Sponsored

2.7 auto tranny has learning process break in? I hope…

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Put about 75 miles so far in mostly around town driving, and unfortunately a few bouts of gridlock traffic by bad luck.

I noticed occasionally when slowly picking up speed from 5-20 mpg the tranny is hunting gears. Feels like it’s slipping or kicking back very slightly trying to pick the right gear.

Sometimes it feels a bit concerning but im pretty sure I’ve read the 2.7 auto has a learning period. So I hope this is normal? I’ve never really witnessed this in any of our newly purchased cars in the past but it sounds like this is unique to this tranny
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Heh... sounds like the same complaint the F-150 owners had with the 10R80 transmission. The 10R60 in the Bronco is a newer transmission than the 10R80... so it should have solved most of the issues that the 10R80 had. But since they're roughly based on the same design I'm not completely surprised. (Yet another reason why I'm option to get a manual.)

Either way, it's still a 10-speed transmission, so it'll do a lot more shifting than the 5-8 speed automatics of old. There is an adaptive system that will learn the quirks of the transmission over time, but it probably won't be a dramatic change. If you are sitting in traffic like that, I usually change my vehicle to Eco mode. That should cause the transmission to do dramatically less "gear hunting" when accelerating, but your throttle response is gonna be sluggish. Probably not a big deal sitting in traffic though.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Heard they take a few hundred miles to start figuring out your driving style... or maybe that's how long it takes the driver to adjust. Never noticed it in my dad's F-150, but him and I have similar driving styles.

Duke460

Outer Banks
First Name
Earle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the 10 speed in my f150. Just drive it your normal way at let it learn. Turn off the gear indicator and don’t over think it. computer is smarter than I am, great transmission.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
At 1700 miles I think it’s one of the best autos I’ve ever owned

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The powertrain is an adaptive system and never really stops learning. It will behave based on your driving habits. Not that you want to be a NASCAR driver with it but definitely give the vehicle the full range of motions: part throttle, half throttle and full throttle.
Yeah. At a speed limited 104 +/- mph we be falling infield from the banking at Daytona. Might as well take off the doors before they get blown off, lol

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
800 mile learning period, IIRC.
Sponsored