First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I might have to do that. I have a TRD 4runner with a Supercharger, so I have increased the power by ~ 30%, so the only thing I do not like about the 4RN is the lack of a manual transmission.

The Bronco, has been on my radar for years due to the manual, but the weight and 2.3 engine have me slightly on the fence. I do not need the power for around town, but it is nice for passing on highway and the occasional time when you have an open road, also the sound will be a factor, generally the 4cyl do not sound as good. Looking forward to some manual transmission reviews.
test drive the ranger, you won’t be disappointed in the engine (as for the 10 speed, I wasn’t a fan.... but I hear it gets better as it learns).
Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So to answer your question: The 2.3 has better torque-to-weight ratio and is capable enough to haul 13,801 lbs in Ranger (4,441 curb weight + 7,500 max towing + 1,860 lbs bed payload), I think that juuuuuuuuuuuuuust maybe the 2.3 might have the testicular fortitude to propel a Sasquatch equipped Bronco.
*pushes up nerd glasses*

Technically you have to subtract tongue weight from payload, so subtract 15% of the 7500 trailer weight (1125lbs). And note that the payload value is a theoretical maximum, and every feature on the truck subtracts from that, so most Rangers are actually in the 1200-1500lb available payload. So if you're towing the max, you technically shouldn't have a passenger.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
*pushes up nerd glasses*

Technically you have to subtract tongue weight from payload, so subtract 15% of the 7500 trailer weight (1125lbs). And note that the payload value is a theoretical maximum, and every feature on the truck subtracts from that, so most Rangers are actually in the 1200-1500lb available payload. So if you're towing the max, you technically shouldn't have a passenger.
*pulls down pants*

Well said, Bronco will absolutely weigh more than full-tart Ranger. Along with that, the 2.3 engine won't even be able to get a Bronco out of the driveway, let alone down to grab the stripperista stand for a gawk&Americana on that block your wife doesn't know about.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
*pulls down pants*

Well said, Bronco will absolutely weigh more than full-tart Ranger. Along with that, the 2.3 engine won't even be able to get a Bronco out of the driveway, let alone down to grab the stripperista stand for a gawk&Americana on that block your wife doesn't know about.
Ford needs to install a reverse crawler gear so that the thing is even capable of moving in reverse.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ford needs to install a reverse crawler gear so that the thing is even capable of moving in reverse.
Backing through a stripperista line has been scientifically proven to be over 70% more effective at obtaining stripperista phone numbers than driving through forward.*

*based upon research performed in my own lab while owning a right hand drive JDM car

Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If I had a dollar for every "4dr 4 cylinder" thread...

How many 2.0t Jeeps on 35+'s are there out there, this'll be fine
If I had a dollar for every time you praised the little 4 cyl. I'd be able to afford a V8 swap by now and not have to deal with all this "will it have enough power" bullshit ;)

Godzilla or Baby Godzilla.... here I come!! ?

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

the torque will pull you off the line and get that initial start. horsepower is what gets you going while you are already at speed. you want a fast car, get a sports car. you are driving an offroad vehicle, consider what you want when deciding the engine. i'm getting the 2.3 because i don't need the speed. highways are usually slow, city driving doesn't need me to gun it, and the laws in my province are harsh.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

... I also feel apprehensive about not getting the trail turn assist on the larger 4 door, which I think only comes with the 2.7 on the badlands trim. I'm ordering tomorrow and hope the dealer can clear up if it can be had with the 2.3l and automatic.
You are incorrect with the assumption. TTA is a function of the automatic transmission irregardless of the engine. This was answered in the "GOAT Modes Explained" video produced by Bronco Nation.

BearPatrol

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
You are incorrect with the assumption. TTA is a function of the automatic transmission irregardless of the engine. This was answered in the "GOAT Modes Explained" video produced by Bronco Nation.
Oh that's good to hear. One of the reasons I was pushing for the 2.7 originally.

Also trying to decide if I should go 2.3 & spend roughly the 1800ish on bolt on mods + tune overtime, or just pony up for the 2.7... & further down the road still customize & mod anyways...

Sponsored

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From a European perspective, seeing all of you Americans always wanting the biggest most powerful everything is really funny.
In Eur, most small city cars come with 70HP base, 110 is top of the line. A mid sized 4x4 would be considered powerful enough with 180HP.

And yet here a 270HP engine is not enough. We need a V8 700HP, because why not pollute as much as we can the wild places we will go explore with those Bronco just so that we can get to 60 mph 1 second faster and show the neighbor we got more money than him?

Pathetic.

Erasmus

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From a European perspective, seeing all of you Americans always wanting the biggest most powerful everything is really funny.
In Eur, most small city cars come with 70HP base, 110 is top of the line. A mid sized 4x4 would be considered powerful enough with 180HP.

And yet here a 270HP engine is not enough. We need a V8 700HP, because why not pollute as much as we can the wild places we will go explore with those Bronco just so that we can get to 60 mph 1 second faster and show the neighbor we got more money than him?

Pathetic.
just because Europeans buy crap doesn't mean we have to

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Backing through a stripperista line has been scientifically proven to be over 70% more effective at obtaining stripperista phone numbers than driving through forward.*

*based upon research performed in my own lab while owning a right hand drive JDM car
Theres a goat mode for that?

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Pathetic.
Welcome to the USA. Glad to have you. ?