Sponsored

2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting it appears they have no flapper at all for water intrusion. Like driving in heavy rain. There has to be a drain somewhere. Even just these parts if the area was somewhat protected from splash might help.
C7A9735D-3EED-4DA0-B7BD-2F02962E49F8.jpeg
The bottom of the box does have a 3/16" drain in it but if water can get out, it can also get in. I drilled another hole in mine where the stem in the circle sits in the bracket since it still had standing water in it and is also the lowest point in the box. I would prefer to see an inlet system closer to Raptor where the filter is suspended above the bottom box instead of in it like the current setup.
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get it. I, too, would love to know where the water was getting in, because I encounter water crossings and mud holes on almost every local trail. They are hard to avoid here in the Ozarks, even on dry days.

Is it possible that the splashing was pushing up the drain flapper from the bottom and entering from below?
It is very possible especially if any of the down pressure created a upward gush of water. If that's the case, is the flapper operating correctly, what is the normal position (open or closed), how is it designed to operate and why is the area directly below not baffled/shielded better to prevent a direct shot to the opening? If nothing else, I'll cut up a front aero shield and try to close the gap between the front fender liner and rad support. Enough so if you're looking down from that area, you won't see the ground which should eliminate the up gush theory.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is very possible especially if any of the down pressure created a upward gush of water. If that's the case, is the flapper operating correctly, what is the normal position (open or closed), how is it designed to operate and why is the area directly below not baffled/shielded better to prevent a direct shot to the opening? If nothing else, I'll cut up a front aero shield and try to close the gap between the front fender liner and rad support. Enough so if you're looking down from that area, you won't see the ground which should eliminate the up gush theory.
The drain flap is hinged and normally closed by gravity. If It was spring loaded, even with a light spring, it probably would not operate effectively. You can actually open it easily with your fingers through the air intake, without removing the air box cover. It doesn’t appear to have any protective splash shield below it to prevent water entering from splashes below.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have the 2.3 and I am very happy with it. Save for one item. It sounds just terrible. And I am not unhappy just surprised at the piss poor MPG it gets.

Last edited:

Sponsored

internationlriders

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2.7, have done lots of winter water fording, and my favorite thing about the 2.7 is how great it is in 4low on gas since you don't typically get into boost. Also I find its got a lot more torque at low speed crawling stuff than any of the Bronco and Jeep 4 cylinder options since those need to be revved up a bit more to get power in 4low. That being said I'm still really digging the 7spd with the 2.3 and thinks it's a totally fun combo. Also I don't think you will notice much difference between the two engines on the road when cruising.

twyoung1975

Base
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 C10, Nissan Versa, Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I really like my 2.3 with the 7 MT, I really like it. As far as power, it's more than adequate. It's no powerhouse, but it has enough power, and can be pretty fun when paired with the manual

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does it look like the Everglades' snorkel can be easily retrofitted to the 2021 Bronco? Or is it complicated by a completely re-designed air box?

I'm completely stock so between the under body shields, wheel opening shields or the down pressure from the those shields pushing the water up into the engine compartment, it got soaked. Hood seal appears to be good because there wasn't a stream of mud water across the support trim panel, just in the corner where the inlet is. Did it come through where I stuffed the foam? Around the other two seals? If it came from below and not the front or top, how do I shield this area from a direct splash?
You said the hood seal is good, but did you notice whether or not mud splashed up from below onto the underside of the hood? I'm curious if it could have drained down into the opening to the air box, since the front of the hood appears to be the low point for the underside of the hood. 🤔

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does it look like the Everglades' snorkel can be easily retrofitted to the 2021 Bronco? Or is it complicated by a completely re-designed air box?

You said the hood seal is good, but did you notice whether or not mud splashed up from below onto the underside of the hood? I'm curious if it could have drained down into the opening to the air box, since the front of the hood appears to be the low point for the underside of the hood. 🤔
Not sure on EG retro but would need to replace the fender too?

Underhood is covered with mud spatter and consistent throughout the whole compartment with the exception of rad support trim panel. So yes, splash under hood, but no evidence stuff ran across trim to the inlet, just residue right at the inlet on the right side.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure on EG retro but would need to replace the fender too?

Underhood is covered with mud spatter and consistent throughout the whole compartment with the exception of rad support trim panel. So yes, splash under hood, but no evidence stuff ran across trim to the inlet, just residue right at the inlet on the right side.
On other makes/models of off-road vehicles, snorkels are easily retrofitted on stock fenders by simply cutting an access hole via template and then bolting a trim panel around the opening to seal it. Is there more involved here (e.g., formed channels or snorkel support brackets on the EG fenders)?

Thanks for checking the hood underside. 👍

Sponsored

JustSendItDude

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I love my 2.3 7MT, as a newbie to off-roading, it’s a bit challenging wheeling in still. I understand why the Offroadeo stopped offering the 7MT at their events.

Those of you with a 2.3 MT, does your turbo BPV make a clicking/popping noise as shown in my video? Could a few of you hop into your 2.3 MT and see if you can recreate the same noise? My service advisor took one quick listen and said “oh that’s normal.” But, I’m not sure I believe him. Any feedback with those with the same engine and transmission would be awesome!

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm very happy with the 2.7l, but after driving a 2.3l loaner for a couple days, I'd also be happy with that as well. I thought it was more than enough power off the line. Not as smooth feeling though.

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

FWIW. I don't give a dang which you have, the water fording thing is crap. The first time I went with this thing I hit two legit mud patches with standing water and this is what my air filter looked like after vacuuming off and filter box after the cover removed.

Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. FullSizeRender.MOV

Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. FullSizeRender.MOV

Lid was on tight and mud/water did not get anywhere near the top of the grille. This is definitely a problem and am going to advise anyone looking at this to carry at least one or two filters if you're going to be going through water or mud pits.

ETA: All of the previous concerns I had with bronco just took a back seat to this. If the problem is systemic, engines gonna be hydro locking like crazy. No way would I trust this on a stream/river crossing I couldn't walk across and not get water in my boots.
As I mentioned to you mine showed signs up water intrusion as well but I think yours is even worse, and I may have been in a couple of deeper puddles at even higher speeds before too :) Not sure how yours seems to have let in even more.

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

actually looking back at video I had maybe not too much worse

Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. 1657141869131

Ford Bronco 2.3L or 2.7L is everyone happy with either engine. 1657141918795

ssavell

Outer Banks
First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Would the roush cold air intake prevent this since it’s sealed? Or would it still be susceptible?
Sponsored