Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Super Duty, 2018 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey Y'all! I'm sure there are plenty of threads on here about road trip experiences with the Bronco. For the small percentage of us that have a 2 door, or will soon be joining the 2 door club, I wanted to share my experience and thoughts with you on what to expect and try to alleviate any concerns you might have with the 2 door.

So quick info about my build: 2.7L, badlands, SAS, with Lux. Pretty much stock haven't done any crazy mods. Only swapped out them horrendous goodyear tires for BFG's. (More on that later)

#1 cargo space

First thing I want to mention is cargo space. This might be the #1 concern for most people thinking about getting a 2 door, which is why i wanted to talk about it first. Is it enough space? Is it manageable? The answer to both of these questions is, YES! BUT! (Yep there's a "but"..) but it is only enough cargo space for 2 people. Obviously the 2 door is not practical for a family. So if you are a couple, or hittin the road solo! The 2 door has plenty of cargo space.

I hit the road with my GF and with our luggage, recovery gear, tool bag, cooler, and other Misc items, I was able to fit everything with no issues. I have no plans to delete the rear seats, and folding them down provided me with enough space. Yes you gotta learn how to stack it all up to make it all fit nicely but it is doable. I do have the cargo basket from JCR and the ceiling net from Raingler and these additions really helped me with my organization.

Organization is key. Remember that.

So what about the weight? All that gear adds up pretty quickly eh? So with the SAS, bronco has a 1" forward rake. It was designed like this for a reason. After I finished loading up everything, the vehicle leveled out. So for those of you that want to do a 1" leveling kit in the front, just remember when you load down your rig, ass end gonna sag..so if you want it to look cool as a DD, and have no plans to gear up, go ahead and level it guess. If you do gear up, leave it stock.

#2 Fuel economy and range.

I traveled from Houston to Moab. Round trip (roughly 2500 miles, 20hrs) My range on a full tank fluctuated between 200-280 MTE. 10-18 mpg, avg 15mpg. Since the 2 door has a smaller tank, I had to plan my stops accordingly. Pretty much stopping from gas station to gas station in order to make it. I do have a Jerry can, but that was for emergency in case one of these smalls towns didn't have fuel. Perhaps that's me being overly cautious but there's no such thing as overkill in my book.

While we are on this topic, I wanted to bring up the ford performance tune. I do not have it and I'm sure some of you have it or thought about getting it. I believe the tune requires premium fuel only? Well...from what I've seen, once I left a major city, I did not come across premium fuel. So if you plan to take long road trips that take you across small towns or areas where you are pretty much in the middle of nowhere, the tune is probably not a good idea. Only gonna find 87. Correct me if i'm wrong but i dont think 87 is premium fuel? Imo, amount of hp and torque is not justified to get it. Ya some people want it to fix the turbo lag, mostly for 1st to 2nd gear. If you are gonna trailer it, ya seems acceptable to get it.

#3 vehicle issues

So how did she perform? Did I have any issues with the 2.7? Was she buggy? How was it being in driver seat during those long hours? Any body damage from them tires slinging up rocks? Whats that B&O sound system been like? How about that hardtop?

Well I'm happy to report I did not have any issues. She was an absolute champ. No issues with the 2.7. Engine preformed flawlessly. Android auto was awesome, no issues. Once I learned how to go full screen, the experience was even better. I've read some people having issues getting Google maps to show up on the screen. (Check on your updates?) Once I started her up, already on the screen setting up the route for my next stop.

Lane keeping and ACC. I think it comes with high package as well not sure, but is an absolute must for long distance driving. Ya it can get annoying at times in the city but on the open road it is f'in fantastic...pardon my french...

I have the MGV seats. Super comfortable. No complaints and didn't hear any complaints from my passenger either.

Goodyear tires that come with SAS are crap. They pick up every single rock and sling them up on the vehicle. It's not from the lack of coverage from the fender Flares. It's the tires and the tread design. I have BFG KM3's now. Far superior tire in every way imo and they also do not sling up rocks. I haven't had any chips in the paint since i swapped. Not one. I moved to a 0 offset and that hasn't created and problems either. My advise, avoid the SAS package or get rid of the goodyear tires immediately.

Ah yes.. the audio and the sub...bang bang! screech screech! Ratte rattle! I have the B&O system and yes i do have issues with the sub at low frequency bass. It does rattle. So I've been trying to fix it and so far no success. Pretty much gave up...but on this trip something was different. So the back was loaded up with gear, luggage and hard cases pushed up against the trim panels near the folded down seats and the back near the sub. While on the road, I noticed the rattling was gone. So I was like, "hmm..let me turn up that bass and see what happens" still no rattle! Praise the Lord! What a relief! So it appears..well for my bronco..pushing in the trim panels in the back or having a force applied to them stops the rattling. When I got back home and unloaded all the gear, the rattling returned. I was like, "well...that sucks..." but now at least I have something to go by and try to fix it for good.

So some of you might wanna hear about the hardtop due to the horrendous QC issues since it's been out. It's hard to give you a definitive response because sadly each hardtop is not built the same. Either you are fortunate to get a top quality hardtop, or it's is..well...just bloody awful. I'm fortunate that my hardtop has been flawless. Wind noise is barley noticeable. Only had wind noise in west Texas goin 90 with a crosswind. Rest of the time is was great, very quiet. QC been great from delivery. No honeycombing, cracks, panels not matching, no creaks or popping noises inside, no water leaks. I know people love to talk smack about the MIC top and yes they should! If you got issues, send it in and get it fixed. It's unacceptable. I'm not going to say I'm lucky, just blessed and I feel it's best to keep an open mind and stay positive about these hardtops. 2 door production is on hold right now I think and it's probably because of the hardtop. Hopefully they are taking the time to build them right, and if so I would be thinking about that in a positive way if my order was on hold.

