broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I test drove a 2.3 and it’s more power than I’ll ever need, and definitely more power than my current SUV. I am happy to get better MPG too.
However I plan on keeping this Bronco 2-3y max so resale value is definitely a criteria. It seems to me most people on this forum go for the 2.7, so I am afraid the 2.3 will affect resale value.
What do you think?

Also do we have some real world 2.3 vs 2.7 mpg on current Ford vehicles?
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't have clue about mileage, but if you're only keeping the vehicle for a couple years, yeah, I think you want the 2.7 for resale.

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fuelly has MPG for the F150 2.7L and Ranger 2.3L which are close in weight to the bronco.

That short term though I don’t think it matters what you get since MY21 and 22 are going to be reservation only or limited dealer stock so someone who wants one will be willing to compromise on a few options I’d bet.

Long term a lot of people theorize that the 2.7L with its direct and port injection will keep the engine nice and clean so that might be a prerogative for people in 10years/100k+ miles

Fireman Dave

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If your going to trade it in at a dealer it won't matter. They are going to give you what the book value is and the up charge that you pay for the 2.7 when purchasing it will not be fully recovered. If your going to sell it yourself it then may be more of an issue of "desirability" to potential buyers. The dealers don't care, its worth what the book says and they really don't care how its optioned.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the 2.7 will be overall better but the 2.3 with 7sp with sasquatch or badlands to get the crawl ratio will also be desirable and maybe harder to find but with a more limited buyer.

Short term 2.7

Long term 2.3 7sp with the 4.7 rear

Just my .02

Sponsored

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
id argue that the 2.7 is only more desirable if compared to the 2.3 with the automatic. If its compared against the 2.3 with the manual, i wouldnt be suprised if the 2.3 manual would be the more preferred/valuable combo down the road

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7L with auto will hold more value for the average consumer. The 2.3L with the manual has the potential to hold more value for an enthusiast. I see the 2.3L with auto as the least valuable option long term, but it's all about finding the right buyer.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The V6/auto has a price at purchase so that'll be factored in to KBB or whatever guide dealer wants to use. You also need to factor in that you won't be paying that on the sticker if your staying 2.3/manual which is $1895 at full value, so what, maybe a V6 will be an extra 1k at trade-in?

What was stated above about the manual is true to me as well and will hold more weight selling to an enthusiast over a dealer since they're going to be harder to find and might be gone altogether in 3 years.

OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just to specify: I never trade in, only sell direct. Also not interested in manual.
My upfront cost for 2.7 is 1800. So I guess my question is 3 years from today, for 2 exact same bronco Big Bend Sasquatch one being $47K today with the 2.3, the other one being $48.8K today with 2.7L, will I have more trouble selling the 2.3 for a good price if no one wants it.

I guess it's an impossible question to answer but was looking to get opinions.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Also not interested in manual.
Answered your own question. :)

If the person looking to buy your Bronco is similar to 95% of the nation, they won't even know how to drive a stick and wouldn't respond to your add if it was a manual. You're going to want to keep this vehicle spotless and use the word "ceramic coating" a LOT in the flyer.

If the person looking to buy your bronco wants it specifically for being one of the last vehicles with a stick and the amazing crawl gear ratio so they can do Bronco things with a Bronco they wouldn't respond to your add if it was a slushbox. Take pics after you drove through that dirty puddle the one time, then scrape the paint with a screwdriver and claim it is from being offroad so much.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
id argue that the 2.7 is only more desirable if compared to the 2.3 with the automatic. If its compared against the 2.3 with the manual, i wouldnt be suprised if the 2.3 manual would be the more preferred/valuable combo down the road
I don’t know...the Jeep resale of the manual with the little engine doesn’t bear that out. I would agree if they eliminate the manual at some point, but unless they do, the market will demand more big engines with autos.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't believe most cars have higher resale values for having less drivetrain options. :)

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't see you getting the full $1800 back personally, the average person won't care if it has "the big engine" or not.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Answered your own question. :)

If the person looking to buy your Bronco is similar to 95% of the nation, they won't even know how to drive a stick and wouldn't respond to your add if it was a manual. You're going to want to keep this vehicle spotless and use the word "ceramic coating" a LOT in the flyer.

If the person looking to buy your bronco wants it specifically for being one of the last vehicles with a stick and the amazing crawl gear ratio so they can do Bronco things with a Bronco they wouldn't respond to your add if it was a slushbox. Take pics after you drove through that dirty puddle the one time, then scrape the paint with a screwdriver and claim it is from being offroad so much.
I just watched a spy movie and I read this post with that "tone of voice". :LOL:
Sponsored