Sponsored

2.7 Adv 4x4 OBX 2 Door Build - Front LSD, HF Winch, RC Hidden Mount/Skid Plate - DUNDRTY

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So this post is currently a place holder for my planned build. So here is the vehicle specs and then the planned build:

Vehicle: 2021 2 Door Bronco in Carbonized Gray with Roast Interior.
Trim: OBX
Drivetrain: 2.7l V6, automatic transmission, advanced 4x4 transfer case with 4.27:1 gears and a rear locking differential.
Options: LUX and TOW

Initial Planned upgrades:
17 inch rims
295/70R17 M/T tires
Pneumatic hood struts
Winch Mount and Skid Plate
Winch
Helical gear torque-sensing limited-slip differential
Possible re-gear to 4.10, 4.56, 4.88, or 5.13:1 gears - wanted to keep 4.27:1 but might not be possible.

Goals:
Retain all the cool sensor tech.
Improve off-road traction.
Increase ground clearance.
Improve maintainability.

Mark's Bronco Sticker jpeg.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks solid.

I’m not sure exactly how much off-roading you are planning on doing. The winch tells me a fair amount, but the 33” tires suggests maybe the winch is more for the “cool” factor. But either way, the 4.27 gear ratio with 33’s should be fine in most situations. Probably won’t need to re-gear unless you are looking to do a lot of rock crawling type stuff. And if you are… probably want 35s or 37s.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks solid. I’m not sure exactly how much off-roading you are planning on doing. The winch tells me a fair amount, but the 33” tires suggests maybe the winch is more for the “cool” factor. But either way, the 4.27 gear ratio with 33’s should be fine in most situations. Probably won’t need to re-gear unless you are looking to do a lot of rock crawling type stuff. And if you are… probably want 35s or 37s.
Funny, that must mean that any Jeep with less than a 35" tire is not really meant for "off-roading" and only cool factor.

It is my intention to build something with more of a high speed off-road type approach and less of a rock crawl approach. The winch was two-fold, first, I had decided to forego the front locker, and second, I am more likely to be pulling others out of trouble than myself. I am think that many people will be surprised at the articulation a 2 Door 33.5" tire build vs a 4 door Sasquatch build has.

The Outer Banks has 7.9" of front shock travel and and 9.8" of rear suspension travel.
Any Sasquatch package has 8.35" of front shock travel and and 9.8" of rear suspension travel.

That's only a difference of about 0.45" (6%) in suspension travel in the front and 0% in the rear, but the 2 door has approximately a 12% advantage in RTI between the 2 door and the 4 door. I do plan to add a better suspension in the future, but I want to see what becomes available, I am only planning on about 1.5" of lift.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looks solid.

I’m not sure exactly how much off-roading you are planning on doing. The winch tells me a fair amount, but the 33” tires suggests maybe the winch is more for the “cool” factor. But either way, the 4.27 gear ratio with 33’s should be fine in most situations. Probably won’t need to re-gear unless you are looking to do a lot of rock crawling type stuff. And if you are… probably want 35s or 37s.
I offroad 4 days a week on 31s in my comanche. But they are mud tires and I have a winch. A 2 door is going to be very capable on 33s. I like the idea of a nice simple small rig that is equiped enough to show the expensive builds how to have fun.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I offroad 4 days a week on 31s in my comanche. But they are mud tires and I have a winch. A 2 door is going to be very capable on 33s. I like the idea of a nice simple small rig that is equiped enough to show the expensive builds how to have fun.
This is what I am going to run initially off-road

MT tires and RTR rims.jpg

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've heard good things about em. I have GT Radial Komodos on my wheeler. I dont think they have any that fit the Broncos but I have over 2 and a half years on em with life left and much abuse. Some of the off brand tires are pretty good.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Funny, that must mean that any Jeep with less than a 35" tire is not really meant for "off-roading" and only cool factor.

It is my intention to build something with more of a high speed off-road type approach and less of a rock crawl approach. The winch was two-fold, first, I had decided to forego the front locker, and second, I am more likely to be pulling others out of trouble than myself. I am think that many people will be surprised at the articulation a 2 Door 33.5" tire build vs a 4 door Sasquatch build has.

The Outer Banks has 7.9" of front shock travel and and 9.8" of rear suspension travel.
Any Sasquatch package has 8.35" of front shock travel and and 9.8" of rear suspension travel.

That's only a difference of about 0.45" (6%) in suspension travel in the front and 0% in the rear, but the 2 door has approximately a 12% advantage in RTI between the 2 door and the 4 door. I do plan to add a better suspension in the future, but I want to see what becomes available, I am only planning on about 1.5" of lift.
Yeah, I wasn’t trying to be disparaging or anything like that. It’s just typically if you are looking at a winch, you’re looking at doing more rock-crawling type off-roading situations, and usually if you are doing that… you’re looking at 35s minimum and usually 37s-40s.

