Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands; 2022 Maverick Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While pondering my powertrain choice I've been going back and forth on adding a tune to the 2.3L or optioning up to the 2.7L. My preferred build is a 2.3L Badlands w/ the manual. Will the extra torque from adding a tune such as a the Ford Performance package below for the Ranger impact clutch longevity on the manual? I do plan on taking my Bronco off the beaten path which will obviously cause more wear and tear.

2019-2020 RANGER ECOBOOST POWER PACK PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION| Part Details for M-9603-REB | Ford Performance Parts
Sponsored

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

While pondering my powertrain choice I've been going back and forth on adding a tune to the 2.3L or optioning up to the 2.7L. My preferred build is a 2.3L Badlands w/ the manual. Will the extra torque from adding a tune such as a the Ford Performance package below for the Ranger impact clutch longevity on the manual? I do plan on taking my Bronco off the beaten path which will obviously cause more wear and tear.

2019-2020 RANGER ECOBOOST POWER PACK PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION| Part Details for M-9603-REB | Ford Performance Parts
One thing to remember, those are CRANK numbers, not actual power to the rear wheels. In reality you’re probably close to 300-315 hp/ 325-340 torque with a manual. Should be well within operating range and shouldn’t hurt your longevity.
I’m planning on 7mt as well and have been eyeing this and hoping they give us a factory tune under warranty as well. Otherwise I’ll probably end up with a 5 star tuner after warranty.
Edit: mine will be off road at least every other weekend, so I’m actually intending to use mine like yours as well.

OP
OP
H0pelessOpus

H0pelessOpus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One thing to remember, those are CRANK numbers, not actual power to the rear wheels. In reality you’re probably close to 300-315 hp/ 325-340 torque with a manual. Should be well within operating range and shouldn’t hurt your longevity.
I’m planning on 7mt as well and have been eyeing this and hoping they give us a factory tune under warranty as well. Otherwise I’ll probably end up with a 5 star tuner after warranty.
Edit: mine will be off road at least every other weekend, so I’m actually intending to use mine like yours as well.
Good point. I think with the addition of a tune and an oil catch can the 2.3L will serve me well for many years. I don't know about you but I plan on holding on to my Bronco for quite a while.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good point. I think with the addition of a tune and an oil catch can the 2.3L will serve me well for many years. I don't know about you but I plan on holding on to my Bronco for quite a while.
I’m in it for the long haul, too.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am really hoping there is a ford performance tune for the 2.3 including the 7spd. One big reason is the pro cal also does code scanning and clearing along with you being able to change for tires and even if ever needed gears.

Sponsored

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If Ford doesn’t do a perf tune, I’ll wait until warranty is up and go 5 star. Been my plan since the beginning.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the tuned 2.3 in my mustang lasted 3 years (62k miles) before it needed to be replaced. Just make sure you get an extended warranty.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the tuned 2.3 in my mustang lasted 3 years (62k miles) before it needed to be replaced. Just make sure you get an extended warranty.
Go search any of the Ecoboost Mustang groups for the word "ecoboom"

OP
OP
H0pelessOpus

H0pelessOpus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Obviously I'd prefer an OEM Ford Performance tune but am willing to go 3rd party if necessary. Based on other threads I don't think a tune would necessarily void the warranty.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oh, I’ve thought about it too....

Sponsored

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Obviously I'd prefer an OEM Ford Performance tune but am willing to go 3rd party if necessary. Based on other threads I don't think a tune would necessarily void the warranty.
it depends - if you tune the engine and you end up having an engine failure that they can tie back to it being tuned (too much boost, too much timing, etc) - they can deny the claim.. or if the transmission starts having issues because of the added torque/hp you're pushing to it - that could be denied.. but if you have a problem with a leaky roof, they're not gonna be able to blame that on the tune, LOL

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I know 5 star offers an extended warranty for purchase on the Ranger tunes, I imagine it would be available for the Bronco as well. If it goes boom due to the tune, they will cover it.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not planning on going that crazy; Catch Can, HFC DP, Intercooler and Charge Pipes, CAI, Tune, Spark Plugs and if need be, Clutch, Heavy duty Clutch Line, definitely short shifter, and see what else.

Sure it'll be fine, assuming I'm not too much of a Maniac in black, sure someone will design a 6spd replacement that can handle moar powa

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
you destroyed an engine in just three years, by messing with the tune specs? Holy crap. That sounds like a very foolish thing to do to a new vehicle.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you destroyed an engine in just three years, by messing with the tune specs? Holy crap. That sounds like a very foolish thing to do to a new vehicle.
had nothing to do with the tune - it had to do with poor head gasket design, which is why there's a class action lawsuit about the engine failures. Also, go search an Ecoboost Mustang forum for the word "Ecoboom" and you'll find out how common it is ...
Sponsored