NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
nope, I have a FE reservation because when orders opened back in July 13 I got that one first without knowing details about it. That’s also my last gas vehicle. Can’t wait to get an EV 4x4 with decent range, charged with my house solar panels cause you know, electricity produced by coal in this country is not exactly clean.
This is news to me as someone that’s worked a lot of hours in modern coal plants and scrubbers.
Sponsored

3Dogs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Escape, 2000 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This topic has been beaten to death, but I just can't help myself...

I don't really give a rat's ass about performance. If I cared about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times, I'd buy a Tesla. So, I'm getting the 2.3l/7sp in my tank of a 4-door Badlands build.

But, I was curious about the expected performance vs. my current daily driver, a 2016 Escape, with the base 2.5l (170hp) engine. The Escape has a curb weight of 3,500 lbs. The 2.5l is rated for 170hp. That gives 20.5 lbs/hp.

The Badlands is estimated to have a curb weight of 5,000 lbs. The 2.3l is rated at 270hp for 18.5lbs/hp. So, the Bronco should be quicker than the Escape, which is no slouch.

But, the 2.3l is turbocharged, so I wondered how that will affect acceleration off of the line. Here are the power and torque graphs for both engines:

Escape, 2.5l:
Ford Bronco 2.3L power to weight ratio 1611540413333

Bronco, 2.3l:
Ford Bronco 2.3L power to weight ratio 1611540477968

The first thing to note is the 2.3l is a beast! It's putting out 150 ft-lbs of torque at 1000 RPM, compared to the 2.5l's 80 or so. In fact, it's close to double the 2.5l throughout it's entire range.

So, I'm not worried about performance.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have posted a bunch on this topic, we have both power plants in our family fleet. With any of the “better” gearing options the 2.3 will be great. I went back and forth, liking the lower cost and lighter weight of the 2.3 and the benefit of DI/Port fuel, durability and excellent low end torque of the 2.7. I only ordered the 2.7 after passing a slow moving truck on a two lane highway on the way to the dealer. My wife and I looked at each other and she said, just order the V6. I like both so much, if the 2.7 is a huge delay, I will order the 2.3.

Seralan

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 2500HD, Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If we are comparing 2.3 MT to 2.7 AT, then we also have to consider the power losses in the Auto... Not that a human can outshift the auto per se, but MT drivers will be able to control their shift points with less loss in the drive train. Also, FPP might offer a tune which would me a tuned 2.3 w/ factory warranty could have a better ratio when you consider the losses.

And for those saying don't get the bigger tires or don't squatch the 2.3, I say get the extra load (XL) 35" Nitto Grapplers with some trail series Method wheels and you'll actually save ~20 lbs per wheel/tire compared to Squatch.

You also have to account for the torque multiplication provided by the torque converter. You loose some efficiency sure, but people always forget what makes autos good.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Badlands is estimated to have a curb weight of 5,000 lbs. The 2.3l is rated at 270hp for 18.5lbs/hp. So, the Bronco should be quicker than the Escape, which is no slouch.
The N/A Escape's 0-60 time is over 9 seconds. o_O It's literally one of the slowest vehicles you can even buy today. If that's your metric for "no slouch," then almost any other car you can buy will feel like an absolute rocketship to you.

Sponsored

BattleBornBronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You also have to account for the torque multiplication provided by the torque converter. You loose some efficiency sure, but people always forget what makes autos good.
Good point! I like autos on the trail. The one pedal driving is going to be awesome. Couldn't afford everything and I gotta psych myself up on the manual. Can't wait to see dyno figures for the Bronco for not just the auto vs manual, but also between the I4 and V6. Was telling myself the GVWR was the issue with the auto, but that's marginal (<50 lbs IIRC).

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The N/A Escape's 0-60 time is over 9 seconds. o_O It's literally one of the slowest vehicles you can even buy today. If that's your metric for "no slouch," then almost any other car you can buy will feel like an absolute rocketship to you.
My daily is similar to the escape, possibly slower, yet I still manage to get annoyed by all the slow cars on the road.

Seriously what is the point of having all that HP if you never use it?

Kytann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150 5.0, 2013 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Compared to a similarly priced F150 it's going to be slow
That's my dilemma right now. Stick with a Bronco and the 2.3L with a manual transmission, or go with another F150 with the V8, that actually weighs less than the bronco. I love stick shift, but I also love speed.

It's such a bean counter move to only offer the manual with the small engine....

Any, here are some numbers I have been thinking about. Estimated based on articles in the case of the Bronco.

4-Door Bronco Badlands
Curb Weight 4831 lbs (based on GVWR - Payload)
HP 270 (based on current Ranger)
Lbs/HP 17.69

4-Door Supercab F150 5.0
Curb Weight 4810 (based on GVWR - Payload)
HP 400
Lbs/HP 12.03

2-Door Regular Cab 2012 F150 5.0 (my current truck)
Curb Weight 4940 lbs (based on GVWR - Payload)
HP 360
Lbs/HP 13.72

I'm usually not one to care about raw numbers, but dropping by 1/3 is something you are going to feel every time you want power.

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

for those that are interested I was doing some hauling to dump and when left got actual weight of my 2019 ford ranger with 2.3 full tank(except 11 miles to dump) and me and wife plus some general stuff. ( tools, 4 way tire iron and backpack with lap top and husky puppy) the weight came in at 5001 lbs empty on way out. This is with lift and running 285/70/17 radar renegade RT tires and lifted. gives good comparison for the Bronco with 2.3 as the ranger does awesome even without tune and have done some pulling of AR190 Yamaha boat and overlanding gear (RTT, generator 18 gallons water 2 12 v fridges and all the comforts. going from Springfield to Branson area has lots of hills and had no issues with plenty of power left.
Is this with the 3.73 gearing or have you upgraded that?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I must have forgotten what made automatic transmissions preferable, again. What was it?

Ford Bronco 2.3L power to weight ratio 2de1bb584645b30f5aaea359f93685a3[1]

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I must have forgotten what made automatic transmissions preferable, again. What was it?

Hahaha I'm happily getting an auto. Driving stick in Houston traffic isn't as fun as maybe it once was. Plus my Subaru is such a slow poke that when I miss a shift it can be kinda dangerous.

Seralan

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 2500HD, Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

While this technical drawing clearly shows the bulk of AT transmission features. It leaves out that power loss should have “twist multiplier” included in the description.

Everyone gets so hung up on crawl ratio’s, but what you really want is torque measured at the hubs. An auto with 2x multiplication from the torque converter with a 67:1 crawl ratio still makes approximately 25% more twist at the wheels from a stop then a MT with 100:1 crawl ratio.

M2C

J_Meh_Cray_D

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While this technical drawing clearly shows the bulk of AT transmission features. It leaves out that power loss should have “twist multiplier” included in the description.

Everyone gets so hung up on crawl ratio’s, but what you really want is torque measured at the hubs. An auto with 2x multiplication from the torque converter with a 67:1 crawl ratio still makes approximately 25% more twist at the wheels from a stop then a MT with 100:1 crawl ratio.

M2C
I’m literally too stupid to know if this is a joke or not 😂
Sponsored