Reaction score
Website
drivenwildgear.com
Vehicle(s)
17 f 250, 66 mustang GT, 91 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Eh, for the first oil change it’s not that crazy.

But ultimately all of this is a tradeoff between benefit and the almighty dollar. Whether we like to admit it or not, vehicles are a consumable product, so there is some give and take to all of this.

Is it better if you use to change the oil every 3000 and use full synthetic every time? Yes, but it’s going to cost a lot more money in the long run than using a synthetic blend. Is it better to use 93 Octane instead of 87? Yes, but would thousands of extra dollars spent on premium fuel be better spent on saving up for a new vehicle? Maybe, maybe not.

Are you really going to own the Bronco for 20+ years and 300,000 miles, or are you going to drive it 90,000 miles and trade it in in 5-8 years??

Everyone will likely have a slightly different answer.
There are a lot of new Turbo owners now with their purchase (or very soon) with the Bronco. Oil quality and the frequency of oil changes are critical. Turbo ownership has a learning curve.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My 2.0 is totally capable. That's coming from a guy who has a supercharged 5.0 Mustang.

The Jeep 2.0T with the Generator has plenty of torque when you need it.

As far as oil changes, my GF who knows nothing about mechanics stated "that oil looks pretty dark." Only 5,000 miles.
Gotcha. I thought you were saying that you could not even go 5,000 mi with the 2.0.

Yeah it doesn't take very long for oil to get black. There's an old-school way of getting an idea by putting a drop on a piece of thin paper and letting it dry to see where the dirt ring is.

But the proper way is to send a sample to black labs. Typically I do 10k oil changes and have some samples to black labs so I know I'm good.

But with a turbo, especially the fact that I'll be off-roading with it, I'm probably going to stick with 5K changes whether it be a Bronco or a Jeep.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The one thing that I think is a valid argument against the 2.7 is a belt driven oil pump, with plastic gears, which makes me want to know more about the anticipated life of the pump.

Hell, if they going to all that effort to run a belt driven oil pump, they should have just built it as an external dry sump system.

The oil pump does seem to be something that would have been better executed differently. I say that without knowing enough to know whether or not it will be durable enough as is.
If not, hopefully they designed it in a way that the oil pan can be removed somewhat easily and a new oil pump just put into place with a new belt.

Sponsored

Nobs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GMC Envoy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.7 drives like a f’n beast. Couldn’t be happier

OP
OP
Bronco wild outdoors

Bronco wild outdoors

Badlands
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Website
drivenwildgear.com
Vehicle(s)
17 f 250, 66 mustang GT, 91 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is a catch can needed?
Some manufactures have used them in the past, however, I have asked this question (with Ford) to see if it would void the powertrain warranty for some reason. I'm waiting on the answer.

Sponsored

Cjk.44

Badlands
First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curious if you can notice a difference when putting in premium v regular.
Hp, torque, mileage.
Is it worth putting 93 in?

Dr.Detroit

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F-150 XLT 150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Curious if you can notice a difference when putting in premium v regular.
Hp, torque, mileage.
Is it worth putting 93 in?
I do..but i think there is longer term implications as well.

SoCalDawg

Wildtrak
First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX 460
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m not sure how much it applies today… but my dad restored a lot of cars and built a lot of engines. He was super proud of a race 350 he built that ended up in a family car. I remember him telling me using full synthetic on a new engine wasn’t good as it was “too slick” and didn’t allow components to seat/break in well. He said blend until 10K or so.

Not sure this applies but made me think of him and all his lessons… for that alone I appreciate this thread. Damn I miss him. Best dad ever. I lived in the shop with him. Other parents told their kids to slow down.. my dad asked me if I lost a race (go carts, dirt bikes..) sometimes .. and if I said yes we got to work. No pro stuff.. just trails/tracks in GA.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
He did say premium and I agree with your determination of his meaning. BUT, near the end he states hp/torque numbers on 87 and the hp/torque numbers on 93 octane.!! I am hoping he meant the 93 numbers gained after a performance tune.!
The Horsepower and Torque gains are not due to a performance tune.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
By good quality gas, he means top tier detergent gasoline, not 87 vs 93 octane. Any station with the following brands in the website below have top tier detergent gasoline with at least 5x the minimum epa recommended additives. On a personal preference, I would go to a station with more traffic, meaning fresher gasoline and a tank and pumping system that has been maintained.

toptiergas.com

eg: Costco has top tier gasoline and OP would recommend that for the bronco, but wouldn’t use Sam’s club or Murphy USA. This is unfortunate for me as the Sam’s is convenient for me, while Costco is considerably out of my way.

87 octane is fine unless you want the full performance or are towing near max capacity for a long trip. Definitely don’t use that garbage 85 octane found in Colorado or even 86 octane though.
Anything below 87 Octane may invalidate your engine warranty.

Page 167 of your 2021 Ford Bronco Owners Manual.

"Your vehicle operates on regular unleaded
gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2
octane rating of 87.
Some fuel stations, particularly those in
high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as
regular unleaded gasoline with an octane
rating below 87. The use of these fuels
could result in engine damage that will not
be covered by the vehicle Warranty."
Sponsored