James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I realize there is another thread on this but didn't seem to be any consensus as to what is the correct capacity for the 2.7L engine. The owners manual calls for seven quarts, but multiple people completing oil changes say they only get six quarts out and six quarts back in brings it to almost capacity on the dip stick.

Has anyone figured this out?

These are the kinds of things that keep me up at night waiting for my baby to be built.
Sponsored

jhenson81

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If it's anything like most engines and the manual is correct, it would most likely be 6-6.5qts without a filter change and 7qts when changing the filter.

Edit: maybe the manual IS wrong. It looks like the 2.7 in the Ranger only takes 6 quarts.

Last edited:

MarkusBigBucks

Badlands
First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Superduty 7.3 PSD, 2017 Ford Escape.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I forget which video it was , but I remember somebody saying it held one extra quart more than the ranger for when going up steep inclines , suppose to keep from running out of oil. But thats just some random video I watched, I keep reading now it only holds 6.

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No one seems to be able to get 7qts in it. 6.5 is the most I’ve seen anyone manage.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Question: let's say the true capacity is in fact less than 7 quarts. What negatives would be associated with adding more oil than the actual capacity?

Sponsored

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question: let's say the true capacity is in fact less than 7 quarts. What negatives would be associated with adding more oil than the actual capacity?
IIRC, too much oil could hydraulic a component and in the extreme, cause engine failure.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

With the oil coolers and turbos, etc there are probably some places that oil can hide during an oil change.

I plan on filling to the dip stick tells me I'm good, regardless of how much I take out or what a Ford's proofread manual tells me.

Btw, I hate when something uses more than 5 qts because Then I have to buy 2 one gallon jugs :/

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Inside the engine, specifically the pan area, there needs to be enough vacant space for the pistons/crank movement. Their is a lot of air movement inside the crankcase as the pistons go up and down.

You've probably heard of the PCV valve.. it stands for positive crankcase ventilation (valve) and is design to allow that "wind" to escape but does it best to keep the oil in the bottom half of the engine.

When there's too much oil in the pan that "wind" forces more oil up through the PCV valve and it goes into the intake of the engine. In addition if the pistons come down and start slapping the oil too much, they can actually agitate the oil to the point that it begins to foam (foam does not provide lubrication). Also, if too much pressure builds up inside and it can escape (because the PCV valve is full of oil) the oil starts to find other ways out of the engine in the way of blowing past seals.

That's why they always say it's better to run a little under than over because unless you're angle is extreme, your oil pump will have plenty to pick up even if you are lower on oil.

Last edited:

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Inside the engine, specifically the pan area, there needs to be enough vacant space for the pistons/crank movement. Their is a lot of air movement inside the crankcase as the pistons go up and down.

You've probably heard of the PCV valve.. it stands for positive crank (case) valve and is design to allow that "wind" to escape but does it best to keep the oil in the bottom half of the engine.

When there's too much oil in the pan that "wind" forces more oil up through the PCV valve and it goes into the intake of the engine. In addition if the pistons come down and start slapping the oil too much, they can actually agitate the oil to the point that it begins to foam (foam does not provide lubrication). Also, if too much pressure builds up inside and it can escape (because the PCV valve is full of oil) the oil starts to find other ways out of the engine in the way of blowing past seals.

That's why they always say it's better to run a little under than over because unless you're angle is extreme, your oil pump will have plenty to pick up even if you are lower on oil.
Thanks for the explanation.

While I'm not good with the mechanics, I recognize the forum is just going round in circles on this question.

Maybe someone with a good understanding of this issue could shoot a PM to https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/members/ford-motor-company.21911/

Glenn Gray

Outer Banks
First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford f350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sponsored

MarkusBigBucks

Badlands
First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Superduty 7.3 PSD, 2017 Ford Escape.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

You've probably heard of the PCV valve.. it stands for positive crank (case) valve and is design to allow that "wind" to escape but does it best to keep the oil in the bottom half of the engine.

Bingo, right on and absolutely correct.

GRAYFOX-SVT

Outer Banks
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 SVT Terminator Cobra, Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wonder what they are going to put in at the dealerships when people go in for oil changes

jphillips2

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Supercrew 4x4 Sport 3.5 ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder what they are going to put in at the dealerships when people go in for oil changes
I’m here now. They’ve been confused for 10 minutes. Only will hold 6 qts. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sponsored