Sponsored

2.3L Potential (Cobb, Mountune, Livernois)

BroncoRod

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I opted for the 7-speed 2.3L. I am assuming this is the same engine in the Focus RS, Ranger, and Mustang. The tuning potential is there with aftermarket parts that will probably bolt right in if that is the case. Mainly I opted for this because of the 7-speed but I am looking forward to getting more power out of this. The 7-speed I read is good for 400 lb/ft of Torque. We shall see!

The Bronco's seven-speed manual is a Getrag unit, part of the company's new family of six- and seven-speed longitudinal manuals that it calls MTI550. The 550 stands for its torque capacity in newton-meters, which equates to 406 lb-ft. The turbocharged 2.3-liter inline four-cylinder, the only engine available with the manual, is comfortably under that, with a peak of 310 lb-ft and 270 horsepower.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33301752/2021-ford-bronco-manual-transmission-specs/
Sponsored

Last edited:

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Subscribing for sure.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can tell you they make power, don't mind the lack of pics, here's an old build thread:

Gia the Assassin

Made 275whp on a HD (Truck) Roller at JDM Engineering in Freehold, have that printout in my old room at my parents house, so I'll take a pic and upload it later

Definitely excited for the 2.3 and manual, though wonder what parts will be available right out of the gate, just wonder if the Intercooler will be a weak link

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious, how do we handle the 406 tq rating?

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curious, how do we handle the 406 tq rating?
Its probably very conservative and I would think the clutch would go before the transmission. We will find out in time and there will have to be some guinea pigs. A lot of shops will have have their Broncos and be modding and tuning the crap out of them. I’m not that familiar with the 2.3 Eb but come from multiple FBO Subarus and adding 100hp and Torque is within reason and what I would expect to see from modded 2.3 Broncos

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Old Dyno, tuned by Nishan and without a HFC

Ford Bronco 2.3L Potential (Cobb, Mountune, Livernois) Dyno 1.JPG

JDM's would look lower when I take it, but again, HD rollers vs standard car ones

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Saw a Post by Cobb tuning saying they can’t wait to get their hands on a Bronco. Ive been using Cobb on my Subarus since 2007 and they have multiple Ecoboost products.

I think the aftermarket will be huge for Bronco 2.3. There are already companies making built 2.3 EBs and turbos. For any of us who are planning on modding their 2.3 Broncos.

I have to think that the max torque on the 7speed is conservative but we will see when these shops Like Cobb get their hands on them And start tuning. I’m also wondering if Ford will offer their performance tune for the 7speed Due to the torque. Maybe they will exclude it.

I tuned my STis before they hit 10k miles so I could see myself running the $825 Ford tune for a year or two and then going more aggressive.

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am opting for the 2.7 I had a 15 mustang with the 2.3, had a light tune on it and the engine blew at 25k miles. I believe they haBe made improvements to the 2.3 over the years, but a little gun shy towards it now.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am opting for the 2.7 I had a 15 mustang with the 2.3, had a light tune on it and the engine blew at 25k miles. I believe they haBe made improvements to the 2.3 over the years, but a little gun shy towards it now.
the 2.7s blow up too unfortunately. If they offered the 2.7 with manual, I would get one too.

They say you gotta pay to play so I’m already researching built 2.3 motors, turbo upgrades, etc.

I’ve had a couple of FBO STis and Subaru EJ25 motors are prone to blowing up as well. MANY examples on the STI forums. I got lucky with over 160K miles on two tuned cars. Hoping same luck with the Ecoboost ?

Sponsored

AKaye

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Corvette Grand Sport, 2005 Ford Focus SES
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Saw a Post by Cobb tuning saying they can’t wait to get their hands on a Bronco. Ive been using Cobb on my Subarus since 2007 and they have multiple Ecoboost products.
+1 for Cobb as well. I used the Accessport3 on my Focus ST for years. Ran the Cobb tune for a bit as well before switching to a more custom tune. The ability to be able to switch tuners and also being able to read live data from the device is such a big deal for me. Plus the hardware resellable to a new owner. The SCT BDX seems to have similar options as well.

I couldnt imagine spending $500+ dollars on a tune from a company which only offers their tunes on their proprietary device. I know livernois used to do something like this not sure about now-a-days.

Azie

Badlands
First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have Cobb Accesstuner and some tuning experience for both my Fiesta ST that has the 1.6L Ecoboost, and a friend's Ecoboost Mustang which has the same 2.3L Ecoboost the Bronco will have. Boost and torque control is quite precise, so keeping the engine under the known torque rating of the transmission won't be an issue, though some will likely try to push the boundaries. I'd be confident in pushing ~440lb-ft. Assuming 20% losses this would allow for ~400whp@6000rpm with a larger turbo, though the power curve may not feel very exciting with the gradually tapered up boost.

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why would someone want to tune a 2.3 vs just upgrading to the the 2.7. The cost and MPG will be the same...

The only reason I'm even considering the 2.3 is for the manual, and looking at the value/economy of the 2.3 vs the 2.7 I just can't make sense of the 2.3.

I know its powerful enough, it seems reliable enough, but if a 4-banger is not going to be cheaper and get better MPG than a bigger engine why get it?

Azie

Badlands
First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why would someone want to tune a 2.3 vs just upgrading to the the 2.7. The cost and MPG will be the same...

The only reason I'm even considering the 2.3 is for the manual, and looking at the value/economy of the 2.3 vs the 2.7 I just can't make sense of the 2.3.

I know its powerful enough, it seems reliable enough, but if a 4-banger is not going to be cheaper and get better MPG than a bigger engine why get it?
Only for the manual and not getting forced to pay for the Sasquatch package on Badlands to get the 4.7 axles