Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I believe that the power of the 3rd gen Tacoma 3.5 V6 w/ 278 hp compares well with Ford's 2.3L Ecoboost w/ 270 hp.
Peak power doesn't really tell you anything about normal cruise conditions, only about maximum acceleration at full throttle. You've mentioned the Tacoma can cruise at 4-5k RPM on the highway - if an engine makes more power down low, it doesn't have to rev way up to get into the powerband, and that's something you don't see in peak numbers.

Even though the peak horsepower numbers are comparable, the power delivery is totally different. Plus, like you mentioned, the turbocharged engine doesn't suffer at altitude to the extreme that an NA engine does, so the difference will be much less noticeable.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Get In The Bronco

Get In The Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just went on a JL Jeep forum and read about the 2.0L. Seems like those have been doing good as overland vehicles and even people enjoying them with 37’s and no other power mods. So I guess what I’m saying is that my mind has been made up... I think.... If the 2.3L is even just as good as the 2.0L in the Jeep then I am pretty sure that the Bronco with the manual will surprise me and make me happy. Now the question is what trim. ?

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just went on a JL Jeep forum and read about the 2.0L. Seems like those have been doing good as overland vehicles and even people enjoying them with 37’s and no other power mods. So I guess what I’m saying is that my mind has been made up... I think.... If the 2.3L is even just as good as the 2.0L in the Jeep then I am pretty sure that the Bronco with the manual will surprise me and make me happy. Now the question is what trim. ?
2.3 would be plenty for both, however I see it best with the 2 D and 2.7 with 4D. If mid package came in the base model, I would do the 4D which includes auto tranny and just pay for mid pkg and 2.7 and be done, plus update the rims/tire

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People are always forgetting what’s turbo can do to a motor. For the persons living at altitude, a NA motor typically loses 3% of its power for every 1k feet in elevation gain. While there aren’t any solid figures on a turbo’ed motor, it’s definitely not going to be the same as a NA motor. If HP is comparable, when going up in elevation, the boosted motor will have more HP. If pulling heavy loads at elevation, a larger intercooler may be needed but it will do fine.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're gonna wanna get an upgraded intercooler+Charge pipes to avoid heatsoak

Then while you're at it, since that's part of a st2 package, throw in a CAI and Downpipe, then don't forget the spark plugs

Now you need all the parts to work together, so you tune it, and now you're most likely making more power than a stock 2.7tt (With Tq possibly close)

Remember, according to this, " The 2.3L EcoBoost's factory tuning leaves plenty on the table for 5-Star to work with and really transform your Ranger. The average baseline power output of 5-Star's test truck at stock 93 octane was about 256 horsepower and roughly 281lb-ft of torque. With 5-Star's powerful 93 octane Performance tune, that same 2.3L EcoBoost truck put down an average of 312 horsepower and 369lb-ft of peak torque. That's a gain of 56 horsepower and 88lb-ft of torque over stock at peak increase. Most impressively is that the maximum gain in peak torque took place at 3450rpm, where stock torque sat at a measly 281lb-ft, giving you a big bump in pulling power and off-the-line performance without the turbo lag and hesitation of the factory tune. In additional testing, the tuned Ranger performed a 0-60 MPH test in only 5.49 seconds while the stock clocked in at a significantly slower 7.44 seconds with the same test conditions and constraints. The power gains are paired up with greatly overhauled transmission shift points and shift pressures which take most of the sluggishness out of your 2019-2020 Ranger and let you really enjoy its improved power output. "

At no point there does it mention additional mods, so imagine what else you can make with the stuff I mentioned

Sponsored
OP
OP
Get In The Bronco

Get In The Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Loving this conversation! I am sold on the manual. If HP and TQ becomes a problem I will start with a larger intercooler after warranty runs out and go from there. I also plan on doing a Ford tune if they offer one if not I suppose I’ll go with something like 5 star. I can’t find 93 octane often so a 91 tune will be needed. And then will also immediately get a catch can. May as well keep it as clean as possible to run better longer and it’s fairly cheap.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The 2.3 will easily get the job done. I am just concerned it is a 100K engine and replace scenario; hence the 2.7. For all the 2.7 haters, the 2.3 has plenty of performance and it seems all I see is performance this and performance that. Long term reliability plays a bigger factor for me. Both engines perform.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.3 will work but on a 4 door I think you will be found wanting more. Loaded down with proper bumpers skids, and everything else your bringing, you will wish it was the 2.7. I am getting the 2.7 and I already wish it was a v-8.
Sponsored