That said, I‘m putting 33s on my Bronco, and I have zero intention on going rock crawling for the foreseeable future. Yet I also plan on putting a winch on my Bronco. Will I ever need to use the winch? Probably not, like you said… if I use it it’ll probably be to pull others out or to do some yard work in my back yard.. I’ll freely admit the winch for me is like 90% ”cool” factor and 10% functionality.

I was just making assumptions (which I probably shouldn’t do) to see if the 4.27 would be enough for what you’re looking to do. Based on what you described above... it is.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

What’s the status with your bronco these days? Shipped yet?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Will I click on this hoping you had actually built it, but oh well a little bit of clickbait.

I was curious about the Hidden Winch because consensus is that it won't work on the 2.7 due to the cooler that it wasn't there on the base model that RC used for their prototyping.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was just making assumptions (which I probably shouldn’t do) to see if the 4.27 would be enough for what you’re looking to do. Based on what you described above... it is.
As it looks right now, I will probably be running 4.56's. The Dana 30 4.27 gears may not work with the setup I have (and no other 4.27 gears are currently available from the aftermarket). 4.56 front and rear gears are available however. The Torsen diffential should arrive today.

What’s the status with your bronco these days? Shipped yet?
Unfortunately, not yet. I have most of the other parts in hand.

Will I click on this hoping you had actually built it, but oh well a little bit of clickbait. I was curious about the Hidden Winch because consensus is that it won't work on the 2.7 due to the cooler that it wasn't there on the base model that RC used for their prototyping.
It's not clickbait, I have the winch and Rough Country mount right next to me. It is my already built Bronco that's missing!

The concensus is correct, until I relocate the heat exchanger. It's not really a cooler, because all it does is keep the transmission fluid at the same temperature as the radiator.

So the question becomes, do I relocate it or replace it with a cooler. Obviously, I will have to make a choice. The one thing that I am sure of is that it won't work as is.

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Curious why the LSD in the front with no lock out hubs? Any concern for rough handling characteristics on road?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yeah, I wasn’t trying to be disparaging or anything like that. It’s just typically if you are looking at a winch, you’re looking at doing more rock-crawling type off-roading situations, and usually if you are doing that… you’re looking at 35s minimum and usually 37s-40s.

That said, I‘m putting 33s on my Bronco, and I have zero intention on going rock crawling for the foreseeable future. Yet I also plan on putting a winch on my Bronco. Will I ever need to use the winch? Probably not, like you said… if I use it it’ll probably be to pull others out or to do some yard work in my back yard.. I’ll freely admit the winch for me is like 90% ”cool” factor and 10% functionality.

Believe it or not - people get stuck in mud and have to winch out too. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Curious why the LSD in the front with no lock out hubs? Any concern for rough handling characteristics on road?
I decided not to Sasquatch because I didn't want to run 35's or run 4.70 gears, so I compromised by getting a rear locker and 4.27 gears with those ugly ass 18 inch OBX rims.

The helical geared LSD's are usually pretty good for handling around corners without being overly aggressive (which is why you find them in Miatas). The upside is that it shouldn't be a problem with the handling anymore than it is in the F-150 Raptor (which is running a similar setup - rear locker, front helical lsd).

There are upsides and downsides of the these Torsen style differentials. Most notable downside is that if you lift a wheel, the other wheel will not get any power... Both wheels must have some traction.

For instance, in a 4:1 bias Torsen, if the loose wheel can only manage 10 ft/lbs of engine torque before slipping, then the maximum amount of torque that can be applied to the other wheel would be 40 ft/lbs. This makes them great for Baja type runs, but absolute shit for rock-crawling.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As it looks right now, I will probably be running 4.56's. The Dana 30 4.27 gears may not work with the setup I have (and no other 4.27 gears are currently available from the aftermarket). 4.56 front and rear gears are available however. The Torsen diffential should arrive today.

Unfortunately, not yet. I have most of the other parts in hand.

It's not clickbait, I have the winch and Rough Country mount right next to me. It is my already built Bronco that's missing!

The concensus is correct, until I relocate the heat exchanger. It's not really a cooler, because all it does is keep the transmission fluid at the same temperature as the radiator.

So the question becomes, do I relocate it or replace it with a cooler. Obviously, I will have to make a choice. The one thing that I am sure of is that it won't work as is.
It just meant that based on the title I thought you had already done it. I wanted to know for a fact whether or not their hidden winch set up work on the 2.7 because if it does, I'm sold.

I'm not worried about big old mud puddles and not being able to get to the winch. I just want to be able to myself off of something if I get stuck. And I love the fact that it works with the factory bumper, cuz that's one less huge expense I would have to pay for... Cuz one way or another I'm going to end up with my Winch in my Bronco.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It just meant that based on the title I thought you had already done it. I wanted to know for a fact whether or not their hidden winch set up work on the 2.7 because if it does, I'm sold.

I'm not worried about big old mud puddles and not being able to get to the winch. I just want to be able to myself off of something if I get stuck. And I love the fact that it works with the factory bumper, cuz that's one less huge expense I would have to pay for... Cuz one way or another I'm going to end up with my Winch in my Bronco.
It definitely will work, but not until I move the heat exchanger.
Sponsored