curious.

PS - Video of a mud hole crossing several months ago…

Pic below of my air box and filter today, taken just a few minutes ago, still on the original filter…

0BE842C2-8191-4F68-8B8D-5B3B4CCE9EF0.jpeg
Only 2, wouldn't say at speed but the second was faster than the first but not any higher. Bill @evilletruck posted the video several weeks back, I am the white BL.

Here are two more pics after I rinsed off before we went Sunday. I stuck a piece of foam in a cutout on the support trim panel because it looked like the stuff came in from that area. The other possibility is it somehow came in from the flapper that's supposed to divert the goo out from the inlet. I guess it's possible there was a surge upward and it came in from the bottom but still, WTF. I noticed in Microcat the Raptor air box is different and uses a flat square filter and the box is a little different. Wonder if it was done in part because they know these suck water and better the water be in the bottom of the box with the filter suspended above instead of a couple inches above the bottom of box.

Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. inlet1

Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. inlet2

Raptor/Warthog box.

Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. 1657107167406

Macjr

Black Diamond
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2.3 auto in a 4 door BD w Sas, I love it. More than happy with it and tons of fun!

Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dang I guess I better check ours out. We did a LOT of puddle splashing in the UP. Maybe a re route to the fender area like Chevy trucks have. Heck if run the Everglades snorkel if it looked just s little nicer.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a 2.7 on order but have the 2.3 in my '21. I've been perfectly happy with it, decent power. It will be interesting to see when (if) my 2.7 arrives to compare the two.
We have one of each. While the 2.3 is perfectly acceptable and does everything needed. When I get back on mine the 2.7 has more umph for sure. Most noticeable passing on the highway. 2.3 looks like it would be easier to change oil and work on tho.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dang I guess I better check ours out. We did a LOT of puddle splashing in the UP. Maybe a re route to the fender area like Chevy trucks have. Heck if run the Everglades snorkel if it looked just s little nicer.
FA-2022 is the Motorcraft number.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Interesting it appears they have no flapper at all for water intrusion. Like driving in heavy rain. There has to be a drain somewhere. Even just these parts if the area was somewhat protected from splash might help.
Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. C7A9735D-3EED-4DA0-B7BD-2F02962E49F8

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No issues with fording water with my 2.7L. If the alternator fails, it is a warranty repair. Drive your truck and enjoy it.
Sorry but warranty means squat when you are stranded out in the middle of nowhere because your alt gave out (Broncos appear to quit if the alt is not working, regardless of the battery charge).

In addition there has been at least one member who's dealer would not cover the alt under warranty because of mud intrusion.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Only 2, wouldn't say at speed but the second was faster than the first but not any higher. Bill @evilletruck posted the video several weeks back, I am the white BL.

Here are two more pics after I rinsed off before we went Sunday. I stuck a piece of foam in a cutout on the support trim panel because it looked like the stuff came in from that area. The other possibility is it somehow came in from the flapper that's supposed to divert the goo out from the inlet. I guess it's possible there was a surge upward and it came in from the bottom but still, WTF. I noticed in Microcat the Raptor air box is different and uses a flat square filter and the box is a little different. Wonder if it was done in part because they know these suck water and better the water be in the bottom of the box with the filter suspended above instead of a couple inches above the bottom of box.

inlet1.jpg

inlet2.jpg

Raptor/Warthog box.

1657107167406.png
I found the video. It shows one of the two crossings, it wasn’t very deep but you were definitely coming in hot, as you can see from the mud splashing above your hard top.

Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. F30D67BB-FDAD-4557-AFAD-A19AD5F4CA16

Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. 2BD7F3CA-439F-4017-A216-0DA348B6DC00

Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. D2B4C90B-8DE6-4891-9781-388F54C0C408
Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. 26AC6BD3-D8A7-49DC-B99D-50C4D82165A7

Last edited:

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found the video. It shows one of the two crossings, it wasn’t very deep but you were definitely coming in hot, as you can see from the mud splashing above your soft top.

Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. 26AC6BD3-D8A7-49DC-B99D-50C4D82165A7
Yes, I was throwing mud but did not push a wave like they demo'd at the OR. You can see this was nowhere near fording depth which is the issue I have with the ingestion. Absolutely taking full responsibility for how I drove because for me, this is about understanding capability so I can talk to our sale people and customers with some level of experience. Knowing this, I would not recommend anyone doing this until we figure out exactly how the crap entered.

I'm completely stock so between the under body shields, wheel opening shields or the down pressure from the those shields pushing the water up into the engine compartment, it got soaked. Hood seal appears to be good because there wasn't a stream of mud water across the support trim panel, just in the corner where the inlet is. Did it come through where I stuffed the foam? Around the other two seals? If it came from below and not the front or top, how do I shield this area from a direct splash? Something I need to investigate because I truly believe the park we were at is tame enough this shouldn't have been an issue. Yes, there's the factor of the driver and how obstacles are approached but I felt like I took a conservative line and with enough speed as to not get hung if I hit a pocket. I'm responsible for the vehicle but am concerned this happened in a matter of seconds and don't know the "why" yet. IMO, this shouldn't have happened unless it was a fluke or design problem.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry but warranty means squat when you are stranded out in the middle of nowhere because your alt gave out (Broncos appear to quit if the alt is not working, regardless of the battery charge).

In addition there has been at least one member who's dealer would not cover the alt under warranty because of mud intrusion.
You are only stranded if you go alone. Never wheel alone. A recovery strap and another vehicle can get your vehicle back to a point that a tow truck can take it to a dealership.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, I was throwing mud but did not push a wave like they demo'd at the OR. You can see this was nowhere near fording depth which is the issue I have with the ingestion. Absolutely taking full responsibility for how I drove because for me, this is about understanding capability so I can talk to our sale people and customers with some level of experience. Knowing this, I would not recommend anyone doing this until we figure out exactly how the crap entered.

I'm completely stock so between the under body shields, wheel opening shields or the down pressure from the those shields pushing the water up into the engine compartment, it got soaked. Hood seal appears to be good because there wasn't a stream of mud water across the support trim panel, just in the corner where the inlet is. Did it come through where I stuffed the foam? Around the other two seals? If it came from below and not the front or top, how do I shield this area from a direct splash? Something I need to investigate because I truly believe the park we were at is tame enough this shouldn't have been an issue. Yes, there's the factor of the driver and how obstacles are approached but I felt like I took a conservative line and with enough speed as to not get hung if I hit a pocket. I'm responsible for the vehicle but am concerned this happened in a matter of seconds and don't know the "why" yet. IMO, this shouldn't have happened unless it was a fluke or design problem.
I get it. I, too, would love to know where the water was getting in, because I encounter water crossings and mud holes on almost every local trail. They are hard to avoid here in the Ozarks, even on dry days.

Is it possible that the splashing was pushing up the drain flapper from the bottom, entering from below, and coating the inside of the air box?
Sponsored