First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Before shortening your oil change interval, I highly recommend reading up on the benefits of synthetic oils. Some do not reach full level of protection until they reach 2-3000 miles. I have yet to do this for our (expecting) Bronco, but just because a person changes the oil sooner, does not mean it's better for the engine. It's unconventional in thought so for or against the idea, it's helpful reading up on it.
Sponsored

Reactions: Rpm

lasttj

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep TJ, '16 Ford F150, '65 VW Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Quick Recap:
1. Nano
2.Dual Injection
3.Do not drive like grandma going to church on Sunday
4.Use Synthetic oil often and
5. Premium Gas
When he says to use "premium" gas, I don't think he is referring to 93 octane. Just before he says to use premium gas, he says to use the recommended fuel. The owner's manual recommends 87 octane. When he says "premium" he talks about using gas that has the right additives and detergents. He specifically says not to use the "cheap" stuff. In others words, think Shell vs. Acme (I made that up) gas. That's my interpretation of what he is saying.

EDIT: I posted this before seeing 69 Mach 1's post on the previous page. I totally agree with him.

TJ308

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Ford Mustang LX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry, did you think people actually read, or think, before asking others questions? 😂

I'm with you, man. People's inability to be independently resourceful is nauseating.
Wait. So let me get this straight, you guys are saying no to the catch can? 🤔
😂😂

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good quality gas? How would you even know that? Also, I remember being told regular would be just fine, but OP says premium or quality regular, again how do I know? Thanks!
By good quality gas, he means top tier detergent gasoline, not 87 vs 93 octane. Any station with the following brands in the website below have top tier detergent gasoline with at least 5x the minimum epa recommended additives. On a personal preference, I would go to a station with more traffic, meaning fresher gasoline and a tank and pumping system that has been maintained.

toptiergas.com

eg: Costco has top tier gasoline and OP would recommend that for the bronco, but wouldn’t use Sam’s club or Murphy USA. This is unfortunate for me as the Sam’s is convenient for me, while Costco is considerably out of my way.

87 octane is fine unless you want the full performance or are towing near max capacity for a long trip. Definitely don’t use that garbage 85 octane found in Colorado or even 86 octane though.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As someone who has worked in the downstream side of the petroleum industry for 25+ years, I can tell you that while the majority of gasoline brands starts off with the same base product, the additive that is injected into it at the terminal side is substantially different. I highly recommend branded gasoline....Exxon, Shell, BP, etc.... I don't know that there is much difference in their additives (they all claim they have the best), but the amount that is added compared to unbranded stores (walmart, kroger, etc...) is huge. This may be what he means by premium gas....not necessarily 93 oct vs 87 oct.
(did not see the post right above mine, but I concur)
Well the ECM compensates for differences in octane or there would not be 3 listed power outputs. So detonation unless you get really crappy below 87 gas should not be a problem. What was not mentioned was use of Top Tier gas regardless of octane. I try to avoid any gas that is not Top Tier rated (other than the one local refinery which provides nearly all the fuel for all the brands within 150 miles direct sales stations). Although I will rarely spend the extra ti get gas with no ethanol. Since it is never as high octane as the highest.

I pulled into a BP in the middle of Nebraska and they had nothing that did not have at least 50% ethanol so I pulled put and went down the street to Shell.

Sponsored

cclkramer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 ford f350 diesel dually
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sounds like what too much stuff going on for me! I hope I'm able to pull off an oil change without messing something up. I know I'm not taking my new 2.7 Badlands to Jiffy lube! Thanks for the great video.

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

By good quality gas, he means top tier detergent gasoline, not 87 vs 93 octane. Any station with the following brands in the website below have top tier detergent gasoline with at least 5x the minimum epa recommended additives. On a personal preference, I would go to a station with more traffic, meaning fresher gasoline and a tank and pumping system that has been maintained.

toptiergas.com

eg: Costco has top tier gasoline and OP would recommend that for the bronco, but wouldn’t use Sam’s club or Murphy USA. This is unfortunate for me as the Sam’s is convenient for me, while Costco is considerably out of my way.

87 octane is fine unless you want the full performance or are towing near max capacity for a long trip. Definitely don’t use that garbage 85 octane found in Colorado or even 86 octane though.
I normally put Shell V power nitro in my car, got Costco premium once and my car hated it.

deanfromkelowna

Wildtrak
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I really like the 2.7l but I really dislike the 10R60. 🙁
Roger. I set my Wildtrak to sport mode every day and it seems to perform better. Time will tell if it's got the nuts. I have crawled a bit without issue. 4L, 4A and 4H seem to work just fine.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Right now all 6G broncos are new but in a few years if you are buying a used bronco this will be even more important information.
The frequency of oil changes and other up keep being more important then on simpler non turbo engines is good to know. Something to worry about on picking a used Bronco or to keep in mind if you plan on keeping it for a long time.

Sponsored

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is this is a "actual bad experiences" dislike or "conceptually I want the beefier 10R80" dislike?
I'm curious too because I'm really happy with the 2.7/10R so far. 🤷‍♂️

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I too was mega confused and asked my dad about it (retired Ford engineer). He gave me about a 30 minute in-depth explanation about it all. Super interesting, never knew so much went into engine oil.

The TL;DR version is that if you are changing your oil every 3000-5000 miles it really doesn't matter too much. If you are changing it 7500-10000 miles, should definitely look at full synthetic.
First, you shouldn't be changing the oil at 7500-10000. Second, the semi-synthetic is going to be 95% as good as ANY synthetic. So if you think that changing your oil at 7500-10000 with full synthetic is ok, then semi-synthetic would be fine to change at 7000-9500 miles. The real benefit of full synthetic is when everything else fails (extreme temperatures and loads) and not with regards to overall life. Overall life is more impacted by contamination than it is by the oil itself, and that is nearly independent, but not completely, of the ability of the oil to handle extremes.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Before shortening your oil change interval, I highly recommend reading up on the benefits of synthetic oils. Some do not reach full level of protection until they reach 2-3000 miles. I have yet to do this for our (expecting) Bronco, but just because a person changes the oil sooner, does not mean it's better for the engine. It's unconventional in thought so for or against the idea, it's helpful reading up on it.
how about the synthetic blend durability? I think that's what Ford puts in at the factory
Sponsored