Ya i know..that was quite a read. if you made it this far, thanks for your time! I hope I was helpful and gave you some positive insight! I'll probably drop another post with my experience in Moab on the trails in the future if y'all are interested to hear about it.

Stay classy!
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've done 4 long road trips, 3K+ miles each and will do another next week in my 2 door.

So far, yep space is not an issue, even with 3 people and all our gear. Gas mileage has been decent, 18+, on two trips and not so good on one that was all head wind and crosswinds, around 16mpg. No issues vehicle wise.

Lane keeping and adaptive cruise, yeah they can be nice on long trips, but not must haves at all. They are nice on my wife's vehicle, but I have no desire for them myself.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So far Moab has been our longest trip, about 2000 round trip, and we were able to pack gear and luggage for 3 but we used every inch and even took one rear seat out to buy a few more inches. Tennessee is going to be the real challenge, 5000 miles or so round trip.

The kid and I pack light, if only I could get the wife to cut down on bags...

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i had buzzing from my 12v cover from the sub, a random spot you don't think about.

Bigred86

Black Diamond
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2016 Harley Davidson Sportster48
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great write up! Thanks for your thoughts and information! Did you have fun on your trip?

Sponsored

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great post.

I love my 2 door, but storage is an issue. Either a top rack solution or some kind of swing away tow hitch platform Solution would be nice.

I’m not a fan of roof top storage so a tow hitch option would appeal to me more. Except no stock tow hitch which is kinda BS on that kind of vehicle .

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My ('21) Wildtrak is a pretty close match to @Gray_Ghost and I went on the longest trip with mine up to the Off-Roadeo in NH this past weekend. I found the truck very comfortable; the road noise was a little annoying, but the B&O turned up helped. This is not going to be our go-to long distance trip vehicle (we head down to NC twice a year). It was fun to take up there, but I'd rather not stress over Rocks against the window and scrubbing bugs out of every little crevice.

Other than that, I agree with all he had to say about trekking in my 2-door (proper Bronco!).

KRAKEN

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 DOOR BRONCO, 2014 F150 XLT, 2006 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the review. Very informative.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great post.

I love my 2 door, but storage is an issue. Either a top rack solution or some kind of swing away tow hitch platform Solution would be nice.

I’m not a fan of roof top storage so a tow hitch option would appeal to me more. Except no stock tow hitch which is kinda BS on that kind of vehicle .
I agree. I don't put anything on top. I was working on an over the tire basket but I don't want that weight on the tailgate and I don't want to give up clearance for a hitch mounded solution. So now I've moved on to building a custom bumper with swing away tire carrier that will hold more weight.

Sponsored

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

TLDR but in my 14k plus miles Id guess half are road trips. Ive taken it on at least half a dozen 800-1000mi round trip adventures with no issues whatsoever. Mine is a 2.3 non sas BD 4.46 gear with 295/70r17 tires. I average anywhere from 17-19mpg depending elevation (flat vs hilly). Cargo space is tight but when its just me or me and 1 other for a short trip its no problem. Ive always had 2dr sports cars or single cab trucks so Im used to limited space.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nice writeup. My longest trip has been around 1200 miles round trip. Performed flawlessly. I agree that 1-2 people the storage space is fine. More than that and you probably have to get creative. In the next year or two we'll be getting an RV and the Bronco will be a toad. Because the RV we're looking at is a bit more compact, storage space is a premium and I'll probably add a OEM rack to help carry a few items that can stand being in the weather.

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did almost 6k miles to Glacier NP and back to TN last year and was never uncomfortable or felt like I needed more space. That included luggage and fly fishing gear for two people. One thing of note was removing the factory roof rack didnt improve fuel mileage at all but did improve wind noise across the plains of MO and SD.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have to disagree on space being issue, but only had 3 people but there was room for a 4th.

Just got back from a 2k miler.

I took the hardtop off at the destination and put it back on before a rainy trip back, no leaks and no rattles.

I brought recovery gear that filled that Filson Bronco bag completely. I had a drone in a HF "pelican" case. I had tools and some miscellaneous roadside emergency stuff in a toolbag. We had a total of 10 pairs of shoes. I have the JCR spare tire basket but didn't use it. Tetris is your friend. Still had all the clothes, couple blankets, and pillows.

We didn't camp this time so no basket. @Tricky Dick I put all the lightweight bulky things on the JCR basket for camping and haven't had a problem driving 80... uhh... km per hour down to the Florida Keys and back (except forgetting loctite on a couple bolts). I unloaded the basket at camp and rarely had it loaded and on an opened tailgate, just common sense behavior in my opinion. I have had a pretty flawless ownership experience with the basket.

mtclimb3r

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used this on a recent trip to Moab: https://pakmule.com/product/pakmule-scout/

I took it off once I settled into a campsite and then was able to offroad without it. I DID have a swing arm too that allowed for me to access the back with the Pakmule on. I took that off too once in camp. The rear got a little saggy with how much weight was extended out on the hitch. Here's a picture:

Ford Bronco 2,500 mile road trip with 2-Door Bronco experience: cargo space, fuel economy, issues IMG_1955
Sponsored