Sponsored

2.3L Potential (Cobb, Mountune, Livernois)

DonsBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would stay away from Livernois for two reasons, (1) I can't ever trust them after how they treated me, but (2) the most important thing for future updates. They use a hand held tuner device that is unique to them. So if you ever decide to have someone else tune the Bronco no one else can use there hand held device.

If you go with a Cobb Access Port, a SCT programmer, or even a N Gauge just about anyone can use those devices, Mountune uses a Cobb tuner and I have had good luck with them and the Cobb Access Port when I had a Focus ST. I have also been using SCT programmers on Ford vehicles for years, and just about anyone can use there programmer. I know a lot of people who have used N gauge with good results.

So make sure you use a programmer you won't be locked into just one company
Sponsored

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Only for the manual and not getting forced to pay for the Sasquatch package on Badlands to get the 4.7 axles
I'm waiting for the final numbers and prices from Ford, could be they make the 2.3 cost effective. But if going to the V6 10speed is 3k or less I think I'll have to do it - as much as I want that manual.

I think that the 2.3 gets 28-32 MPG in the Mustang and 19-21 MPG in the Ranger is concerning to me. It appears it's working considerably harder in the the truck application.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Anyone used 5 star? This pretty much sold me on being ok with the 2.3 (learning how to not be part of the “bigger is better” crew. I’m very ok with these numbers, and you can run the Ngauge or SCT/Bully Dog tuners.

I know early on, according to the Ranger5g forum, they were having minor issues, but 5 star took the time to address everyone on the forum and correct the tuning, they all seemed happy after the fact.
Just my .02

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone have plans to Build their 2.3 Bronco, like forged internals, motor swap, bigger turbo, etc?

Been reading a lot about EB mustangs and they have some really big HP builds, built 2.3s and 2.0s, With the numbers of Broncos being built, the aftermarket should be extensive. I want The manual so have to get the 2.3 when I would really prefer the power And potential of the 2.7.

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor SuperCab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m hoping the Bronco with a tune, IC, down pipes, and cold air intake can be in the neighborhood of 350whp and over 400ft-lbs. If the manual can hold that power it would be very tempting over the 2.7L and auto. Later down the line throw a small upgraded turbo on it and see if it couldn’t safely and reliably push 400whp and 450ft-lbs.

From what I’ve very briefly read that seems doable with the mustang version of the 2.3L on stock internals.

Sponsored

Chrisr24

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I currently own a new ranger with the 2.3. It's a pretty peppy engine for such a big vehicle. I also have an intake, intercooler pipes, blow off valve, and 3 inch exhaust. To top it off it's got a livernois tune and i can tell you the 2.3 tuned is a whole new animal. So if anyone is worried that engine wont be powerful enough it definitely will be.

elseminoleguapo

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm waiting for the final numbers and prices from Ford, could be they make the 2.3 cost effective. But if going to the V6 10speed is 3k or less I think I'll have to do it - as much as I want that manual.

I think that the 2.3 gets 28-32 MPG in the Mustang and 19-21 MPG in the Ranger is concerning to me. It appears it's working considerably harder in the the truck application.
My girlfriend has a 2.3 mustang with the auto. It definitely doesn't get 28-32 mpg. Averages 21-22. It's not an efficient 4-cyl. by any means.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I currently own a new ranger with the 2.3. It's a pretty peppy engine for such a big vehicle. I also have an intake, intercooler pipes, blow off valve, and 3 inch exhaust. To top it off it's got a livernois tune and i can tell you the 2.3 tuned is a whole new animal. So if anyone is worried that engine wont be powerful enough it definitely will be.
any Dyno of your Ranger you could share?

OJ_Loose

Badlands
First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also have a new ranger and even stock motor its peppy and surprisingly great for that truck
Sponsored