First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m sure this question has been asked plenty of time before but after all the KOH videos I’m now conflicted, for budget reasons originally I was Black Diamond all the way, the MGV is a must for me and so is an Automatic transmission, and mid package. I have my 4 door black Diamond with 2.7L, Mid, and MIC top ordered already. Reached out to the dealer to get some pricing on a badlands with high package (love the 12 inch screen and 360 camera) and essentially I am comfortable with the payment difference in doing Badlands with the 2.3 and High package. It will be my daily driver with beach driving a few times a year and maybe some trails. Opinions?
Sponsored

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.3L/2.7L dilemma is a tough one for sure. I think if you NEVER drive a 2.7, you'll never complain about what the 2.3's 270hp does for the Bronco. Then there's always room to grow a little with the Ford tune.

Edit: But I'm still gonna try like hell to fit the 2.7 in my budget. Sorry no help here partner.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The price difference for that camera and screen is pretty high (effectively about $6000 for the model change plus another $1295 for the package, if you don't need the BL capability), even with ditching the 2.7 (to get the $1900 back). Since you were okay with just a rear locker, you might want to split the difference and look at the OBX outfitted with a locker/A4 transfer case. You will shave a few thousand off the BL ( more than enough to get your 2.7 back) at the expense of having to vacuum sand out of the cloth seats from time to time. Just suggesting you take a run at it in the B&P, might be surprised.

edit below;

If I wasn't so mule headed and fixated on the manual transmission, that is the route I would go. don't need a front locker, don't need half a bazillion pounds of armor, trading the steel bumper for fog lights would be more useful for me in real usage. I do like the easy to clean out MGV though.

Last edited:

MtnBronc

Badlands
First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it makes you feel better I looked into the 2.3 because I wanted the MT. Saw a video of the 2.3 in a ranger pulling a trailer with 5,000lbs over Eisenhower pass here in Colorado. That went a long way to make me feel that the 2.3 will be plenty capable, even in my 4dr Badlands.

Sponsored

OhhhhhhSnap

Black Diamond
First Name
Elan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pathfinder, 04 F150, 14 CRV. 22 BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If it makes you feel better I looked into the 2.3 because I wanted the MT. Saw a video of the 2.3 in a ranger pulling a trailer with 5,000lbs over Eisenhower pass here in Colorado. That went a long way to make me feel that the 2.3 will be plenty capable, even in my 4dr Badlands.
Hmm that helps. One of my the main reasons I wanted 2.7 was for Vail Pass.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That was exactly my logic, and due to my no-compromise requirement of a manny tranny plus the old-guy creature comforts of the High Packages, I changed my reservation from a BD MT to a BL MT for these reasons.

And then the KOH vids confirmed this was a good move when I saw how good this BL <suspension> setup really is.

<edit>

Last edited:

zrizik99

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 2016
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2.3 is a great engine in the Ranger. Test drive that and see if you are ok with the power. Ford wouldn't of gone 2.3L as standard if it doesn't work.

I went 2.7L, but I also Sasquatched my BD. I also wanted the higher HP. The BL is a heavier vehicle than the BD given the front locker and sway bar and other standard options, but the 2.3L should be fine. My dealer recommended the 2.3L especially given the part constraints on the 2.7L.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know it's hard to decide without test driving and having feedback from the market, but I am confident most will really like the 2.3. With the 4.70 gears on the BL, it will be really good off road and at a minimum good on road. I ordered the 4dr BL 2.7 mid, but I am strongly considering swapping the 2.7 for high package, to try and keep somewhere near my budget and actually get a Bronco this summer.

Zeno

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Defender Trophy Edition, 20 Ranger, 911SC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2020 Ranger and pulled a loaded 8.5X16 TVR Enclosed Trailer from Birmingham, AL to Dallas, TX with no issues at all. Personally, I am so confident in the 2.3 that I ordered a BL with it so I would remove one of the deadly sins that would hold up production of my Bronco. Now I am only left with one deadly sin (LUX).

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

2.3 badmansquatch 2-door is the ONLY REAL BRONCO in my book

OP
OP

Hjhof

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.3 badmansquatch 2-door is the ONLY REAL BRONCO in my book
Well good thing your book is irrelevant. Thanks for the advice everyone else! Leaning towards the 2.3 now, I’ve only owned 4 cylinders my whole life and a 2.3 will still be a bigger 4 cylinder than the engines in my other cars so I wouldn’t really know what I’m missing.

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Hjhof FWIW - I test drove a Ranger and the 2.3 seemed very capable for the short time I drove it.
After reading many 2.3 reviews on B6G from folks with them in Rangers or other vehicles I have not read one comment stating the 2.3 hasn't been OK. I have heard some questioning the 2.3 and looking for evidence in case there is any available from members. No evidence provided from what I have seen.

The last comment I read was from a B6G poster who went to the KOH who mentioned a professional driver at the KOH said 2.3 is capable. Maybe the pro is suppose talk up everything Ford, I don't know?

After reading here for months, based on what you are inquiring about, I would go with BL trim & 2.3 vs BD trim & 2.7.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nobody ever said "I wish my care had less power", so there is your answer.
Sponsored